The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jbird1
Would really appreciate some advice:
I'm currently in Yr 13 completing Alevels in Maths, Fmaths, Chemistry and Physics. I have a conditional offer to study mechanical engineering at Leeds and an unconditional from Nottingham. After Graduating my aim is to go into IB. I was wondering if it would be advantageous to take a year out and reapply to somewhere like UCL? If I did this what would be the best way to spend my time in this year? Any other tips on how I can give myself the best possible chance of getting into IB from this stage would be very much appreciated

Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jbird1
Would really appreciate some advice:
I'm currently in Yr 13 completing Alevels in Maths, Fmaths, Chemistry and Physics. I have a conditional offer to study mechanical engineering at Leeds and an unconditional from Nottingham. After Graduating my aim is to go into IB. I was wondering if it would be advantageous to take a year out and reapply to somewhere like UCL? If I did this what would be the best way to spend my time in this year? Any other tips on how I can give myself the best possible chance of getting into IB from this stage would be very much appreciated

Well if you end up with a strong set of results and dont mind taking a year out I would go for that. You get an extra year to do some work experience and work on your application plus you'd be in a slightly stronger position at UCL.
Original post by Daniel9998
Well if you end up with a strong set of results and dont mind taking a year out I would go for that. You get an extra year to do some work experience and work on your application plus you'd be in a slightly stronger position at UCL.

Kk thanks,
Any suggestions for work experience? I'm currently looking at Deloitte
Original post by Jbird1
Kk thanks,

Tbh anything would help. But there are plenty of banking work placement programs and insight days that go on throughout the year, just check out their websites.
Original post by Jbird1
Kk thanks,

Only if you get really good grades I'd bother with taking a year out and UCL but UCL isn't good for Engineering anyway even though that has nothing to do with IB chances.
Original post by Trapz99
So you don't do any extra curricular activities? Surely banks care a lot about extra curriculars, at least that's what I have heard...

I certainly don't do as many, or anything high-level/impressive that generally gets stereotyped to people working in the industry. I do a couple of extra-curriculars, but the only one that's on my CV is trading my own account.

Original post by yl95
I wouldn't say they care a lot more because I pretty much had two insight days for finance based and got interviews from all but one. I've definitely noticed that most people at ACs had more work experience than me, although many of them were either on a Masters and/or applying to their second internship.

Yeah but I don't think many people actually classify insight days, or even spring weeks, as decent experience - they're useful for getting your foot in the door at that specific bank, but in terms of skills/experience gained they're not really that useful. Obviously what people perceive the industry to care about is going to be very biased to their own skillset and CV - my interviews are nearly always entirely brainteasers/maths problems and in-depth discussions about my work experience over the last two summers, in the (insert large number) of interviews I've had over the last two years I think I've only once been asked "What ECs do you do/what do you do for fun?"
Original post by Noble.
I certainly don't do as many, or anything high-level/impressive that generally gets stereotyped to people working in the industry. I do a couple of extra-curriculars, but the only one that's on my CV is trading my own account.

Yeah but I don't think many people actually classify insight days, or even spring weeks, as decent experience - they're useful for getting your foot in the door at that specific bank, but in terms of skills/experience gained they're not really that useful. Obviously what people perceive the industry to care about is going to be very biased to their own skillset and CV - my interviews are nearly always entirely brainteasers/maths problems and in-depth discussions about my work experience over the last two summers, in the (insert large number) of interviews I've had over the last two years I think I've only once been asked "What ECs do you do/what do you do for fun?"

Ah no I think you misunderstood my post. I never meant to imply that insight days are decent experience; I was highlighting the fact that the only experience, if any, I have of IB is two insight days and that the rest of my CV is made up of academic and ECs so the ECs must have given me the interviews. Clearly interview questions will be tailored to your CV; you have a lot of relevant work experience so of course you'd be asked on that.
Original post by yl95
Ah no I think you misunderstood my post. I never meant to imply that insight days are decent experience; I was highlighting the fact that the only experience, if any, I have of IB is two insight days and that the rest of my CV is made up of academic and ECs so the ECs must have given me the interviews. Clearly interview questions will be tailored to your CV; you have a lot of relevant work experience so of course you'd be asked on that.

Yeah sorry, was just about to revise what I said as I did misread what you were originally saying.
Original post by Noble.
Yeah sorry, was just about to revise what I said as I did misread what you were originally saying.

No problem. :smile:
Original post by yl95
Only if you get really good grades I'd bother with taking a year out and UCL but UCL isn't good for Engineering anyway even though that has nothing to do with IB chances.

UCLs ranking for engineering is what originally put me off applying there however I'm now thinking that with a strong set of Alevels and a Masters from there I'd be fine to do engineering either way? I guess I just really want to keep my options open.
Original post by Jbird1
UCLs ranking for engineering is what originally put me off applying there however I'm now thinking that with a strong set of Alevels and a Masters from there I'd be fine to do engineering either way? I guess I just really want to keep my options open.

Have you not considered Imperial?
Original post by yl95
Have you not considered Imperial?

Yeh I applied and got an interview but it didn't go so well...
But maybe if I achieved my predictions this summer I'd stand a better chance of getting in because I would already have the grades? Is it then an unconditional offer?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jbird1
Yeh I applied and got an interview but it didn't go so well...
But maybe if I achieved my predictions this summer I'd stand a better chance of getting in because I would already have the grades? Is it then an unconditional offer?

Yeah it would be an unconditional offer if they liked you the second time round.
AABC in maths economics chemistry further maths respectively at AS
Predicted A*AB in maths econ chemistry A2 offers from southampton andsheffield for economics and 5A*s at GCSE ?
Original post by youreanutter
Predicted A*AB in maths econ chemistry A2 offers from southampton andsheffield for economics and 5A*s at GCSE ?

Would be very difficult but it's doable
Original post by Daniel9998
Would be very difficult but it's doable

howcomes what do u need
Original post by youreanutter

Will be quite tough not having the target/semi-target pull, but it's very much possible. My friends at Shefs has landed a few SWs, a couple older people have landed Summers etc. Albeit, these guys had insight days, solid extra curriculars, work experience and are just super personable people with a real passion for finance. So unless you fall into that category, applying for FO won't yield a good result...

Back office, big4, middle office are possible for more 'average' applicants from non-targets. Or you could smash your exams, take a year out to build up work experience/save money/hone ECs whilst reapplying to target/semi-target unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Will be quite tough not having the target/semi-target pull, but it's very much possible. My friends at Shefs has landed a few SWs, a couple older people have landed Summers etc. Albeit, these guys had insight days, solid extra curriculars, work experience and are just super personable people with a real passion for finance. So unless you fall into that category, applying for FO won't yield a good result...

Back office, big4, middle office are possible for more 'average' applicants from non-targets. Or you could smash your exams, take a year out to build up work experience/save money/hone ECs whilst reapplying to target/semi-target unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey again negative Nelly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
No problem. :smile:

Are you going to be at Citi this summer, doing their S&T programme?
Original post by Noble.
Are you going to be at Citi this summer, doing their S&T programme?

Yes? Haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending