The Student Room Group

New language

I would love to learn a simple foreign language

Scroll to see replies

Go for it, I'd recommend Italian - was the easiest language I've seriously tried learning
Reply 2
Ok. What about German?
Original post by Zoefav
Ok. What about German?

If you like German, go for German. It's a very useful language and I'd recommend it. I should note German is considered to be slightly more difficult (see FSI language difficulty) than Spanish or French or Dutch, for example, but still on the easier end.
I think spanish is the easiest
Original post by Zoefav
I would love to learn a simple foreign language

There are no simple foreign languages. If there were then monolingualism probably wouldn’t exist , would it ?
Languages that are related to English and easy to learn include most Germanic languages (Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, and German) and Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, and Romanian). Apart from this, knowing a language related to the target language can make it easier to learn!
yes I googled that
Original post by NewJobStarter
There are no simple foreign languages. If there were then monolingualism probably wouldn’t exist , would it ?

That’s making the assumption that the only reason why people don’t learn new languages/are monolingual is because of difficulty as opposed to other factors (lack of interest; laziness; already speaks English so they might have the belief that because they already speak the international language, others should just learn English instead or they’ll just use Google Translate, doesn’t have the time; has immigrant parents but their parents didn’t teach them their home language etc).
Original post by Talkative Toad
That’s making the assumption that the only reason why people don’t learn new languages/are monolingual is because of difficulty as opposed to other factors (lack of interest; laziness; already speaks English so they might have the belief that because they already speak the international language, others should just learn English instead or they’ll just use Google Translate, doesn’t have the time; has immigrant parents but their parents didn’t teach them their home language etc).

to be fair, google translate is very helpful...
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
to be fair, google translate is very helpful...

True but not always accurate
True but not always accurate

oh maybe that's why i'm having trouble with spanish class
(edited 2 months ago)
oh maybe that's why i'm having trouble with spanish class

I mostly can’t spot whether translate is accurate or not for Spanish, only French
I mostly can’t spot whether translate is accurate or not for Spanish, only French

oh you know french? nice
ig translation is off sometimes for spanish, mainly because of the different moods/tenses
spanish 2 has been rough
oh you know french? nice
ig translation is off sometimes for spanish, mainly because of the different moods/tenses
spanish 2 has been rough

Can you speak Spanish?
Can you speak Spanish?

slightly. i'm currently taking spanish 2, so i mostly just know vocab, not really much sentence structure
slightly. i'm currently taking spanish 2, so i mostly just know vocab, not really much sentence structure

I don’t know what Spanish 2 is but nice
I don’t know what Spanish 2 is but nice

oh in the u.s. (at least in california) i have to learn spanish in three different parts, three years, year 1 is generally vocab, year 2 is sentence structure, and idk what year 3 will be, but i'm kinda dreading it.
oh in the u.s. (at least in california) i have to learn spanish in three different parts, three years, year 1 is generally vocab, year 2 is sentence structure, and idk what year 3 will be, but i'm kinda dreading it.

I see, is that in secondary school?
I see, is that in secondary school?

high school, yes. i'm on an advanced program, tho, so i'm taking it in 8th grade when usually people take it in like 10th grade
high school, yes. i'm on an advanced program, tho, so i'm taking it in 8th grade when usually people take it in like 10th grade

I see

Quick Reply

Latest