The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Failed exams

Hi,
I am a second year student at King’s College London. I thinks I am going to fail one of my resit exams, meaning I cannot progress to year 3. I am afraid my parents will be really disappointed since I am international student. So do I have any option to continue my education. For example, skip the next year and just take the exam again during it so that I can progress to year 3 or I will be permanently terminated?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I am a second year student at King’s College London. I thinks I am going to fail one of my resit exams, meaning I cannot progress to year 3. I am afraid my parents will be really disappointed since I am international student. So do I have any option to continue my education. For example, skip the next year and just take the exam again during it so that I can progress to year 3 or I will be permanently terminated?

Is the module you might fail a core module? How many credits is it worth?

If it's a non-core module, worth 30 credits or less, than their Academic Regulations (here) allow it to condoned:

"5.10. For non-core modules at level 5 and 6, condonement will normally be granted after the first attempt, where students have achieved a mark in the range of 1-39 inclusive."

"5.12. For three-year programmes and four-year programmes that include a year abroad/year in industry, the maximum credit allowed for modules with marks in the condonable range across levels 5 and above will not exceed 30."

If that isn't an option (because it's a core module, for example), then there are other ways to proceed. For example your progression status might be "Progresses (AL)" which means;

"You have progressed to the next year of study. However, you have taken less than the required amount of credit for the year and you have reassessments that you must take in the next assessment period. You will also need to take additional credit before the end date of your overall programme in order to graduate and receive your degree award."

You should speak to staff in your faculty or department to understand the specific rules and your options. Contact details for each faculty and department are here. Additionally, you may like to contact KCLSU Advice for confidential and impartial academic advice.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by DataVenia
Is the module you might fail a core module? How many credits is it worth?

If it's a non-core module, worth 30 credits or less, than their Academic Regulations (here) allow it to condoned:

"5.10. For non-core modules at level 5 and 6, condonement will normally be granted after the first attempt, where students have achieved a mark in the range of 1-39 inclusive."

"5.12. For three-year programmes and four-year programmes that include a year abroad/year in industry, the maximum credit allowed for modules with marks in the condonable range across levels 5 and above will not exceed 30."

If that isn't an option (because it's a core module, for example), then there are other ways to proceed. For example your progression status might be "Progresses (AL)" which means;

"You have progressed to the next year of study. However, you have taken less than the required amount of credit for the year and you have reassessments that you must take in the next assessment period. You will also need to take additional credit before the end date of your overall programme in order to graduate and receive your degree award."

You should speak to staff in your faculty or department to understand the specific rules and your options. Contact details for each faculty and department are here. Additionally, you may like to contact KCLSU Advice for confidential and impartial academic advice.

hi there, where did you find the information for progressess AL? thanks
Original post by marimari1111
hi there, where did you find the information for progressess AL? thanks

https://self-service.kcl.ac.uk/article/KA-02013/en-us
Reply 4
I wish you the best of luck 😉 speak to staff and hopefully they can find a solution for you.
(edited 8 months ago)
(Original post by Anonymous)Hi,

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Hi there, are you able to defer the exam to next year, so you can take it into third year? How many credits have you accumulated so far. I was in the same position last week, and submit an MCF for the exam i thought i failed. I had 210 credits altogether which was enough, so now i am able to retake the exam in 3rd year. if u have any questions lmk :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest