The Student Room Group

A level further maths worth it

Hello,

Soon I will be picking which sixth form I would like to go to. I'm interested in one where it states that maths and further maths are not optional. That is no issue as I plan to take maths (biology and chemistry) but further maths isn't in my books. What exactly is in the course, does it not have a lot of pure maths? Eg statistics? My maths is quite good if I say so myself. I'm predicted a 9 but I got a 7 (mocks) there is always room for improvement.

In addition this school has entrance exams so is it worth to apply with it's slim success rate and having to take a level further maths even though its being supported by Cambridge uni?

I'm just a bit conflicted as I only have 3 choices but 4 places in mind.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Trickia
Hello,

Soon I will be picking which sixth form I would like to go to. I'm interested in one where it states that maths and further maths are not optional. That is no issue as I plan to take maths (biology and chemistry) but further maths isn't in my books. What exactly is in the course, does it not have a lot of pure maths? Eg statistics? My maths is quite good if I say so myself. I'm predicted a 9 but I got a 7 (mocks) there is always room for improvement.

In addition this school has entrance exams so is it worth to apply with it's slim success rate and having to take a level further maths even though its being supported by Cambridge uni?

It would be a lot of extra work and when you apply to uni you would be expected to do well in all 4 A-levels, so if you can't do as well you are less likely to get offers for uni. If you feel you could take on the work load it could be worth it, but if you feel you may struggle through it and your grades may suffer it probably wouldn't be worth it.
If you plan to do a maths related course at a good Uni then further maths is almost a prerequisite

As you’re asking, I’m assuming that you’re not? So, no you don’t have to do further maths
Original post by Johnny Valentine
If you plan to do a maths related course at a good Uni then further maths is almost a prerequisite

As you’re asking, I’m assuming that you’re not? So, no you don’t have to do further maths

Wrong.
Manchester - A*AA with A* in math, for mathematics BSc. A*A*A with A* in math aand physics, for physics bsc
Warwick - A*A*A with A* in maths and physics, for math and physics bsc
Bristol - A*A*A with A* in math and A in math related subject. Math with statistics bsc
Leeds - AAA with A in math or A*AB with A* in math, math bsc
nottingham - A*AA, A* in math? math bsc
Birmingham - AAA, math bsc
Southampton - AAB, A in math and physics, for physics bsc. ABB with interview, and also for physics bsc. the master physics with math mphys need 1 grade higher, but at least you can get into flagship course if you do well
Glasgow - mphys physics 2nd year entry, A*AA with A* in math. so is edinburgh. for math/statistics glasgow, 4 years, AAB. edin needs higher, 1st year, no need FM
LSE - no need further math for the math course but the chance is slim
KCL - AAB for physics bsc A in math and physics, AAA for mphys

Even without Further Maths you can still get into a maths related course at a good Uni. If you acceptt physics is maths related (in applied side). Even for Math courses you can get into strong universities without Further Maths.

Ik because i've been offered, and had i changed i probably would've gotten offered from at least some of them
further maths is not "almost a prerequisite"

Even if you waant to do math at a good uni you don't necessarily need Further Math. Unless you want to get into COWI, then take FM for math. And maybe some other universities for FM. If not, no need. But still if you love math go ahead
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for all the quick replies xx

I'm planning to try to apply to the sixth form as I plan to go to a prestigious uni. It has good connections to Cambridge uni so an extra a level doesn't seem that bad considering I have taken extra gcse and other schools are forcing us to do the EPQ if we get in.

Very grateful for the advice thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Trickia
Hello,

i do FM (edexcel) and Ill just run through the course, you might do a different exam board but i think some of the content is the same. There are 3 modules you'll take; 1 is compulsory (known as Core Pure) - covers Vectors, Matrices, hyperbolics, Complex Numbers, Series, Differential equations etc. The other two modules your sixth form would decide (unless you take another module privately), you can take: Decision 1 (covers algorithms, critical path analysis, TSP etc.), Decision 2 (all i know is game theory lol), Stats 1 (I dont take this so idk), Stats 2 (again no idea), Further Mechanics 1 (moment and impulse, elastic collisions, work/power), Further Mechanics 2, Pure 1 (group theory, l'hospitals rule etc), Pure 2 (no idea). You can take a combo of two 1s (etc D1 and FM 2) or you can take 1 and 2 (e.g D1 and D2).

I'd say the course is definitely difficult but it is manageable (though I did a C in my mock), I do D1 and FM1 and they are okay at best. Core Pure is okay as well. In the end, you'll do 4 papers I think, two on core pure and one for each other module (all papers are 1hr 30 i think)
Reply 6
Original post by justlearning1469
Wrong.
Manchester - A*AA with A* in math, for mathematics BSc. A*A*A with A* in math aand physics, for physics bsc
Bristol - A*A*A with A* in math and A in math related subject. Math with statistics bsc
Southampton - AAB, A in math and physics, for physics bsc. ABB with interview, and also for physics bsc. the master physics with math mphys need 1 grade higher, but at least you can get into flagship course if you do well
Glasgow - mphys physics 2nd year entry, A*AA with A* in math. so is edinburgh. for math/statistics glasgow, 4 years, AAB. edin needs higher, 1st year, no need FM

Even without Further Maths you can still get into a maths related course at a good Uni. If you acceptt physics is maths related (in applied side). Even for Math courses you can get into strong universities without Further Maths.

