The Student Room Group

Stressed about future - (Year 12 student)

Im In year 12 and in a selective state school where everyone is pretty much on some A* trajectory.

I've experienced imposter syndrome ever since September because the foundations and the support a lot of the students here have throw me off guard and hinder my own self-efficacy + confidence.

Everyone seems to be competing with eachother to the point where I do not enjoy discussing academics with anyone because I cannot relate or contribute to their problems.

I got 6 nines and 5 eights at GCSE and I'm now taking Physics, Maths and English Lit for a-level (and dropped politics in April).

Taking 4 alevels was so stressful and now that I've dropped one I feel so burnt out and useless that I wasted so much time on a subject I dont feel will benefit me in any way possible.

I do quite well in English, feeling quite stable with A's however I seem to struggle a lot more in Maths and Physics than those in my classes. Many people in my school have taken Further Maths gcse and additional courses to help them, and many take Further Maths A-level, so the grade boundaries are already pretty high. I feel stupid in physics class as people discuss further-maths content whilst I'm struggling with single maths content.

My parents did not even graduate Post-16 equivalent qualifications and are not familiar with the british curriculum and I feel extremely unstable with asking for help, especially since it is the end of year 12 and feel as though I have such a restricted future even though I am so determined on studying physics.

Is it possible for me to study physics at University when I am only doing single maths and have not really studied for my end-of-year exams which im in the middle of right now? I believe I can work hard in the summer and really pull my weight but Im thinking its too late.

I was also thinking of taking a gap year to expand my knowledge on mechanics and maths in order to excel in Physics but I dont know if that will have a worser impact on my future. I also feel anxious towards going to university because I do not want to spend 4 years in a university studying physics with no guarantee of a stable income later on.

I do not even know what job or career I want, I just know I'd like to master physics as a knowledge field.
Reply 1
Hiii
I know exactly how you feel, I am currently studying biology chemistry maths and physics and did an EPQ. At times I felt so overwhelmed and was struggling to keep up with the work load. I have also been struggling in maths and was one of the only girls in my physics class so always felt a bit out of place and never really felt like a knew what was going on. What I learnt in the past few weeks is to just ask for help, I decided my future was more important then what my class thought of me and just asked my teachers questions no matter how stupid they sounded.
I also did maths in my maths classroom a few lunchtimes just so that I could ask my teacher about specific topics I felt I struggled on. If you don't get the grades this year to apply to unis with you can always make sure to work hard for your actual a level results and then apply with those and just take a gap year. I think gap years are really great as it allows you to gain some experience (which unis like) and It allows you to find out mure about yourself and can help you decide what career you really want to do.
I don't know if that helped but I hope you feel better soon
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by -mia-
Hiii
I know exactly how you feel, I am currently studying biology chemistry maths and physics and did an EPQ. At times I felt so overwhelmed and was struggling to keep up with the work load. I have also been struggling in maths and was one of the only girls in my physics class so always felt a bit out of place and never really felt like a knew what was going on. What I learnt in the past few weeks is to just ask for help, I decided my future was more important then what my class thought of me and just asked my teachers questions no matter how stupid they sounded.
I also did maths in my maths classroom a few lunchtimes just so that I could ask my teacher about specific topics I felt I struggled on. If you don't get the grades this year to apply to unis with you can always make sure to work hard for your actual a level results and then apply with those and just take a gap year. I think gap years are really great as it allows you to gain some experience (which unis like) and It allows you to find out mure about yourself and can help you decide what career you really want to do.
I don't know if that helped but I hope you feel better soon

Thank you, im also doing the EPQ and its really difficult, and there have been barely any super curricular opportunities in my school, I genuinely don't think my school takes struggle seriously, they treat as a problem on the students part, when its a holistic thing,

Thank you so much, I think I'll take a gap year for sure

Quick Reply

Latest