The Student Room Group

Help on FP3 Matrix question

20160326_131438-1.jpg
Attachment not found

Struggling with part b, I've done a few attempts and my answer keeps coming out kind of weird..
Original post by creativebuzz
20160326_131438-1.jpg
Attachment not found

Struggling with part b, I've done a few attempts and my answer keeps coming out kind of weird..

3 points:

1) The matrix you used in your working isn't P, or its inverse.
2) Question mentions being transformed by "A". But there is no A: Presumably this is meant to be P
3) You're given the image after transformation, Π2\Pi_2, and need to find what is transformed into that. So, you need the inverse matrix.
Reply 2
20160326_131438-1.jpg
Attachment not found

You're using the wrong matrix. You want to go from the transformed plane to the initial plane, so you need to use the inverse matrix; but you also know P is orthogonal, so the inverse P is the transpose of P - also you seem to be multiplying your matrices out wrong, might want to get that sorted.
Original post by ghostwalker
3 points:

1) The matrix you used in your working isn't P, or its inverse.
2) Question mentions being transformed by "A". But there is no A: Presumably this is meant to be P
3) You're given the image after transformation, Π2\Pi_2, and need to find what is transformed into that. So, you need the inverse matrix.

I was trying to do the same method as you suggested but for some reason I mixed my P matrix up :P Anyway, I've tried the question and this is what I got

WIN_20160326_151836.JPG

How can I take my answer further (unless I've gone wrong somewhere)?
Original post by Zacken
You're using the wrong matrix. You want to go from the transformed plane to the initial plane, so you need to use the inverse matrix; but you also know P is orthogonal, so the inverse P is the transpose of P - also you seem to be multiplying your matrices out wrong, might want to get that sorted.

Not to be a bother but I responded to the vector question we were talking about yesterday http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3973217&p=63646553#post63646553
Reply 5
Not to be a bother but I responded to the vector question we were talking about yesterday http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3973217&p=63646553#post63646553

Sorry, didn't see it, just replied to it.
Reply 6
I was trying to do the same method as you suggested but for some reason I mixed my P matrix up :P Anyway, I've tried the question and this is what I got

WIN_20160326_151836.JPG

How can I take my answer further (unless I've gone wrong somewhere)?

Your answer is perfectly correct! Now you just need to state that the plane is y=0y=0 and you are done, as x and z can take any values.
Original post by Zacken
Your answer is perfectly correct! Now you just need to state that the plane is y=0y=0 and you are done, as x and z can take any values.

Yeah that's the part that lost me! If the question says that the plane is tranformed into another plane surely my answer needs to be in the form of a plane! Also the mark scheme has a different z and x to me but the same y=0 (instead
Attachment not found
Reply 8
Yeah that's the part that lost me! If the question says that the plane is tranformed into another plane surely my answer needs to be in the form of a plane! Also the mark scheme has a different z and x to me but the same y=0 (instead

Think about this: the Cartesian plane you're used to (x-y axes) is just the plane z=0z=0, then x,yx,y can take any values you'd like in this plane.

In this case - we have the plane y=0y=0 and x,zx, z can take any values since I can choose any s,ts,t. So the plane is y=0y=0.
Original post by Zacken
Think about this: the Cartesian plane you're used to (x-y axes) is just the plane z=0z=0, then x,yx,y can take any values you'd like in this plane.

In this case - we have the plane y=0y=0 and x,zx, z can take any values since I can choose any s,ts,t. So the plane is y=0y=0.

Oh right, I see!
Also the mark scheme has a different z and x to me but the same y=0 (instead

I suspect you used a different parameterization to the markscheme - which is fine. Can't tell as you've not posted that bit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
I suspect you used a different parametization to the markscheme - which is fine. Can't tell as you've not posted that bit.

Yeah I let x = s, z = t but they mark scheme let y = t instead of z = t!
Reply 12
Yeah I let x = s, z = t but they mark scheme let y = t instead of z = t!

Yeah, that makes 0 difference and yours is just as valid.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, that makes 0 difference and yours is just as valid.

Awesome, thanks! :smile:

By the way, have you done M2? Because I can't seem to get this M2 Centre of Mass question correct. I thought all you had to do is 2rsinx/3x which is 12sin60/60 = root3/10 but my answer is incorrect

m2.png
Reply 14
Awesome, thanks! :smile:

By the way, have you done M2? Because I can't seem to get this M2 Centre of Mass question correct. I thought all you had to do is 2rsinx/3x which is 12sin60/60 = root3/10 but my answer is incorrect

m2.png

It's a framework not a uniform lamina.
Original post by Zacken
It's a framework not a uniform lamina.

Got the answer now thanks!
Would you mind spotting where I went wrong on this one

WIN_20160327_200206.JPG
Attachment not found
Reply 16
Got the answer now thanks!
Would you mind spotting where I went wrong on this one

You should best make a new thread for it, a cursory glance doesn't reveal the error and I don't have time for it right now, so hopefully somebody else will!

Sorry. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest