The Student Room Group

How does one get an A in maths?!

Yo so in all the past papers I'm doing I keep getting like 10 marks off a A all together. What do I have to do to get that A?!?!
Cheers. X
Original post by sahil19
Yo so in all the past papers I'm doing I keep getting like 10 marks off a A all together. What do I have to do to get that A?!?!
Cheers. X

Practice a lot.. also look at where you're losing marks in those past papers and why, and shape your revision around that.
Reply 2
Original post by sahil19
Cheers. X

How did you manage to get a B? I keep getting C's in Edexcel Maths could you give me some revision tips.
When it comes to math, all you can do is practise, and practise. Meaning, do not waste your time making revision notes-- rather invest that time in doing as many questions as possible.

However, I know that is a generic advice and one that you are most likely not looking for.
That said, I suggest investing time on grabbing the easy five mark questions. Look for the five mark questions to begin with, and spend time in doing them to increase your mark capacity; many often only score 3-4 due to not paying attention or spending enough time on it.
Original post by sahil19
Cheers. X

Is this GCSE or A level? Have you tried looking at the marking schemes to see where and why you are losing the marks? First, make sure you understand and know the content, then look at exam technique, how you're answering the questions. Are you losing marks for getting things wrong? Or for missing things out? For things like leaving the axes unlabelled on a graph? That sort of stuff. If you still can't see why you aren't getting more marks - ask your teachers for some help.
About 65 - 70 % in each paper.
Original post by sahil19
Cheers. X

Advice is, do ALL topics from A* to G AND know the equations etc off by heart, this way your granteed to get an A.
Reply 7
Original post by cheshiremum
Is this GCSE or A level? Have you tried looking at the marking schemes to see where and why you are losing the marks? First, make sure you understand and know the content, then look at exam technique, how you're answering the questions. Are you losing marks for getting things wrong? Or for missing things out? For things like leaving the axes unlabelled on a graph? That sort of stuff. If you still can't see why you aren't getting more marks - ask your teachers for some help.

Will do- and GCSE.
Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Tinka99
How did you manage to get a B? I keep getting C's in Edexcel Maths could you give me some revision tips.

Don't really think I'm in a position to give advice :biggrin: I just nailed the B stuff in year 10; the A* and B questions I'm fine with but somehow the A stuff perplex's me aha.
Reply 9
Thanks for all of the advice! Much appreciated! X
Reply 10
I'd say a fair amount of people can probably gain at least 5% if they "simply" read the questions properly. I know teachers harp on about it, but I am naturally good at maths, but would always drop marks simply from misreading questions or not interpreting them properly.
Original post by Tinka99

I'm struggling to get anything more than a (C) too!! :frown:
Original post by Philip-flop
I'm struggling to get anything more than a (C) too!! :frown:

I am gonna be going through all of the B,C and D stuff throughout the Easter Holidays. In my obsession with A*/A I neglected all the stuff lower down and got some of the A*/A stuff right on the paper not worth too many marks but lost a chunk of marks on simple stuff e.g. bearings thus got a C.

Quick Reply

Latest