The Student Room Group

M7 mechanics: mass on smooth sphere

Mechanics problem, TeeEm style.

A mass mm is placed on the surface of a smooth hemisphere, radius RR, at a height R32R \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} from the base of the hemisphere and is given an initial horizontal velocity of UU, tangential to the sphere.

Find an expression for the normal reaction N(θ)N(\theta) of the hemisphere on the mass when it has fallen to a height RcosθR\cos\theta, where θ\theta is the polar angle measured from the vertical. (So that θ=0\theta=0 corresponds to the top of the hemisphere)

(I think that I've got the correct result for this - it was messier than I'd anticipated)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:afraid:
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser

A mass mm is placed on the surface of a smooth hemisphere, radius RR, at a height R32R \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} from the base of the hemisphere and is given an initial horizontal velocity of UU.

Find an expression for the normal reaction N(θ)N(\theta) of the hemisphere on the mass when it has fallen to a height RcosθR\cos\theta, where θ\theta is the polar angle measured from the vertical. (So that θ=0\theta=0 corresponds to the top of the hemisphere)

(I think that I've got the correct result for this - it was messier than I'd anticipated)

sorry teaching today
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
sorry teaching today

I'm happy to wait.
I'm happy to wait.

He likes his excuses
Reply 5

A mass mm is placed on the surface of a smooth hemisphere, radius RR, at a height R32R \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} from the base of the hemisphere and is given an initial horizontal velocity of UU.

I got

N = mU2/R +mg( √3-cosθ )
Original post by TeeEm
I got

N = mU2/R +mg( √3-cosθ )

Correct
Reply 7
Original post by GeologyMaths
Correct

reassuring ....
Reply 8
Original post by GeologyMaths
He likes his excuses

He didn't wimp out - Teeem's answer has been provided.
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
I got

N = mU2/R +mg( √3-cosθ )

Oh dear. I get something quite different:

N=2mgcosθmg32+mU2R(34sin2θ1)\displaystyle N = 2mg \cos\theta -\frac{mg\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{mU^2}{R}(\frac{3}{4\sin^2\theta}-1)
Reply 10
Oh dear. I get something quite different:

N=2mgcosθmg32+mU2R(34sin2θ1)\displaystyle N = 2mg \cos\theta -\frac{mg\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{mU^2}{R}(\frac{3}{4\sin^2\theta}-1)

we may be solving a very different problem ...

what I see being described here is a very simple problem and I suspect you mean something a lot more complicated which I interpreted in a simplistic way
Reply 11
Original post by TeeEm
we may be solving a very different problem ...

what I see being described here is a very simple problem and I suspect you mean something a lot more complicated which I interpreted in a simplistic way

Did you notice that the initial velocity is horizontal i.e. initially parallel to the base?
Reply 12
Did you notice that the initial velocity is horizontal i.e. initially parallel to the base?

I did not ...
then it leaves the surface?
Reply 13
Original post by TeeEm
I did not ...
then it leaves the surface?

Not sure that I follow. It will leave the surface for a sufficiently large value of UU, I guess, otherwise it'll spiral round the sphere until it falls off, no?
Reply 14
Not sure that I follow. It will leave the surface for a sufficiently large value of UU, I guess, otherwise it'll spiral round the sphere until it falls off, no?

Now I see what you are describing
The velocity is horizontal and tangential.
will try it again if not tonight tomorrow when I am off
:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by TeeEm
Now I see what you are describing
The velocity is horizontal and tangential.
will try it again if not tonight tomorrow when I am off
:smile:

Right. That is a key point that I didn't make clear - it is also tangential. [I've edited the original post]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Right. That is a key point that I didn't make clear - it is also tangential. [I've edited the original post]

I spent over 2 hours this afternoon
I feel I got something (I can post my attempt) but the parameterization or connection between z and r is a total mess
Reply 17
Original post by TeeEm
I spent over 2 hours this afternoon
I feel I got something (I can post my attempt) but the parameterization or connection between z and r is a total mess

Sure, put it up. I'll post my attempt at a solution tomorrow - I took a Lagrangian approach again.
Reply 18

Someone *really* likes this thread...
Reply 19
Sure, put it up. I'll post my attempt at a solution tomorrow - I took a Lagrangian approach again.

Yeah, OK, Gnomes&Knights, I get the message - I'll put up my solution when I get a chance to make an electronic copy.

Quick Reply

Latest