The Student Room Group

M1 jan 2008

IMG_0238.jpg
Hey.
For Part 6 (iii). Im not sure how i meant to do the question such that i can "justify my answer fully". Whats the reason for this wording?
thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing you have to show that the horizontal component of the force is bigger than Fmax
And so justify how that makes it move
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SamuelN98
IMG_0238.jpg
Hey.
For Part 6 (iii). Im not sure how i meant to do the question such that i can "justify my answer fully". Whats the reason for this wording?
thanks

If the horizontal component is less than μR\mu R then friction will be enough to oppose motion i.e. the friction will be equal to the force.

If the force is μR\geq \mu R then friction will have reached it's limit and so the frictional force will be equal to μR\mu R.
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate I know how to do it lol
The OP doesn't
Reply 4
Original post by Sharaf371

The OP doesn't

Are you sure?

I'm guessing you have to show that the horizontal component of the force is bigger than Fmax

It's not bigger... it's smaller.

And so justify how that makes it move

It doesn't move, that's the whole point.

We tend to be taught F=μRF = \mu R in mechanics - but the actual expression or formula is FμRF \leq \mu R.
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP doesn't

Sorry - quoted the wrong person!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Zacken
Are you sure?

It's not bigger... it's smaller.

It doesn't move, that's the whole point.

We tend to be taught F=μRF = \mu R in mechanics - but the actual expression or formula is FμRF \leq \mu R.

I haven't done the question so I was "guessing". Obviously if I did do it then I'd find if it was bigger or smaller. And so I would know it moves or not
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest