The Student Room Group

Further Maths gap year- problem selecting modules, NEED HELP URGENTLY!

Hello so I have just finished A2's and achieved in an A in Maths after completing
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1.
I wish to study further maths through the support programme however my Options are: FP1-3, S1-3, M1-3, D1-3 (OCR).

Since I have already done M1 and S1 for AS FM would I have to do FP1, D1, M2 and for A2 FM would I need to do FP2, FP3 and M3.
I plan to study engineering at university and so don't really want to study D2.
The problem is though, that there are no AS modules left for me to complete, so will I have to do M2 in my AS modules. This means I'm doing 4 A2 modules and 2 AS modules.Or will this somehow coincide with My Maths A-level I've already done and my S1/M1 will count as an AS module for FM.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Hello so I have just finished A2's and achieved in an A in Maths after completing
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1.
I wish to study further maths through the support programme however my Options are: FP1-3, S1-3, M1-3, D1-3 (OCR).

Since I have already done M1 and S1 for AS FM would I have to do FP1, D1, M2 and for A2 FM would I need to do FP2, FP3 and M3.
The problem is though, that there are no AS modules left for me to complete, so will I have to do M2 in my AS modules. This means I'm doing 4 A2 modules and 2 AS modules.Or will this somehow coincide with My Maths A-level I've already done and my S1/M1 will count as an AS module for FM.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Hi there.

If you have already aggregated your A2 Maths grades then the six modules you already have done will not be swapped with any of your Further Maths modules.

You have to do FP1 and FP2 for Further Maths, the other four modules you choose are entirely up to you! If you are planning on studying engineering then the Further Pure and Mechanics modules would be most useful to you :smile:
Reply 2
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1.

Thanks in Advance!!!

You don't really need to think about what units are AS and what units are A2. So long as you do FP1 and FP2 or FP3 (although for OCR you might need to do all three, not sure, but you are doing anyway), you can choose any other units not already used for Maths. 4 A2 modules and 2 AS modules is fine. Whatever centre you're doing Maths through could probably "unlock" your Maths modules by recashing the subject along with your Further Maths. This way modules can be swapped around (there are certain conditions on what can go where though) to give you the best possible grades/UMS (though they prioritise Maths grade > Further Maths grade > Maths UMS > FM UMS). They probably won't bother unless asked and this probably won't be necessary anyway but it's a bit of insurance I guess.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You don't really need to think about what units are AS and what units are A2. So long as you do FP1 and FP2 or FP3 (although for OCR you might need to do all three, not sure, but you are doing anyway), you can choose any other units not already used for Maths. 4 A2 modules and 2 AS modules is fine. Whatever centre you're doing Maths through could probably "unlock" your Maths modules by recashing the subject along with your Further Maths. This way modules can be swapped around (there are certain conditions on what can go where though) to give you the best possible grades/UMS (though they prioritise Maths grade > Further Maths grade > Maths UMS > FM UMS). They probably won't bother unless asked and this probably won't be necessary anyway but it's a bit of insurance I guess.

Hello, thanks for your help! So if I am self studying FM and sitting exams at a different exam centre than my school I studied maths at, do I just ask them if they could cash in my A2 Maths so I could swap modules between Maths/FM?
Original post by lizard54142
Hi there.

If you have already aggregated your A2 Maths grades then the six modules you already have done will not be swapped with any of your Further Maths modules.

You have to do FP1 and FP2 for Further Maths, the other four modules you choose are entirely up to you! If you are planning on studying engineering then the Further Pure and Mechanics modules would be most useful to you :smile:

Thanks, thinking of doing FP1, D1, M2 and FP2, FP3 and M3. Heard FP2 and M2/M3 are deadly though so might take D2 as apparently really easy to learn and means I won't have to take M3, though I want to study Mech. Eng so studying mechanics makes more sense.

Have you done FM? Would you say decision modules are easier? I took M1 for A2 and achieved 88 UMS, but took physics A2 and only achieved a B (2 ums off an A) :frown:???
Thanks
Reply 5
Hello, thanks for your help! So if I am self studying FM and sitting exams at a different exam centre than my school I studied maths at, do I just ask them if they could cash in my A2 Maths so I could swap modules between Maths/FM?

No worries. :smile: I'm not sure exactly how it works in this case with you being at a new centre; you might want to look up other threads on this, but it can't hurt to ask them about it. I can't really envision a likely scenario where you'd need it so I wouldn't worry too much. By the way the thing about doing multiple A2 units is that, if you're interested in going for A*, they take the average of you top 3 A2s (unlike Maths where it's just C3 and C4) for the 90% requirement which means you're allowed to even mess up a bit and get the grade. I know you didn't ask for this but it's nice to know. :tongue:
Thanks, thinking of doing FP1, D1, M2 and FP2, FP3 and M3. Heard FP2 and M2/M3 are deadly though so might take D2 as apparently really easy to learn and means I won't have to take M3, though I want to study Mech. Eng so studying mechanics makes more sense.

Have you done FM? Would you say decision modules are easier? I took M1 for A2 and achieved 88 UMS, but took physics A2 and only achieved a B (2 ums off an A) :frown:???
Thanks

The modules I did were C1-C4, FP1-FP3, M1-M2, S1, D1 and NM. The decision modules are definitely easier, I somehow managed 100 in D1 with minimal revision, so if you are looking for a "gift" module I would recommend D1. I can't comment on D2 but I doubt that is much more difficult. I would definitely do at least up to M2 if you are planning on doing engineering. My hardest module was FP3 by far, but also the most interesting. What exam board are you on?
No worries. :smile: I'm not sure exactly how it works in this case with you being at a new centre; you might want to look up other threads on this, but it can't hurt to ask them about it. I can't really envision a likely scenario where you'd need it so I wouldn't worry too much. By the way the thing about doing multiple A2 units is that, if you're interested in going for A*, they take the average of you top 3 A2s (unlike Maths where it's just C3 and C4) for the 90% requirement which means you're allowed to even mess up a bit and get the grade. I know you didn't ask for this but it's nice to know. :tongue:

Thanks! Yeh had some friends who took more modules to make sure they got the A* they needed. I'm hoping for an A though as only managed an A at Maths even though I got over 90 in every modulebar 1, but I got 91 in C3 and 87 in C4 lol :frown:.
If I could get an A in FM would really look good though and help me for first year uni!

Did you find FM help you in your uni degree?
Original post by lizard54142
The modules I did were C1-C4, FP1-FP3, M1-M2, S1, D1 and NM. The decision modules are definitely easier, I somehow managed 100 in D1 with minimal revision, so if you are looking for a "gift" module I would recommend D1. I can't comment on D2 but I doubt that is much more difficult. I would definitely do at least up to M2 if you are planning on doing engineering. My hardest module was FP3 by far, but also the most interesting. What exam board are you on?

OCR non mei. Don;t have the option of NM, but don't really know what that is haha. Will probably only do D1 as apparently M3 can be self taught quite easily.
Good luck :smile:
Why don't you resit C4 alongside FM to have an A* in Maths?
Thanks! Yeh had some friends who took more modules to make sure they got the A* they needed. I'm hoping for an A though as only managed an A at Maths even though I got over 90 in every modulebar 1, but I got 91 in C3 and 87 in C4 lol :frown:.
If I could get an A in FM would really look good though and help me for first year uni!

When you say 'the support programme' do you mean FMSP? If so then I thought they did MEI ...

Which board did you do at A level?
OCR non mei. Don;t have the option of NM, but don't really know what that is haha. Will probably only do D1 as apparently M3 can be self taught quite easily.

NM is Numerical Methods, basically non-algebraic solutions to equations, numerical differentiation, numerical integration etc... interesting module. It's only offered on OCR MEI though. That sounds like a wise choice :biggrin:
Reply 12

Well I wouldn't say your Maths performance indicates a cap on how well you can do especially since it was just C4 that let you down really (single exams are sometimes misleading; I got 87 in C2 and did better in far harder modules) But as you say A would look good anyway. :smile:

I haven't done my degree yet; starting in a couple of weeks. It's necessary for my degree so I hope it helps. :tongue:
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Good luck :smile:
Why don't you resit C4 alongside FM to have an A* in Maths?

Thanks! Only applying for AAA/AAB courses for BEng Mech Eng (warwick/ucl/sheffield/loughborough), and have already achieved these grades, so no need to retake C4 for A*. Would love to get an A in FM though as would help massively in first year uni for engineering, though apparently it's the hardest A-level so really scared, but if I could do like 2-3 hours a day I think its possible!
Original post by Muttley79
When you say 'the support programme' do you mean FMSP? If so then I thought they did MEI ...

Which board did you do at A level?

Yep FMSP. They also do regular OCR as well as MEI according to their website.
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/fmmature
Well I wouldn't say your Maths performance indicates a cap on how well you can do especially since it was just C4 that let you down really (single exams are sometimes misleading; I got 87 in C2 and did better in far harder modules) But as you say A would look good anyway. :smile:

I haven't done my degree yet; starting in a couple of weeks. It's necessary for my degree so I hope it helps. :tongue:

I'm guessing you're one of these math demi gods who got A*'s in Maths and FM and are going to warwick/cambridge to study maths lol
Yep FMSP. They also do regular OCR as well as MEI according to their website.
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/fmmature

OK - the schools I know that have used it have done MEI - obviously they have expanded the syllabuses they support now.

Did you do OCR A level? That will affect whether you can swap modules.

You won't need a full A level F Maths for a B Eng .... are you thinking aout a year in industry?
Reply 17
I'm guessing you're one of these math demi gods who got A*'s in Maths and FM and are going to warwick/cambridge to study maths lol

Warwick; I am a Cambridge reject. :colonhash: And certainly not a demigod. :redface:
Original post by Muttley79
OK - the schools I know that have used it have done MEI - obviously they have expanded the syllabuses they support now.

Did you do OCR A level? That will affect whether you can swap modules.

You won't need a full A level F Maths for a B Eng .... are you thinking aout a year in industry?

Currently on gap year now and failed to get into the YINI scheme as jobs near me were only for electrical/electronic engineering, and didn't really want to move away from home as am going travelling also in gap year in January/February/April.
Currently have a Job in engineering related field though only 3 days a week and also have another less interesting job, but just doing this to save some money.

I'm applying for BEng as interested in going into finance industry, as applying to UCL with engineering and finance, and Warwick for Engineering with Management, and believe these are target uni for Banks/Accountancy firms. Just thought that if I'm at home might as well do the whole A2 FM as opposed to AS to keep me on my toes in preparation for uni!
Reply 19
I'd really recommend M3 over D2 purely because of the content - it's so much more interesting (although it is a killer!)

Quick Reply

Latest