The Student Room Group

Laplace Transforms

Okay so I'm just looking at this and something's not making sense here:

say I have a simple first order ODE and I want to solve this using the laplace method e.g.

dxdt+4x=8\frac {dx}{dt} +4x =8

now we take laplace transforms of each of the terms (which i get and because these are all assumed to be casual functions we can look up some of these in the table)....now the bit I don't understand is how is the laplace transform of dxdt\frac{dx}{dt} is equal to:

x(0)+sX(s) -x(0) + sX(s) ??

i tried to work it out using the original definition of the laplace transform equation but you end up with the exponential to the power t but integrating w.r.t. dx :confused:

Someone explain this to me please :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TeeEm

I need your expertise :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by a10
I need your expertise :biggrin:

apply the laplace transform definition as an integral to F'(t)

integrate by parts and the answer is practically the next line
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
apply the laplace transform definition as an integral to F'(t)

integrate by parts and the answer is practically the next line

Unparseable latex formula:

F'(s)= $$\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-st} . f'(t) dt

u=est,dudt=sestu = e^{-st}, \frac{du}{dt} = -se^{-st}

v=f(t)v= f'(t)

e^{-st} f'(t) + s $$\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-st} . f'(t) dt

is this right so far?
Reply 4
Original post by a10

F'(s)= $$\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-st} . f'(t) dt

u=est,dudt=sestu = e^{-st}, \frac{du}{dt} = -se^{-st}

v=f(t)v= f'(t)

e^{-st} f'(t) + s $$\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-st} . f'(t) dt

is this right so far?

there should be no f dash in the integral and there should be limits in the "integrated bit"
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
there should be no f dash in the integral and there should be limits in the "integrated bit"

I get the second part about the limits but I don't understand the first part?

how does the f dash go away? :colondollar:

Edit: Ahhhhhhh I've spotted my mistake when i chose v it was supposed to be dv
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by a10
I get the second part about the limits but I don't understand the first part?

how does the f dash go away? :colondollar:

you differentiate the e-st
you integrate the derivative with respect to t, so it goes back to f
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
you differentiate the e-st
you integrate the derivative with respect to t, so it goes back to f

Yeah i made the mistake of using v as f'(t) it was supposed to be dv and then integrate to get v. My integration is rusty :lol:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by a10
Yeah i made the mistake of using v as f'(t) it was supposed to be dv and then integrate to get v. My integration is rusty :lol:

Thank you :biggrin:

no worries

I will upload the proof in my Laplace file
Usually my resources tend to be comprehensive, I do not believe I actually did not include this standard proof.
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
no worries

I will upload the proof in my Laplace file
Usually my resources tend to be comprehensive, I do not believe I actually did not include this standard proof.

Do you have any resources on the convolution theorum? I'm only just learning it it seems so long :/
Reply 10
Original post by a10
Do you have any resources on the convolution theorum? I'm only just learning it it seems so long :/

download the latest version of Laplace from my site.

in the various Laplace question section
The proof is there
then there are some very simple inversions using it.

Then there are some applications in solving Standard PDEs in the last section but that might be a bit too advanced if you have just started this
Reply 11
Original post by TeeEm
download the latest version of Laplace from my site.

in the various Laplace question section
The proof is there
then there are some very simple inversions using it.

Then there are some applications in solving Standard PDEs in the last section but that might be a bit too advanced if you have just started this

we have covered the PDE's but im kinda behind trying to catch up quickly :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by a10
we have covered the PDE's but im kinda behind trying to catch up quickly :redface:

what course are you doing?
Reply 13
Original post by TeeEm
what course are you doing?

mechanical engineering
Reply 14
Original post by a10
mechanical engineering

2nd year I take it and what place?
Reply 15
Original post by TeeEm
2nd year I take it and what place?

Yeah, second year advanced engineering maths module :ahee:

University of Sussex.
Reply 16
Original post by a10
Yeah, second year advanced engineering maths module :ahee:

University of Sussex.

all the best
Ah, this brings back some memories a10. Been very quiet lately, bogged down with uni work?
Reply 18
Original post by Smack
Ah, this brings back some memories a10. Been very quiet lately, bogged down with uni work?

Hi Smack, hope life is treating you well? How are you? :smile:

Yeah I've just been really busy; applying for some one year placements, having interviews and what not (which made me get behind on my course a bit so basically playing catch up now lol). Also TSR is getting a bit old, I will only really use it for help on studies or maybe having a look at the careers sections for some info cba answering all these noob/childish questions on the engineering forum :lol:

p.s. Had a look at your workout blog you been slacking I'm catching up to your lifts :wink: :lol:
Original post by a10
Hi Smack, hope life is treating you well? How are you? :smile:

Yeah okay for someone in oil & gas really.

Yeah I've just been really busy; applying for some one year placements, having interviews and what not (which made me get behind on my course a bit so basically playing catch up now lol). Also TSR is getting a bit old, I will only really use it for help on studies or maybe having a look at the careers sections for some info cba answering all these noob/childish questions on the engineering forum :lol:

p.s. Had a look at your workout blog you been slacking I'm catching up to your lifts :wink: :lol:

Yeah definitely make use of the study resources here, there are some really fantastic people willing to help. I kinda wish I made better use of here when I was studying.

I also cba with the same repetitive stuff usually seen in the engineering forum any more. Most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest