The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Cambridge help

Hi, I'm currently finishing year 12 and was hoping for some advice. I've come out of this year with predicted grades of A* A* A* A where A*s are in Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths and the A is in Music Technology.

My initial question is I was wondering if this would make it worth it to have a shot at getting into Cambridge? I realise there are other factors too that they use for deciding who gets in and who doesn't such as the personal statement and interview (if you get one).

Here are some of my other main questions:
- Which college would be best for me to apply to? I'm hoping to only have to revise for one entrance exam (TMUA), I know some colleges require others but some only require the TMUA.

- What significance does the college have? Does it mean you will be in different lectures / tutorials or is it just a way to make the admission process easier and divide the students?

- Is there any recommended reading / websites / videos related to maths / computing that I can do which I would be able to put on my personal statement?

Thanks for anyone who decides to spend their time to reply :smile:
Reply 1
The college is more important in the lifestyle than the teaching, I only really know how it works for natural science, but most of your lectures should be out of college, and its only really the tutorials that are in college. The college depends on whether you want a big or small college, how far away from city centre, stuff like that. You will be able to find out on the college website which colleges require just TMUA. In terms of super curricular, doing things like the maths olympiad and getting good scores is good, you could try and take on a big computing project (one of my friends is doing a neural network, another is doing 3d fluid physics) and work on that over the summer, and ofc reading is smth you should be doing. Some colleges will be "easier" to get in, though the winter pool should in theory mean that it doesnt matter, however I would say that the winter pool does often introduce a lot of luck to who gets taken out, so you should still pick strategically

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending