The Student Room Group

Pakistani women won the OSCAR AGAIN!!!

i don't know if anyone heard of "Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy" She is a legend to all of the women in the world and especially in Pakistan where women treated poorly (not all the women but some do) their husband splash acid on their faces or their parents don't allow their daughter to marry the guy she is interested in and that even makes me sad :frown:
But a Women like Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy made documentaries of real life stories and changed their lives... She is the first Pakistani who won two Oscars in a row (i think), first documentary she made was "Saving Face" (2012) and she won an Oscar award for that film and the other one she won an Oscar award for "A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness" 2015, just because of that documentary, Pakistan parliament decided to change the legislation :u:
this is the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35690403
Oscar 2012:
[video="youtube;2GDxSAHUOBQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GDxSAHUOBQ[/video]
:love::love::love:I love her!!! she's just amazing:love::love::love:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oscar 2016:
[video="youtube;Bq1gDBeKAFE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq1gDBeKAFE[/video]
This is inspirational for not just Pakistani women, but women of all cultures around the world :congrats:
Reply 3
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
This is inspirational for not just Pakistani women, but women of all cultures around the world :congrats:

Definitely!!! :h:
she is a gem
I thought the Oscars were a white only event this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was for the FOUR ACTING CATEGORIES.

:colonhash: No one cares about the Documentary section apparently :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

a bit discrimination there but lol nooo... its for everyone :h:
Reply 7
Original post by EphemeralLove
That was for the FOUR ACTING CATEGORIES.

:colonhash: No one cares about the Documentary section apparently :lol:

why no one cares about the documentary section? they changed people's lives though...
or you meant that noone cares about their ethnicity in the documentary section
Original post by fatima1998
why no one cares about the documentary section? they changed people's lives though...
or you meant that noone cares about their ethnicity in the documentary section

Everyone only cares about the Acting categories, based on peoples' complaints about there not being diversity in the film industry (there isn't, but there will always be that one exception every couple years :colonhash:).
Reply 9
Everyone only cares about the Acting categories, based on peoples' complaints about there not being diversity in the film industry (there isn't, but there will always be that one exception every couple years :colonhash:).

i don't care about acting!!! they aren't changing poor women lives though... acting isn't changing legislations
i don't care about acting!!! they aren't changing poor women lives though... acting isn't changing legislations

O...kay?
I'm explaining why no one cares about the Documentary section.
:colonhash:

In response to DiddyDec sarcastically referencing the #OscarsSoWhite controversy?
It was about some black actors/entertainers
pointing out no diversity in the Acting nominees.

And yes actors can change people's lives. Many donate millions to honorable charities and even sponsor politicians. :h:

I can't tell you the number of celebrities who openly endorsed Obama! :dance:
And who go to natural disaster-stricken places, etc.
Some are ok as people.
Anyway I've heard of this woman, there was a previous documentary about acid attacks, supposedly by her husband for talking back or something, it's been a while. Also some girl got her nose chopped off :eek:
Reply 12
Who cares about the Oscars it is fake and meaningless
O...kay?
I'm explaining why no one cares about the Documentary section.

In response to DiddyDec sarcastically referencing the #OscarsSoWhite controversy?
It was about some black actors/entertainers
pointing out no diversity in the Acting nominees.

And yes actors can change people's lives. Many donate millions to honorable charities and even sponsor politicians. :h:

I can't tell you the number of celebrities who openly endorsed Obama! :dance:
And who go to natural disaster-stricken places, etc.
Some are ok as people.

u sounds like you are against her...
but the documentaries based on real life scenarios and that happens alot in asia
Original post by al_94
Who cares about the Oscars it is fake and meaningless

for you maybe its meaningless but for others it means something
but the documentaries based on real life scenarios and that happens alot in asia

I'm not against her?! :rolleyes:
I'm just explaining the answer to the question you asked me about why no one cares about documentaries :colonhash::colonhash:

Everyone tunes into watch the actors. If you noticed I'm not actually pleased that people do that :colonhash:
I'm not against her?! :rolleyes:
I'm just explaining the answer to the question you asked me about why no one cares about documentaries :colonhash::colonhash:

Everyone tunes into watch the actors. If you noticed I'm not actually pleased that people do that :colonhash:

i didn't say that no one cares about the documentaries; you said that :u:
but i prefer watching something that reflects real life situations
Reply 17
for you maybe its meaningless but for others it means something

What meaning does it have to you?
Original post by al_94
What meaning does it have to you?

i never won one so don't ask me lol
ask those who won an award

I doubt that's what she meant. I for one love documentaries and greatly admire this woman but it's true that the majority of people (at least in the West) are absorbed with the celebrity culture and movies and care less about documentaries, unfortunately. But in the area where most of the public is focused, the majority of ethnic minorities in Hollywood cannot hope to have a real career. They are much less likely to be offered respected movie roles that White actors and actresses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending