The Student Room Group

Brit awards to be less white next year, pledges chairman

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Someone can't even stand up for healthy progressive non-fascist values without being called a troll nowadays..what an oppressive society

This is why we need feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Observatory
What's particularly noticeable in the UK is that non-white ethnicities are disproportionately represented among one another. The subtext here is that more blacks should win Brit awards, but blacks are only 3% of the population and there is already a prestigious music award that is almost exclusively black; the 7% of the population that is Asian on the other hand doesn't seem to produce music with much presence. The Chinese population is about 25% the size of the black population - can you name a single British Chinese band or artist?

:hmmmm2:
Original post by Roofas
These deluded freaks need to realise that the whole of BRITain isn't London which is approaching 50/50 white and 'ethnic minority'.

Should we introduce a White quota for the MOBO awards? (which are frankly a joke, 'Music of Black origin' wouldn't be anything more than drumming and stamping your feet while chanting if it wasn't for the White origin of practically every musical instrument and invention of every form of technology required to produce modern music.)

And without that 'drumming and feet stamping' the music we see on the BRITs would not exist.
Original post by Truths
:hmmmm2:

Based on 2011 census he's about right, 3.5%, probably 4% now.
Reply 25

Woah all those numbers are really small. A lot of these UKIP kids had me thinking POC are taking over :lol:
Original post by Truths
Woah all those numbers are really small. A lot of these UKIP kids had me thinking POC are taking over :lol:

The main non-white population in the UK is South Asian. The excessive focus on blacks is a cultural import from the US.
Original post by Truths

Did you not seek the "truths" rather than their propaganda?
I think it makes sense, most teenagers listen to music with minority singers, in my town it's mainly white girls who are the first to put on Stormzy and Lady Leshurr, it's just nobody buys it and instead just downloads it illegally or streams it. That's why most chart music is by artists who have fanclubs like One Direction cause they're the type to go mad for it and buy 10 copies each.
What's particularly noticeable in the UK is that non-white ethnicities are disproportionately represented among one another. The subtext here is that more blacks should win Brit awards, but blacks are only 3% of the population and there is already a prestigious music award that is almost exclusively black; the 7% of the population that is Asian on the other hand doesn't seem to produce music with much presence. The Chinese population is about 25% the size of the black population - can you name a single British Chinese band or artist?

You seem informed, do you know where I can get the full census? Is it possible to get a copy of that? Like a list of birth countries for all countries not just the top 10?
Original post by Dinasaurus
You seem informed, do you know where I can get the full census? Is it possible to get a copy of that? Like a list of birth countries for all countries not just the top 10?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011census/2011censusdata

There is all the aggregate data that has been published. Raw data (e.g. individuals' forms with their names, etc.) is typically confidential for 100 years.
Original post by Truths

POC?

Is that the latest euphemism? You learn something every day.

Sounds like a mark you get on your face after you get the plague. Something tells me this one won't last very long! :biggrin:
Original post by generallee
POC?

Is that the latest euphemism? You learn something every day.

Sounds like a mark you get on your face after you get the plague. Something tells me this one won't last very long! :biggrin:

It has been around for a while now although I always get it confused with the other POC.

the 7% of the population that is Asian on the other hand doesn't seem to produce music with much presence. The Chinese population is about 25% the size of the black population - can you name a single British Chinese band or artist?

Chinese people are too busy with maths and playing violins, while the other type of Asians are too busy kissing the floor.
Original post by MildredMalone
Chinese people are too busy with maths and playing violins, while the other type of Asians are too busy kissing the floor.

As an Indian, I'm offended. I'll go pray now.
Original post by Aceadria
As an Indian, I'm offended. I'll go pray now.

Say hi to Ganesha :biggrin:

KT Tunstall, her mother was from Hong Kong and has won a BRIT award.

Matt Tong, drummer in Bloc Party.
Original post by MildredMalone
Say hi to Ganesha :biggrin:

I prefer Vishnu. There's something about blue skin (daba dee daba die).
Original post by DiddyDec
KT Tunstall, her mother was from Hong Kong and has won a BRIT award.

Matt Tong, drummer in Bloc Party.

Tunstall is 1/4 Chinese, and most likely ticked either white or mixed.

Tong I give you. So, it's Tong vs the entire MOBOs. If only four guys turned up to the MOBOs, I would understand better that there's a problem with blacks.

I would guess blacks are far overrepresented in British music, and acting, relative to their share of the population.
Tunstall is 1/4 Chinese, and most likely ticked either white or mixed.

Tong I give you. So, it's Tong vs the entire MOBOs. If only four guys turned up to the MOBOs, I would understand better that there's a problem with blacks.

I would guess blacks are far overrepresented in British music, and acting, relative to their share of the population.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending