The Student Room Group

Uni grade 69.67

I have finally got my dissertation grade back from uni (I study at Teesside), and overall I'm achieving 69.67% for my final grade, oh so close to that daunting 70!

Does anyone have any knowledge of universities rounding up? Information seems few and far between.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by liamalaing
I have finally got my dissertation grade back from uni (I study at Teesside), and overall I'm achieving 69.67% for my final grade, oh so close to that daunting 70!

Does anyone have any knowledge of universities rounding up? Information seems few and far between.

How have you calculated that 69.67% figure? I ask to ensure you've followed the precise rules laid down in Teeside's Assessment Regulations - Undergraduate Degree Awards. The relevant section is below:

"7.2 Classification of Honours Degrees

The Honours Degree classification is calculated on the basis of the most favourable outcome to the student using the following methods:

a) The Assessment Board will determine the Honours classification using the weighted mean average, calculated on a pro rata basis, of the marks for the best 100 credits obtained at Level 5 and the marks for the best 100 credits obtained at Level 6. The mean average of these is obtained and then weighted so that the Level 5 marks are worth 30% and the Level 6 marks are worth 70%. A final mean average is obtained on the basis of this weighting and this determines the base degree classification in accordance with the boundaries defined in 7.2.1.

b) Where a student would receive a higher classification based on Level 6 marks only and has gained 120 Level 6 module credits, then the Level 6 average will be treated as the base classification average and will be the basis on which the class of award is determined.

c) Where students have been given entry to Level 6 of a degree course with advanced standing, or otherwise have undertaken a course consisting only of Level 6 credits (Top-up award), the Honours classification will be calculated on using the following method:

i. The weighted mean average of all Level 6 modules studied."

If you have, then you appear to be out-of-luck as 7.2.1 Classification Boundaries make no provision for rounding:

"7.2.1 Classification Boundaries
Mean Average | Degree Classification
70% - 100% | First-Class
60% - less than 70% | Second Class (upper division)
50% - less than 60% | Second Class (lower division)
40% - less than 50% | Third Class"

(The above is actually in a table, but I couldn't be bothered trying to reproduce it here.)

Note that other approaches might apply, depending on whether yours is a Sandwich course, a Non-Honours degree, etc. - the above is for a standard 3-year Honours Degree.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
How have you calculated that 69.67% figure? I ask to ensure you've followed the precise rules laid down in Teeside's Assessment Regulations - Undergraduate Degree Awards. The relevant section is below:

"7.2 Classification of Honours Degrees

The Honours Degree classification is calculated on the basis of the most favourable outcome to the student using the following methods:

a) The Assessment Board will determine the Honours classification using the weighted mean average, calculated on a pro rata basis, of the marks for the best 100 credits obtained at Level 5 and the marks for the best 100 credits obtained at Level 6. The mean average of these is obtained and then weighted so that the Level 5 marks are worth 30% and the Level 6 marks are worth 70%. A final mean average is obtained on the basis of this weighting and this determines the base degree classification in accordance with the boundaries defined in 7.2.1.

b) Where a student would receive a higher classification based on Level 6 marks only and has gained 120 Level 6 module credits, then the Level 6 average will be treated as the base classification average and will be the basis on which the class of award is determined.

c) Where students have been given entry to Level 6 of a degree course with advanced standing, or otherwise have undertaken a course consisting only of Level 6 credits (Top-up award), the Honours classification will be calculated on using the following method:

i. The weighted mean average of all Level 6 modules studied."

If you have, then you appear to be out-of-luck as 7.2.1 Classification Boundaries make no provision for rounding:

"7.2.1 Classification Boundaries
Mean Average | Degree Classification
70% - 100% | First-Class
60% - less than 70% | Second Class (upper division)
50% - less than 60% | Second Class (lower division)
40% - less than 50% | Third Class"

(The above is actually in a table, but I couldn't be bothered trying to reproduce it here.)

Note that other approaches might apply, depending on whether yours is a Sandwich course, a Non-Honours degree, etc. - the above is for a standard 3-year Honours Degree.

Hi,

thank you for the information. Fortunately, I found the information I needed that same day - the degree award classifications permit a round up if the final grade is within 0.5% of the next classification.
Hi,

thank you for the information. Fortunately, I found the information I needed that same day - the degree award classifications permit a round up if the final grade is within 0.5% of the next classification.

That's great news. Congratulations on your first!

Where did you find that information? Do you have a link?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
That's great news. Congratulations on your first!

Where did you find that information? Do you have a link?

Sorry for the delay! The information can be found here:

Page: 38 (located at the bottom of the page in smaller text)

https://connect.tees.ac.uk/docs/publicdocumentslibraries/default-document-library/legal-and-governance-services/Assessment-Regulations-for-Undergraduate-Degree-Awards.pdf
Sorry for the delay! The information can be found here:

Page: 38 (located at the bottom of the page in smaller text)

https://connect.tees.ac.uk/docs/publicdocumentslibraries/default-document-library/legal-and-governance-services/Assessment-Regulations-for-Undergraduate-Degree-Awards.pdf

Good spot! Buried in a footnote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending