The Student Room Group

Public sale of fireworks should be banned

I think fireworks should not be sold to the public. They cause so much distress (human and animal, they scare the living daylights out of some elderly people too), injury and damage that they should have been banned in the 1970s when there was a campaign to do so. It's a shame the government bottled it when they had the chance to act. I think all fireworks displays should be professionally organised, whether by local government, commercial organisation or social club, etc. But no more drunk-Dad-lets-the-kids-light-them or being able to buy pyrotechnics in newsagents and supermarkets.

I'd also like to see some time limits - with the exception of a few specific new years events and religious festivals through the year, I don't think fireworks should be permitted after 8 or 9 p.m.

Am I right?
Fireworks are one of the only real means of Natural Selection we have left. I'm all for them.
Chinese lanterns, on the other hand...
I agree it should be organised displays only, and that in the interests of noise, should only be on certain dates (say weekends and November 5th itself).

Ironically there have probably been more injuries than if Robert Catesby, Guy Fawkes and the others had succeeded.
I agree. I also think that letting off fireworks should be restricted to the night of the event only, such as only 5th November, New Years Eve etc, and not be allowed to be let off for days/weeks before and after the actual dates.
Will we get mandatory government provided sparklers?
Raise the age to 25+
Only have them sold in outlets with a license (decent amount of ££££ for a license fee)
Fines for use of fireworks after 10.
Only provide fireworks for garden use only.
Reply 6
Original post by Bill_Gates
Will we get mandatory government provided sparklers?
Yes. During this government they will be blue ones.
Original post by Simes
Yes. During this government they will be blue ones.

They will be provided on the basis of the amount of tax you pay?

The poor will get a few of these?

Quick Reply

Latest