The Student Room Group

Have I made it impossible to get into top unis with my a level choices?

So when I went to enrol I chose to do a level maths ,music,economics and accounting because I’m interested in those subjects. I was told further maths is desirable to do economics at a top university but I wanted to do subjects I was more interested in. And now I’ve discovered that accounting is considered a soft subject and music doesn’t count as a “traditional subject even though it is very hard to do well in.

But mostly I don’t want my a level choices to stop me even having a chance at doing economics at top unis so I was wondering if my choices are an issue?
Reply 1
Also maths is my strongest subject by a lot followed closely by history . But I’m worried that by doing a “soft” subject instead of further maths I’ve ruined my chance of even having a shot at LSE or oxbridge because I’m not gonna be doing the a level to prove maths is my best subject.
Original post by Peach_rose34
So when I went to enrol I chose to do a level maths ,music,economics and accounting because I’m interested in those subjects. I was told further maths is desirable to do economics at a top university but I wanted to do subjects I was more interested in. And now I’ve discovered that accounting is considered a soft subject and music doesn’t count as a “traditional subject even though it is very hard to do well in.

But mostly I don’t want my a level choices to stop me even having a chance at doing economics at top unis so I was wondering if my choices are an issue?

only a couple of universities require further maths outside Maths degrees and I dont know of anywhere that requires it for Accountancy although it would be worth you checking te universities entry requirements. Maths and Economics are preferred subjects as far I know everywhere and universities only require 2 preferred subjects. I dont see you will have any issues .

Having checked lse will require as Further Maths
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
only a couple of universities require further maths outside Maths degrees and I dont know of anywhere that requires it for Accountancy although it would be worth you checking te universities entry requirements. Maths and Economics are preferred subjects as far I know everywhere and universities only require 2 preferred subjects. I dont see you will have any issues .

Having checked lse will require as Further Maths

Oh I thought further maths wasn’t a hard requirement I was at least hoping for a shot at lse(I have checked ).
Thanks though good that I only need 2 preferred subjects.
Oh I thought further maths wasn’t a hard requirement I was at least hoping for a shot at lse(I have checked ).
Thanks though good that I only need 2 preferred subjects.

LSE have a list of their preferred subject google that but it certainly looks like you will need as further maths to be considered. If everyone else has it and you dont why whould they choose you. Everyone there will have outstanding grades.
LSE have a list of their preferred subject google that but it certainly looks like you will need as further maths to be considered. If everyone else has it and you dont why whould they choose you. Everyone there will have outstanding grades.

Some degree programmes at the School are highly mathematical in content and therefore Mathematics A-level or equivalent is a requirement. A number of programmes also require a qualification in Further Mathematics (where available), or consider one helpful. However, the combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics plus one other subject is considered insufficiently broad for many of our programmes. Please refer to the degree programme pages and/or the table below for details on Further Mathematics and its acceptability for each programme.

We are aware that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme and find it helpful if applicants and/or their referees can indicate whether or not the applicant’s school or college offers Further Mathematics classes.

For programmes requiring A* in Mathematics A-level, an A* in Further Mathematics in addition to an A grade in Mathematics is an acceptable alternative.

Combination Degree Programme
Group 1: Programmes which require either
1) A-level Maths, A-level Further Maths and one other subject
OR
2) A-level Maths, two other subjects and AS level Further Maths

BSc Mathematics and Economics (GL11)

BSc Mathematics with Economics (G1L1)

BSc Financial Mathematics and Statistics (GN13)

BSc Mathematics with Data Science (G140)

Group 2: Programmes which are happy
to consider applicants offering A-level Maths,
A-level Further Maths and one other subject

BSc Actuarial Science (N321)

BSc Data Science (N3UD)

BSc Mathematics, Statistics and Business (G0N0)

BSc Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method (V503)

BSc Psychological and Behavioural Science (C800)

Group 3: Programmes which are happy to consider applicants offering
A-level Maths and A-level Further Maths in combination with an essay writing subject

BSc Accounting and Finance (NN34) *

BA Anthropology and Law (ML16)

BA/BSc Social Anthropology (L601/3)

BSc Economic History (V300)

BSc Economics and Economic History (VL31)

BSc Economics (L101)

BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics (L140)

BSc Finance

BA International History (V146)

LLB Laws (M100)

BSc Management (N200) *

BSc Philosophy, Politics and Economics (L0V0)

BSc Philosophy and Economics (LV15)

Group 4: Programmes where a combination
of A-level Maths, A-level Further Maths and one other subject may be considered less competitive

BSc Economic History and Geography (V3L7)

BSc Environment and Development (FK84)

BSc Environmental Policy with Economics (F9L1)

BA Geography (L702)

BSc Geography and Economics (L7L1)

BSc International Relations (L250)

BSc International Relations and History (VL12)

BSc International Relations and Mandarin (L2T1)

BSc International Social and Public Policy (L400)

BSc International Social and Public Policy and Economics (LLK1)

BSc International Social and Public Policy with Government (LL42)

BSc Language, Culture and Society (L3R9)

BSc Politics (L230)

BSc Politics and Data Science (N3UD)

BSc Politics and Economics (LL12)

BSc Politics and History (LV21)

BSc Politics and Philosophy (LV25)

BSc Politics and International Relations (L290)

BSc Sociology (L301)

* BSc Accounting and Finance and BSc Management prefer an essay writing subject but will consider other combinations.

Changes to International Baccalaureate Diploma Mathematics
Reply 6
What do you consider top universities? If I were looking to study economics I would take further maths.
Admissions information
Each application we receive is carefully considered on an individual basis, taking into account the full range of information presented on the UCAS application form.

The information below is designed to help our prospective applicants who may have queries ranging from preferred subject combinations, our stance on retakes, and the manner in which we assess the information presented in your application.

As you will see from the application data provided on our individual programme pages, there is a great deal of competition for places at the School. In 2021, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,700 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.

Subject combinations
Introduction

As the majority of our applicants apply with A-levels, this guidance is written primarily towards that audience. However, the information contained is relevant to students offering any qualification. If you are unsure how this guidance applies to your qualification, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Note that where specific guidance regarding the suitability of a particular subject/subject combination is given on the entry requirements pages of Information for international students, that guidance supersedes the more general guidance given below.

Subject combinations and non-preferred subjects

The School considers not only the individual qualifications offered by applicants but also the combination of subjects offered. Individual degree programmes may have specific subject requirements or preferences which are listed in the admissions criteria for each individual programme. We also have a number of general policies, listed below.

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance.

Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects.

Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects.

Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
Common "non-preferred" subjects:

Any Applied A-level
Accounting****
Art and Design
Business Studies
Citizenship Studies
Communication and Culture
Creative Writing
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies***
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Physical Education/Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
Normally excluded subjects:

Critical Thinking
General Studies
Global Perspectives and Research
Knowledge and Enquiry
Project Work
Thinking Skills
Reply 8
Admissions information
Each application we receive is carefully considered on an individual basis, taking into account the full range of information presented on the UCAS application form.

The information below is designed to help our prospective applicants who may have queries ranging from preferred subject combinations, our stance on retakes, and the manner in which we assess the information presented in your application.

As you will see from the application data provided on our individual programme pages, there is a great deal of competition for places at the School. In 2021, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,700 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.

Subject combinations
Introduction

As the majority of our applicants apply with A-levels, this guidance is written primarily towards that audience. However, the information contained is relevant to students offering any qualification. If you are unsure how this guidance applies to your qualification, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Note that where specific guidance regarding the suitability of a particular subject/subject combination is given on the entry requirements pages of Information for international students, that guidance supersedes the more general guidance given below.

Subject combinations and non-preferred subjects

The School considers not only the individual qualifications offered by applicants but also the combination of subjects offered. Individual degree programmes may have specific subject requirements or preferences which are listed in the admissions criteria for each individual programme. We also have a number of general policies, listed below.

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance.

Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects.

Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects.

Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
Common "non-preferred" subjects:

Any Applied A-level
Accounting****
Art and Design
Business Studies
Citizenship Studies
Communication and Culture
Creative Writing
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies***
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Physical Education/Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
Normally excluded subjects:

Critical Thinking
General Studies
Global Perspectives and Research
Knowledge and Enquiry
Project Work
Thinking Skills

First of all thank you that’s incredibly helpful .

I guess finding out all this information means I have a choice to make -change an a level to further maths or not. Accounting seems really interesting to me but with it being “not preferred” maybe I should change it to further maths . Then music is way less interesting but would provide a lot of resources for me to improve at piano that I otherwise couldn’t afford . And even changing a levels at all after enrolment makes me a bit of a pain in the arse but like I said I’d at least like a shot at lse/oxbridge and if I need to do further maths knowing my thoughts would you recommend I change music or accounting ?

I guess finding out all this information means I have a choice to make -change an a level to further maths or not. Accounting seems really interesting to me but with it being “not preferred” maybe I should change it to further maths . Then music is way less interesting but would provide a lot of resources for me to improve at piano that I otherwise couldn’t afford . And even changing a levels at all after enrolment makes me a bit of a pain in the arse but like I said I’d at least like a shot at lse/oxbridge and if I need to do further maths knowing my thoughts would you recommend I change music or accounting ?

You only need 3 subjects why are you taking 4. Maths, FM and Economics should be enough for anyone but from your comments I would go for Music as a 4th because of your interest in it. You could drop FM after the first and concentrate on Maths, Economics and Music as that seems your love and it is a preferred subject although that wont matter as you already have 2 in Maths and Economics.

I would drop accounting - it's very niche and few schools offer it.

I'm pretty shoocked you did not find out about FMaths before? Didn't your school tell you?
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
I would drop accounting - it's very niche and few schools offer it.

I'm pretty shoocked you did not find out about FMaths before? Didn't your school tell you?

I knew it was available but my impression was -maths is hard enough , further maths is just for people who want to do engineering/computer science/maths degrees . And then at enrolment I got the impression Further maths helped for economics but wasn’t necessary. And now I’m suddenly realising that to be even considered for the best unis for economics I need further maths .
I emailed admissions anyway. Enrolment was 2 days ago and my gcses are fab so I hope I can change music to further maths .
I knew it was available but my impression was -maths is hard enough , further maths is just for people who want to do engineering/computer science/maths degrees . And then at enrolment I got the impression Further maths helped for economics but wasn’t necessary. And now I’m suddenly realising that to be even considered for the best unis for economics I need further maths .
I emailed admissions anyway. Enrolment was 2 days ago and my gcses are fab so I hope I can change music to further maths .

I'd keep music and ditch accounting -
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
I'd keep music and ditch accounting -

I asked to ditch music -out of interest in accounting and lack of interest in music theory. Hopefully since I’m doing 4 it doesn’t matter than accounting is niche .

Quick Reply

Latest