The Student Room Group

Psychology, Physics, or Maths for A-level?

I'm choosing bio and chem for A-levels but I don't know which of the above three (psych, phy or math) I should choose as a 3rd subject. Context; my goal is to do medicine, and I get all A*s in my subjects except for those three which always fluctuates between A and B. I don't mind choosing any between those 3 subjects, but I wanted to know how hard it gets from the transitions of Yr11 to Yr12 and then Yr12 to Yr13 (i.e does it get harder from the beginning of Yr12 or does it have a step up at Yr13 onwards?) To anyone doing any of the three (or even all three), how are you finding the subjects, what areas of it are the hardest and what is your advice for someone like me? And honestly what do y'all think would help me in the long run? Because surely one of those three subjects would be an advantage when I'm actually doing a Medicine Degree right? (i.e there may or may not be heavily essay based stuff in which psych would be good, or if it's more problem solving then maths or phy would be helpful, you get what I mean?) Before anyone says, "Choose something you enjoy, your 3rd subject doesn't matter unless you're going for Cambridge" 1. I don't have ANY subject that I enjoy, so might as well choose something that would be helpful 2. I'm not planning on going to Cambridge but I still want something that will prove extremely useful for me once I start studying medicine
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
If psych, physics and maths are your weaker subjects and you aspire to medicine do you not think they might be unwise choices?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
If psych, physics and maths are your weaker subjects and you aspire to medicine do you not think they might be unwise choices?

True, but I don't know what else I could choose. My sixth form option blocks came out and those are the only sensible (?) subjects I can choose as a 3rd subject. I want my 3rd subject to be useful for me in the long-run (I understand that any and every subject will provide some sort of usefulness in one way or another but I'm referring to it being useful for me when studying medicine if that makes sense)
Reply 3
Original post by miniverse
True, but I don't know what else I could choose. My sixth form option blocks came out and those are the only sensible (?) subjects I can choose as a 3rd subject. I want my 3rd subject to be useful for me in the long-run (I understand that any and every subject will provide some sort of usefulness in one way or another but I'm referring to it being useful for me when studying medicine if that makes sense)

Ah, understand. Hopefully someone with experience in medical education can advise.

My understanding is that the third a level subject isn’t important but that getting a high grade is. The usual advice is to take something you can score well in - history? Geography? Sociology?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, understand. Hopefully someone with experience in medical education can advise.

My understanding is that the third a level subject isn’t important but that getting a high grade is. The usual advice is to take something you can score well in - history? Geography? Sociology?

I've never taken the subjects you've mentioned but thank you for the advice anyway, appreciate it lots

Quick Reply

Latest