The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

do you have a good chance of getting into investment banking if you go to bath ?
Original post by sazzledazzle
do you have a good chance of getting into investment banking if you go to bath ?

Yes. Obviously, supplemented by extracurriculars, volunteering, sports etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sazzledazzle

Be careful with this. You need to really determine which area of Investment Banking you want to go into.

One of the main advantages of going to Bath is the placement year, HOWEVER for some areas of Investment Banking, there are very few opportunities provided by the placement year.

For example if you're looking to gain experience in M&A, then I would advise choosing the summer internship route rather than the placement year. Between August and now, only 4/5 M&A Industrial Placement roles have come out, and the only major ones have been at Strategy& (which is not Investment Banking) and the only IB which has offered one is UBS. You also have roles at smaller firms such as Grant Thornton, Catalyst Corporate Finance and RSM, but thats really it. And none of those are Investment Banks either. Lazard used to run one, which may resurface next year, however hasn't featured.

If its Investment Management/Asset Management that you want to do, then you're in luck, there are ****loads of them, not only at IB's but also at major companies like BlackRock ranging all the way down to smaller asset managers. Same applies to Operations roles.

I realise this has strayed from the question, but the answer is, yes, you will stand a good chance with Bath. However like I have outlined above, really know what area you want to go into, before choosing whether to do the placement year or not (reason I say this is because the placement year tends to be the big reason many firm Bath over another Uni).
Original post by Fas
Be careful with this. You need to really determine which area of Investment Banking you want to go into.

One of the main advantages of going to Bath is the placement year, HOWEVER for some areas of Investment Banking, there are very few opportunities provided by the placement year.

For example if you're looking to gain experience in M&A, then I would advise choosing the summer internship route rather than the placement year. Between August and now, only 4/5 M&A Industrial Placement roles have come out, and the only major ones have been at Strategy& (which is not Investment Banking) and the only IB which has offered one is UBS. You also have roles at smaller firms such as Grant Thornton, Catalyst Corporate Finance and RSM, but thats really it. And none of those are Investment Banks either. Lazard used to run one, which may resurface next year, however hasn't featured.

If its Investment Management/Asset Management that you want to do, then you're in luck, there are ****loads of them, not only at IB's but also at major companies like BlackRock ranging all the way down to smaller asset managers. Same applies to Operations roles.

I realise this has strayed from the question, but the answer is, yes, you will stand a good chance with Bath. However like I have outlined above, really know what area you want to go into, before choosing whether to do the placement year or not (reason I say this is because the placement year tends to be the big reason many firm Bath over another Uni).

can you not do a summer after a placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
can you not do a summer after a placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats true you can, but it does require going through the trauma of applying all over again. Not that that should stop anyone, it's just a consideration that they should take into account, especially as you'll be in 4th year (which accounts for 66% of your degree at Bath)
Hello guys,I'm a year 13 student (and new to TSR here :smile: ) and was wondering if any of you lot could help me decide which course was best for getting into a top IB. I have recieved offers from:Cambridge: MathematicsLSE: Mathematics and EconomicsImperial: Mathematics and Statistics for FinanceUCL : Economics with a year abroadBristol: Economics and Mathematics.I've already got an A* in Maths and also achieved another 6A's at AS-level (Further Maths (99%), Physics (94%), Economics (100%), English Literature (88%), Music (91%), History (90%). I am dropping English Lit and so will be predicted 5A*s on top of Maths. I was just wondering would IB's reject me if I don't come from a specific uni (reading on here some people seem to think that if you don't go to one of the target schools you've got a slim chance). This is because Bristol have offered me a full scholarship (of tuition fees ) for all three years of study!Would love to hear you're guys thoughts X.
I'm a first year at Cass for investment and financial risk management with a spring week lined up. My uni has decent IB career prospects but I've really not enjoyed the experience. I don't know many people on my course, the student union is rubbish (not even an ACS) blah blah. I reapplied to UCAS and got into UCL and Warwick (waiting on LSE). I know a lot of people from UCL who seem to be having the time of their life and it is a much better uni. Is it worth me retaking a couple of exams to go to a better uni like UCL despite having wasted a year and having a spring week? I'm really stuck
Original post by banker18
I'm a first year at Cass for investment and financial risk management with a spring week lined up. My uni has decent IB career prospects but I've really not enjoyed the experience. I don't know many people on my course, the student union is rubbish (not even an ACS) blah blah. I reapplied to UCAS and got into UCL and Warwick (waiting on LSE). I know a lot of people from UCL who seem to be having the time of their life and it is a much better uni. Is it worth me retaking a couple of exams to go to a better uni like UCL despite having wasted a year and having a spring week? I'm really stuck

