The Student Room Group

Further maths in a gap year for chemical engineering

Hi,
I applied this academic year for economics however have realised it was a mistake.
I am taking a gap year and applying for chemical engineering. Predicted grades are A* A* A with the A in chemistry, A*s in maths and economics, however i will likely get 3 A*s.
I would want to be working and then travelling during my gap year however have seen recommendations for taking further math during this year.
My application would include unis such as imperial, ucl, edinburgh, leeds, and maybe manchester

Is taking further maths worth it during my gap year even though the unis do not specifically ask for it ??

Thank you in advance
(edited 1 year ago)
Make sure the course requirements don't require any other A Levels such as Biology first. And yes taking further maths is worth it even if they do not specifically ask for it.
Reply 2
Original post by alanb21
Make sure the course requirements don't require any other A Levels such as Biology first. And yes taking further maths is worth it even if they do not specifically ask for it.

Thank you, they dont require any others just further so i guess im taking that next year then
Original post by mac.752B
Thank you, they dont require any others just further so i guess im taking that next year then

Bicen Maths on youtube is amazing if you need any resources for f maths.
Hi,
I applied this academic year for economics however have realised it was a mistake.
I am taking a gap year and applying for chemical engineering. Predicted grades are A* A* A with the A in chemistry, A*s in maths and economics, however i will likely get 3 A*s.
I would want to be working and then travelling during my gap year however have seen recommendations for taking further math during this year.
My application would include unis such as imperial, ucl, edinburgh, leeds, and maybe manchester

Is taking further maths worth it during my gap year even though the unis do not specifically ask for it ??

Thank you in advance

I'm currently studying Chem Eng in Manchester and I also did Further Maths at college. Whilst it has somewhat helped me cover some weeks of lectures quicker than others, I wouldn't say it's given me any advantage or anything since all the information you're expected to know is covered in lectures.
From an admissions point of view, Again, I doubt it will give you much of an advantage, if any. This is especially because you're set to get all A*s anyways and you'll be applying next year with achieved grades.
That being said, If i was to redo college I would still take FM just because I liked it? Plus I work PT as a tutor so its helped with that. I'm not so sure if I would've done it if i took a gap year, though.
Hi,

Thank you in advance

Hi @mac.752B!

Though I am a Mechanical Engineering student, I have many friends who study Chemical Engineering. Of them: some studied further maths and other didn't. It is very highly unlikely a university requires a Further Maths A-Level, as not all colleges do over it, however they may recommend it. Further Maths would certainly prove beneficial in the first year as you tend to have a core maths module which revisits Further Maths A-Level to get those who haven't done it up to speed. It also means you would have more experience with its content which would help you later down the line. That being said, it would be just as beneficial for you to just learn the content without a grade attached to it (i.e. you learn the content in your own time, without an exam). Once you secure your place at university, everybody is basically the same. Employers won't care about what A-Levels or grades you got for them.

I hope this helps!
- Amaani (FST Ambassador)
Hi,

Thank you in advance

When I was doing Alevels, i dropped some very late and decided to do physics and further maths in what would be equivalent to a gap year. I’m doing chemeng at Imperial rn. Further maths will definitely help you, and even though not necessary, majority of applications include further maths, so it just puts you in a better position. I’d recommend taking it, you’ll be learning the content in it later on anyway so may as well start it now and get somet out of it

Quick Reply

Latest