Ik because i've been offered, and had i changed i probably would've gotten offered from at least some of them

Even if you waant to do math at a good uni you don't necessarily need Further Math. Unless you want to get into COWI, then take FM for math. And maybe some other universities for FM. If not, no need. But still if you love math go ahead

If someone is considering a maths course at uni then it’s the obvious choice to at least start further maths as a fourth A Level and drop it if the workload is too much.

If someone isn’t considering a maths course or has no idea then taking FM is probably not a good idea. As you say if they do feel that after a year they change their mind and want to study maths then they still have options.
Reply 7
Original post by justlearning1469
Wrong.

I would not consider some of thse uni 'good' for Maths and you need to look at single honours coursss not joint
Reply 8
FM isn't compulsory even for the prestigious unis. They only prefer it if you're taking a Maths related course and in some cases, courses like Economics at very competitive unis like LSE. It all depends on what course you're doing and which uni you're aiming for.

Also, you should be careful about the workload especially if you're taking an EPQ. A Levels are not comparable to GCSEs. This is coming from someone who had classes from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm while juggling 18 exams, and an extra two for uni entry in my home country. A Levels are surprisingly much more draining. If you do choose to take FM and find yourself exhausted, drop it and continue with your main three. As long as you do well in any entry exams the competitive unis may have, you're fine with three A Levels especially if you have the EPQ.
Reply 9
Original post by DarylO
FM isn't compulsory even for the prestigious unis. They only prefer it if you're taking a Maths related course and in some cases, courses like Economics at very competitive unis like LSE. It all depends on what course you're doing and which uni you're aiming for.

Also, you should be careful about the workload especially if you're taking an EPQ. A Levels are not comparable to GCSEs. This is coming from someone who had classes from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm while juggling 18 exams, and an extra two for uni entry in my home country. A Levels are surprisingly much more draining. If you do choose to take FM and find yourself exhausted, drop it and continue with your main three. As long as you do well in any entry exams the competitive unis may have, you're fine with three A Levels especially if you have the EPQ.

Well unfortunately the school that im talking about (out of the three) state that further maths is mandatory so it cant be dropped. However they wont make us do an epq so it should be alright
Reply 10
Original post by Trickia
Well unfortunately the school that im talking about (out of the three) state that further maths is mandatory so it cant be dropped. However they wont make us do an epq so it should be alright

Ohhhh, I see. I mixed up the information you gave. My apologies. I thought you were going for four A Levels with the EPQ.

Yeah, four is doable. Just make sure you seek support if you're ever overwhelmed at any point. Goodluck with the school journey
Reply 11
Original post by Trickia

Can you drop it at many point during the two year course?
Original post by Trickia

Choose a different school then.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by DarylO
Ohhhh, I see. I mixed up the information you gave. My apologies. I thought you were going for four A Levels with the EPQ.

Yeah, four is doable. Just make sure you seek support if you're ever overwhelmed at any point. Goodluck with the school journey

Nah dw you helped either way, thank you again
Reply 14
Original post by Trickia
Nah dw you helped either way, thank you again

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Notnek
Can you drop it at many point during the two year course?

The further maths nope. The school is a maths school so maths and further maths has to be taken. They would probably suggest me to drop another subject if I needed to.
Reply 16
Original post by Trickia
The further maths nope. The school is a maths school so maths and further maths has to be taken. They would probably suggest me to drop another subject if I needed to.

If you have doubts about further maths then a maths school is not for you and I’m confused why you’re even considering going to one.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Notnek
If you have doubts about further maths then a maths school is not for you and I’m confused why you’re even considering going to one.

Personally it's because I want to do stem so it fits. Also as its a good school in my area compared to the rest and it's one of the best for stem hence why I want to apply
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Trickia
Personally it's because I want to do stem so it fits. Also as its a good school in my area compared to the rest and it's one of the best for stem hence why I want to apply

"The aim of maths schools is to prepare the most mathematically able pupils to succeed in mathematics-related disciplines at highly selective maths universities and pursue mathematically intensive careers."

If you have doubts about taking further maths then I question whether this is the best school for you. Also be aware that the majority of maths school students study Physics and/or Compsci in addition to maths and FM (students at the most modern maths schools have to study Physics). Are you sure that you could even do Biology and Chemistry at this school?
Reply 19
Original post by Notnek
"The aim of maths schools is to prepare the most mathematically able pupils to succeed in mathematics-related disciplines at highly selective maths universities and pursue mathematically intensive careers."

If you have doubts about taking further maths then I question whether this is the best school for you. Also be aware that the majority of maths school students study Physics and/or Compsci in addition to maths and FM (students at the most modern maths schools have to study Physics). Are you sure that you could even do Biology and Chemistry at this school?

Dw abt it. it offers science although it is maths school in name it actually is targeted as stem in general

Quick Reply

Latest