If you prefer the environment at UCL, then go to UCL. It's your life, go somewhere you'll enjoy more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by banker18

yeah our uni is boring, can confirm. i would also recommend you change if the uni experience is important to your life plan.. i'm just craving graduation & leaving the world of institutionalised education forever and ever!

one more year :biggrin:
Original post by gr8wizard10
yeah our uni is boring, can confirm. i would also recommend you change if the uni experience is important to your life plan.. i'm just craving graduation & leaving the world of institutionalised education forever and ever!

one more year :biggrin:

Yeah that's exactly how I feel but I don't think it's normal for someone in first year to already by anticipating graduation. People always tell me uni was the best/ most fun time of their lives and I'm here like **** man, I'm more excited to work at this rate. 1 year sounds so close 😭
I got through to the final stage of assessment at Willis Towers Watson - it's next week. The head of client development and a Vice President from the company have viewed my profile - do you think that suggests Im down to the final few applicants/not many people get through to the assessment centre stage (since we had to do an interview to get this far). Or do you think they're looking at lots of candidate profiles?
Didn't manage to get a spring week despite doing JP Morgan A Level insight and being at Warwick- applied late and made some stupid spelling mistakes in quite a few of my applications. Study law and have managed to secure places on Slaughter & May (MC), Linklaters (MC) and Herbert Smith Freehills (SC) spring insight schemes. Do u guys think i'll still stand a chance of getting a Internship in IBD? Got decent extra curriculars and 1 exec position already but get the feeling no spring week is really going to hinder my chances. Basiclt my options are:
Stay on course and apply to IBD internships
Change to the year abroad version of my course (4 years) and reapply to spring weeks
Change to Economics or PPE and reapply to spring weeks

Any opinions would be really appreciated. Just really interested if anyone has any stats with regards to the likelihood to securing an internship without a spring week.
Original post by natsciballer
Didn't manage to get a spring week despite doing JP Morgan A Level insight and being at Warwick- applied late and made some stupid spelling mistakes in quite a few of my applications. Study law and have managed to secure places on Slaughter & May (MC), Linklaters (MC) and Herbert Smith Freehills (SC) spring insight schemes. Do u guys think i'll still stand a chance of getting a Internship in IBD? Got decent extra curriculars and 1 exec position already but get the feeling no spring week is really going to hinder my chances. Basiclt my options are:
Stay on course and apply to IBD internships
Change to the year abroad version of my course (4 years) and reapply to spring weeks
Change to Economics or PPE and reapply to spring weeks

Any opinions would be really appreciated. Just really interested if anyone has any stats with regards to the likelihood to securing an internship without a spring week.

generally statistically better chance in landing a summer anyway

Chill so theres still a strong chance of securing an internship

Really? So the acceptance rate is higher for summer internships than Spring weeks?
Original post by natsciballer
Chill so theres still a strong chance of securing an internship

there's never a strong chance - statistically it's like a 1-2% chance or whatever it is, when taking the whole population of applicants - although at a target it is stronger.. but on the point of you not landing a spring, your chances aren't diminished to an extent you should start worrying much
Original post by Trapz99
Really? So the acceptance rate is higher for summer internships than Spring weeks?

well springs accept like 30-100 people.. summers accept notably more
well springs accept like 30-100 people.. summers accept notably more

Yeah but way more people apply, so the chances aren't any higher than for Spring weeks.
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but way more people apply, so the chances aren't any higher than for Spring weeks.

the marginal increase in applicants doesn't outweigh the number of increased spots available, so chances of getting a summer are stastically higher*

*note: higher is a relative measure - chances are still incredibly low, i'm basing this on the observable spring week probabilities

-e.g:
let's assume: 30 spring week spots & say 5,000 applicants
if there are 200 summer spots, there would need to be over ~33,000 applicants for chances to be lower.
(edited 8 years ago)
the marginal increase in applicants doesn't outweigh the number of increased spots available, so chances of getting a summer are stastically higher*

*note: higher is a relative measure - chances are still incredibly low, i'm basing this on the observable spring week probabilities

Oh I didn't know that- thanks for telling me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending