The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Congrats to Peyton going out on a high but that was a proper defensive win. Defence wins Championships and Carolina's was just no where near as effective as Denver's. When you add that to the fact that the receivers and O-Line were dreadful then you can't expect to win.
Peyton Manning makes 13 completed passes, No touchdowns, 1 Interception, 56.6 passer rating but thanks to a savage beast defence gets to ride off into the sunset with another Super Bowl ring and people will use this win as 'evidence' to claim he's the GOAT.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Peyton Manning makes 13 completed passes, No touchdowns, 1 Interception, 56.6 passer rating but thanks to a savage beast defence gets to ride off into the sunset with another Super Bowl ring and people will use this win as 'evidence' to claim he's the GOAT.

Honestly who cares? Peyton's had a 19 year career to make his claim as the GOAT. One game doesn't suddenly change people's perception of him. There's plenty of evidence already. Whether you think he's the GOAT or not, he's in that conversation. (Peyton would himself say that Dan Marino is the GOAT)

After so many years of putting below-average teams into the playoffs where they had no right to be, (like John Elway) it's truly awesome to see 46 guys rally around for each-other. Not just for Peyton, but for D-Ware, John Elway, the coaching staff, and the best owner in pro-sports in Pat Bowlen. It was a great team victory.

The offense struggled like it has all season, but the Panthers evidently struggled more. Like it or not, Peyton's case as one of the GOATs was there anyway. Most wins including regular and post season, in addition to every QB statistic worth a damn? yeah. Obviously, Pats fans will further Tom Brady as the GOAT, and they are justifiably entitled to that. Brady has the hardware and the stats. But, you know, Peyton's 3-1 in the AFC championship against Brady's team. Been to four superbowls, with four different coaches, and won two with two different teams.

Peyton's very much part of this Broncos team, and his conduct, experience and knowledge helped put them over the top. The defense especially rallied behind him. And you know, for all the rubbish thrown his way, he made some timely big plays, against a top ranked defense. No surprise they were to Sanders. He came in clutch.

Also, Cam Newton's stats on the day? 18 of 41 (43.9%), 265 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 2 lost fumbles and a 55.4 passer rating. 6 rush attempts for a further 45 yards, 0TDs and a long of 14. That's three of his team's four turnovers. Carolina's defense was ferocious too.
Original post by Wattsy
Congrats to Peyton going out on a high but that was a proper defensive win. Defence wins Championships and Carolina's was just no where near as effective as Denver's. When you add that to the fact that the receivers and O-Line were dreadful then you can't expect to win.

Carolina played excellent defense that game. As a unit they gave up 18 points, but the bigger story was in third down conversion for the Broncos. 1/14 tells its own story. Two takeaways, including one right after a Broncos takeaway. Five sacks, although not for too much yardage considering. Rush defense was generally okay, and Norman shut down DT with ease.

That said, I really hope Elway finds a way to keep Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan and Von Miller together in Denver. I'd also love to see Demarcus Ware back, because his leadership is excellent, and he's still been pretty effective, even on a restructure, but it'll be interesting to see.
Original post by jammy4041
Honestly who cares? Peyton's had a 19 year career to make his claim as the GOAT. One game doesn't suddenly change people's perception of him. There's plenty of evidence already. Whether you think he's the GOAT or not, he's in that conversation. (Peyton would himself say that Dan Marino is the GOAT)

After so many years of putting below-average teams into the playoffs where they had no right to be, (like John Elway) it's truly awesome to see 46 guys rally around for each-other. Not just for Peyton, but for D-Ware, John Elway, the coaching staff, and the best owner in pro-sports in Pat Bowlen. It was a great team victory.

The offense struggled like it has all season, but the Panthers evidently struggled more. Like it or not, Peyton's case as one of the GOATs was there anyway. Most wins including regular and post season, in addition to every QB statistic worth a damn? yeah. Obviously, Pats fans will further Tom Brady as the GOAT, and they are justifiably entitled to that. Brady has the hardware and the stats. But, you know, Peyton's 3-1 in the AFC championship against Brady's team. Been to four superbowls, with four different coaches, and won two with two different teams.

Peyton's very much part of this Broncos team, and his conduct, experience and knowledge helped put them over the top. The defense especially rallied behind him. And you know, for all the rubbish thrown his way, he made some timely big plays, against a top ranked defense. No surprise they were to Sanders. He came in clutch.

Also, Cam Newton's stats on the day? 18 of 41 (43.9%), 265 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 2 lost fumbles and a 55.4 passer rating. 6 rush attempts for a further 45 yards, 0TDs and a long of 14. That's three of his team's four turnovers. Carolina's defense was ferocious too.

Don't mind me, I'm just a salty bitter Pats fan.
That said and speaking of regular season, Manning had 59.8% pass accuracy, 17 interceptions on 9 touchdowns and a 67.9 passer rating, including one game of a 0 rating. Brady has scored more touchdowns at Mile High than Manning this season! Definitely the worst QB season to result in a SB ring in a long time. But then I suppose he did have one of greatest seasons by a QB two years ago and got completely blown out by Seattle in the Super Bowl so swings and roundabouts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2045
Original post by jammy4041
Carolina played excellent defense that game. As a unit they gave up 18 points, but the bigger story was in third down conversion for the Broncos. 1/14 tells its own story. Two takeaways, including one right after a Broncos takeaway. Five sacks, although not for too much yardage considering. Rush defense was generally okay, and Norman shut down DT with ease.

That said, I really hope Elway finds a way to keep Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan and Von Miller together in Denver. I'd also love to see Demarcus Ware back, because his leadership is excellent, and he's still been pretty effective, even on a restructure, but it'll be interesting to see.

Okay, I just felt like the D missed easy tackles and gave up too many momentum swinging plays. That won't really show on the stat sheet. If I'm Carolina I'm also asking questions about what my OC was doing making 0 HT adjustments. They lost on nearly every single first down through the entire game.
Nice to see Peyton get another ring. Elis face was pretty funny when they showed it :lol:

Anyone though who thinks because of this Manning is on the same level as Brady or Montana though is just smh
If ever there was a defensive win, that was it. Definition of being carried by his team (Which given Manning's career, it's nice to see actually as it's often been vice versa).

Broncos D was on point.
Original post by ..DT..
How was that not overturned? Bizarre officiating.

Original post by Malevolent
Let's get uncle Peyton that ring. What a garbage call by those refs :lol:

Original post by ..DT..
Just balanced it a little with that taunt call

Talking about the incomplete pass that Rivera challenged? I thought that was a very clear case of the ruling on the field stands. The ball almost certainly hit the ground, and there wasn't conclusive proof that the receiver retained full control throughout the rest of the process of the catch. That was my opinion when I first saw the replay, and obviously it differed with the commentator's. Weird that they didn't have a rules expert on the NFLN broadcast since that is such a popular thing now with CBS and Fox.

Cam didn't play very well. For someone so aware of when cameras are on him, he wasn't making any effort to hide whatever pain he was in from the first quarter. Still pretty shocking to pull away from a loose ball like that with the game on the line. I did see a segment on NFL.com about how the press conference shows he still struggles to deal with losses. I don't watch pressers but that sounds like such a load of (probably racist) ****. He dealt with all his previous losses by becoming the best quarterback in the league over 18 games, but **** him for being grumpy in a press conference right?
Cam Newton should be ashamed with that one play where he completely just gave up.

And that whole narrative about Peyton finally being carried is rubbish. The previous Superbowl he won he was carried by his defense too.

In my eyes its Montana. Then Brady.

Then you have the tier below like Manning, Unitas and Favre.
I think the refs were okay only calls that they messed up were the first challenge and that holding on Norman which was pretty weak.
Nice to see Peyton get another ring. Elis face was pretty funny when they showed it :lol:

Anyone though who thinks because of this Manning is on the same level as Brady or Montana though is just smh

He had a serious sulk on. Looked like a petulant child who hadn't got the Christmas presents he asked for Haha
Original post by ..DT..
He had a serious sulk on. Looked like a petulant child who hadn't got the Christmas presents he asked for Haha

I also found that rather weird that Eli looked so miffed.
Best part of the SB was Eli.
Original post by SmashConcept
Talking about the incomplete pass that Rivera challenged? I thought that was a very clear case of the ruling on the field stands. The ball almost certainly hit the ground, and there wasn't conclusive proof that the receiver retained full control throughout the rest of the process of the catch. That was my opinion when I first saw the replay, and obviously it differed with the commentator's. Weird that they didn't have a rules expert on the NFLN broadcast since that is such a popular thing now with CBS and Fox.

I'm completely with you on this one. When I first saw it I thought the ball hit the ground when he first went to ground. The more I saw it I wasn't sure, so it had to go with the on field call.
Per the NFL rules.

'If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided that the player continues to maintain control.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.'

That to me looked like he had control of it the whole time.

Was a huge moment in the game.

NFL better figure out what constitutes a catch this off season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Watched a full NFL game for the first time yesterday night. Definitely something I could get into.
Kinda learned the rules and how its played throughout the game though lmao.

If I was living in America, this would definitely be my favourite sport to play and watch. Though as a Brit, keeping up with games could be very awkward due to the time-zone difference.

Whilst close according to the folks here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/44r00k/super_bowl_50_reminds_us_nobody_knows_what_a/

And from watching the replay it did seem like the front end hit the ground so thus it was a correct call. Albeit it an extremely tight one.
Per the NFL rules.

'If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided that the player continues to maintain control.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.'

That to me looked like he had control of it the whole time.

Was a huge moment in the game.

I see your point. What control he has mostly comes from his right elbow, so I definitely err on the side of thinking that he may not have complete control throughout the entire process of the catch. If it had been ruled complete I'm not sure you can prove it's a drop, but I think "stands" is the only thing they can really say there. I feel less strongly about this than I do the Dez Bryant thing, for example.

Original post by edothero
Watched a full NFL game for the first time yesterday night. Definitely something I could get into.
Kinda learned the rules and how its played throughout the game though lmao.

If I was living in America, this would definitely be my favourite sport to play and watch. Though as a Brit, keeping up with games could be very awkward due to the time-zone difference.

It's not too bad. The season is only just over 4 months and mostly happens on Sundays. If you pick a team to follow, you can get a pretty cheap version of Gamepass and you basically get 16 games plus playoffs to enjoy. I'd like to follow NHL hockey, but 82 games per team and then playoffs in whacky time zones between October and June/July is just not going to happen
Original post by SmashConcept
I'd like to follow NHL hockey, but 82 games per team and then playoffs in whacky time zones between October and June/July is just not going to happen

Agreed. Of the 4 major sports the NFL is certainly the most easy to follow in regards to team scheduling. Given I support the Bay Area teams (49ers, Warriors, Giants and Sharks for NHL/NBA/MLB/NHL respectively) the timezone difference is the most drastic. That said, with the NFL I can usually catch every game for the 49ers, whereas the other 3 leagues I definitely have to pick and choose which I can watch to fit round day to day life.

Quick Reply

Latest