The Student Room Group

Making friends as a transfer student

Hi guys. My name is Linh. I'm from Vietnam and I had 2.5 years studied in America. I just transfered to Leeds Beckett last year to 2nd year class.

My question is: How could I can make friends and socialize with White British friends? In my course, I had a group of few friends but most of them is all internationals. There are lots of white friends in my course but seriously, I find it hard to make friends with them since they had a clique already. I also tried to join societies but because I have work and stuff, I couldn't go. Plus, I live 20 minutes away by train from Leeds so it's even harder. Can you help me with this? Cuz my studying abroad intention is studying and make friends with British people.
Original post by Linh2001
Hi guys. My name is Linh. I'm from Vietnam and I had 2.5 years studied in America. I just transfered to Leeds Beckett last year to 2nd year class.

My question is: How could I can make friends and socialize with White British friends? In my course, I had a group of few friends but most of them is all internationals. There are lots of white friends in my course but seriously, I find it hard to make friends with them since they had a clique already. I also tried to join societies but because I have work and stuff, I couldn't go. Plus, I live 20 minutes away by train from Leeds so it's even harder. Can you help me with this? Cuz my studying abroad intention is studying and make friends with British people.

Hi @Linh2001,

I hope you are settling in well. White and British are two different things. White is a race and being British is a nationality, therefore British people may come from different races.

With regards to your goal, I understand that university has many international students and I would not let your goal deter you from making friends with people from other places but if you wanted to meet people who live in England/have for a while I would recommend joining Facebook groups with people who commute. You may find someone who commutes who lives closer to you. With cliques and people already being in groups it can be hard to approach them, if you see people sitting by themselves you might be comfortable introducing yourself to them.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi there,

I hope you're finding the move okay and settling in well. In terms of making friends it's good that you have some people there already to talk to and relate to as internationals.

In terms of making friends with white/british, may I ask why you feel you would like to make these friends specifically? Is it just that the majority of people are British and you would like more friends or you feel you would like to fit in more at the university? If you generally just want to make friends then my suggestion is to introduce yourself wherever you can - I know this can be scary when people have already formed groups but in my experience people at university are always willing to expand their circles and will be happy to talk to you. Try talking to smaller groups or perhaps people when they're alone to make it easier. I know you mentioned societies were hard to attend but anytime you can I strongly recommend trying it - it's such a good way to talk to people even if you are not completely dedicated to the club.

I wouldn't be so focused on the type of person to make friends with. People tend to gravitate towards those they can relate to whether that's because of background, experiences, interests/hobbies etc. Personally most of my friends are also internationals - not for any particular reason but we just clicked the best and now are good friends. It's good to let friendships come naturally.

Good luck with everything!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hi @Linh2001,

I hope you're settling in well and enjoying your time at Leeds Beckett.

As a current student on a year abroad in America, I understand the want to meet people from the country you're in, as well as have international friends. However, I wouldn't put too much pressure on finding and making British friends, as making friends in general may be a difficult task, so don't be picky! It's already great that you have a small group of international friends, as you all have something in common and it's good to have a support system with like-minded people.

There are a few things you can do to make friends, such as introducing yourself and making small talk in lectures (maybe find someone sitting alone or in a small group) or joining a sport or society (maybe you can find something that works around your schedule). It may also be useful for you to talk to your university support and well-being team, as they might have advice and information about ways you can meet other people, such as mixers.

Making friends takes time, but as long as you put the time and effort in to get to know other people, you'll be fine!

Best of luck,
Isabella

@Linh2001

Sometimes people like to have friends from different backgrounds and other times some people prefer to stick with people from a similar background. Brits can be reserved. This can be tough as an international student if you are looking to understand British culture and want to make friends with British people. Sometimes universities or local churches run something called a Globe Cafe, where international students can meet British people and learn more about British culture, have some food and make friends. It might be an idea to find out if there is something like this run at your university by contacting the International Office or Christian Union.

Sporting events are a great way to meet British people. The Brits tend be passionate about their sport and at the moment there are two World Cups on! England are playing South Africa in the cricket this Saturday (09:30am) and England are also playing South Africa in the rugby this Saturday (8pm). Depending on your sporting interest, going to a venue where they are showing one of those games might be one way to meet more British people.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending