The Student Room Group

Level 2 Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Username3097486
How did you self teach it?

Printed out the spec and went through what I knew. Then I used this website:
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsefm.htm
and used all the possible resources I could find to help me with the topics I was uncomfortable with. As some of it crosses over with A Level Maths, I used C1/C2 textbooks ot find any of the topics and also tried out their questions.
It's really not that hard to get an A* in this, as I find the grade boundaries ridiculously low. If I do badly I get an A* :tongue:

But on a serious note, do plenty of practice papers and questions and spot your weaknesses and try to work on them. Obviously there'll always be questions that will catch you out but you just need to work on reducing the frequency of these so that you don't lose as many marks.
Original post by NiamhM1801
It's really not that hard to get an A* in this, as I find the grade boundaries ridiculously low. If I do badly I get an A* :tongue:

But on a serious note, do plenty of practice papers and questions and spot your weaknesses and try to work on them. Obviously there'll always be questions that will catch you out but you just need to work on reducing the frequency of these so that you don't lose as many marks.

Do you even find stuff like trig identities easy? Because our class hasn't even started it D:
Personally i find differentiation the easiest but im nervous about starting trig soon.
Do you even find stuff like trig identities easy? Because our class hasn't even started it D:
Personally i find differentiation the easiest but im nervous about starting trig soon.

Trig identities take a bit of getting used to I'll admit, but once you learn it it's very easy to spot the patterns. They're nearly always (if not always) proof questions so you always know what you're looking to get.

I also find differentiation one of the easiest topics, and anything to do with stationary points I really like (I'm a very sad maths loving person :redface:)

Don't be nervous as I'm sure you'll find it ok. It's not that much more than what you have to do for GCSE to be honest, and most of it actually makes a lot of sense the first time round.

Are there any other topics you struggle with/are worried about as I'd be happy to help you :smile:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Trig identities take a bit of getting used to I'll admit, but once you learn it it's very easy to spot the patterns. They're nearly always (if not always) proof questions so you always know what you're looking to get.

I also find differentiation one of the easiest topics, and anything to do with stationary points I really like (I'm a very sad maths loving person :redface:)

Don't be nervous as I'm sure you'll find it ok. It's not that much more than what you have to do for GCSE to be honest, and most of it actually makes a lot of sense the first time round.

Are there any other topics you struggle with/are worried about as I'd be happy to help you :smile:

Thanks so much! Honestly im pretty sure further maths is my weakest subject, ive never imagined that someone would find it very easy xD

So far I'd say my weakest topics are matrices(because it was so out of the blue) and the factor theorem. my main question is however, do you think I could self teach myself further maths up to an A* grade in the easter holidays??
Thanks so much! Honestly im pretty sure further maths is my weakest subject, ive never imagined that someone would find it very easy xD

So far I'd say my weakest topics are matrices(because it was so out of the blue) and the factor theorem. my main question is however, do you think I could self teach myself further maths up to an A* grade in the easter holidays??

Aw you're welcome :smile:

As for the self teaching, I'd say it depends on how strong you are at maths. If maths normally just clicks for you, but it's just the further content that you're struggling with then I'd say it's definitely doable. You'll just need YouTube videos, practice questions, a lot of determination and someone to call on if you get really stuck on something!

The Easter holidays is 2 weeks which is plenty of time to get up to scratch with all the content (there's not even that much of it anyway seeing as it's only a one year course)

I would, however, seek help from your teacher for matrices, as they are notoriously difficult to grasp on your own. And I'm sure you can find a good website which explains the factor theorem in very easy terms so it's easier for you to grasp.

By the way, Further Maths is NOT meant to be easy!!! It's actually quite good that you find it challenging (even if you don't feel like it :tongue:) as that's what they were aiming for, it's called 'Further' for a reason. However, I'm sure that with a little bit of guidance you'll definitely be able to hit that A*, or maybe even the A^ if AQA are kind to us :wink:

(If you need any help with anything in particular feel free to PM me :smile:)
Reply 26

In the Easter holiday I think you could definitely get yourself to an A* grade if you work hard. If you say your weakest topics are factor theorem and matrices, practice factor theorem and matrices questions or go on YouTube and look at videos about them to help further your understanding (sometimes I think it's best to know slightly more than what is required as it allows you to full understand what is required).
If you get stuck on any questions or need someone to clarify something then just post your questions here and someone is bound to help.
As for you saying matrices are out of the blue, they certainly are because matrices don't even appear on the A level maths spec - only at further maths a level do you look at matrices.
Factors theorem questions http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/basic_topics/various/polynomials_exam_questions_intro.pdf
I've looked through the questions and most of them should be suitable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ameenatariq
Any tips on how to get an A*??? I've watched the exam solutions videos but I still need help

I did it last year and just went through the cgp revision guide (which is fine for self teaching like I did) then did some past papers and it turned out well :smile:
Thanks both of you!

Quick Reply

Latest