The Student Room Group

How does this conjecture be true can you prove this?

Okay, I am doing this maths homework in Core 1 Proofing unit
The question asks me to decide if this conjecture is telling the truth.
IF it's true i have to prove it by suitable method and name the method
IF it isn't true, i have to come up with a counterexample
and the questions are as follows

1.The sum of any three consecutive integers is divisible by 6
2. An easy way to remember 7times 8 is that 56=7*8 and the number 5,6,7 and 8are consecutive. There is exactly one other multification of two single-digit numbers with the same pattern
3. x^2>x => x.1
4. ABCD is a parallelogram. Sides AB and DC are parallel; sides AD and BC are parallel. AC=BD
5. A triangle with sides (x^2+1), (x^2-1), 2x is right angled.
6. The circle with equation x^2+y^2=36 passes through exactly four points for which both the x and y coordinates are integers.
7. The value of (n^2+n+41) is a prime number for all positive integer values of n.
8.A number is divisible by 9 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 9.
9. n is prime, then n^2+n+1 is also a prime

thank you!
Original post by ucjs2

2. An easy way to remember 7times 8 is that 56=7*8 and the number 5,6,7 and 8are consecutive. There is exactly one other multification of two single-digit numbers with the same pattern
3. x^2>x => x.1
4. ABCD is a parallelogram. Sides AB and DC are parallel; sides AD and BC are parallel. AC=BD
6. The circle with equation x^2+y^2=36 passes through exactly four points for which both the x and y coordinates are integers.
7. The value of (n^2+n+41) is a prime number for all positive integer values of n.

thank you!

1) A number is divisible by 6 if it is divisible by 2 and by 3. Think about the divisibility of 3 consecutive numbers by 2 and 3.

2) Write it in a general form. 10n+n+1=(n+2)(n+3) 10n + n+1 = (n+2)(n+3). Solve this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ucjs2

3. x^2>x => x.1

thank you!

3. x2>x    x2x>0    x(x1)>0x>1x^2 > x \iff x^2 - x > 0 \iff x(x-1) > 0 \Leftarrow x>1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ucjs2

6. Notice the radius is an integer, then you can see four integer points generated by x=0x=0 and y=0y=0 - how can you say these are the only four points that are integers?

7. Use a nice large counter-example.
Reply 4
Original post by ucjs2

3. x^2>x => x.1

thank you!

5: (x2+1)2(x21)2=4x2(x^2+1)^2 - (x^2-1)^2 = 4x^2 Find x, if it solves for a real value it is right angled; otherwise it's not.
Reply 5
Original post by Andy98
5: (x2+1)2(x21)2=4x2(x^2+1)^2 - (x^2-1)^2 = 4x^2 Find x, if it solves for a real value it is right angled; otherwise it's not.

You don't really need to find xx do you? You can just look at the discriminant?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
You don't really need to find xx do you? You can just look at the discriminant?

Well you can do, but I just can't find it in me to use an equation but not solve it if it is solvable. :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98
Well you can do, but I just can't find it in me to use an equation but not solve it if it is solvable. :colondollar:

Fair enough. :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Fair enough. :lol:

Yeah, I'm weird like that :teehee:
Original post by Andy98

It's an identity. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
3. x2>x    x2x>0    x(x1)>0    x>1x^2 > x \iff x^2 - x > 0 \iff x(x-1) > 0 \implies x>1

Apropos your questions on another thread, please note that your final implication here is false. (Think about the graph of y=x(x1)y=x(x-1))
Reply 11
Original post by atsruser
Apropos your questions on another thread, please note that your final implication here is false. (Think about the graph of y=x(x1)y=x(x-1))

Yes - I asked that question because I was fairly sure what I said here wasn't correct, I meant to back and change it to x(x1)x>1x(x-1) \Leftarrow x>1, I'll do that now!
Original post by Andy98
This is not a valid answer IMHO.

(It would be a valid answer if the question was "There exists x such that the triangle with sides x^2+1, x^2-1 and 2x is right angled", but as it stands the question wants you to show it for all x).
Reply 13
Original post by DFranklin
This is not a valid answer IMHO.

(It would be a valid answer if the question was "There exists x such that the triangle with sides x^2+1, x^2-1 and 2x is right angled", but as it stands the question wants you to show it for all x).

Off the top of my head, would you use the cosine rule and solve for cosα\cos \alpha and show that α=π2\alpha = \frac{\pi}{2}?
Original post by Zacken
Off the top of my head, would you use the cosine rule and solve for cosα\cos \alpha and show that α=π2\alpha = \frac{\pi}{2}?
Just use Pythagoras. It's a 1-liner.
i) is false... if you add -2, -1, 0 you get -3

:top2:

no thank you
Reply 16
Just use Pythagoras. It's a 1-liner.

Isn't that what Andy did? Or were your remarks directed towards his "find" when he should have said "prove that this identity holds"?
Original post by Zacken
Isn't that what Andy did? Or were your remarks directed towards his "find" when he should have said "prove that this identity holds"?
At the point where he said "if it solves for a real value" (emphasis mine) it was clear he wasn't looking to show it held for general values of x.
Reply 18
At the point where he said "if it solves for a real value" (emphasis mine) it was clear he wasn't looking to show it held for general values of x.

Makes sense. thanks for clearing it up.
Reply 19

Right:s-smilie:

I was just meaning if you can solve it without having to play around with ii

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest