The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Impossible to meet LSE Master's condition

Hello everyone, hope everyone's well. I'm currently in my 1st year of a master's in France. Here Master's degrees are 2 years, but each year is kinda separate (called M1 and M2). I say separate because one can do their M1 in one university and go do an M2 in another university. If you do just the M1, you get 60 ECTS and transcripts, but no "diploma".

I applied to LSE for an MSc and got a conditional offer, the first condition is for an IELTS over 7 (which I met) and the other one is "You must obtain your Master's degree". This is impossible to meet, as I can pass the first year of my master's degree (M1), but I can't do both years (M1 & M2) in one year. As offers are only for the year applied of 2023-2024, it clearly isn't them telling me to come back the year after I finished both years.

Furthermore, I received a full funding scholarship last week for the program from the department itself, which makes me 100% sure of attending. But I'm scared I can't meet the requirement. Did they just make a mistake and meant I should just pass my year, or?
Original post by redaxcx
Hello everyone, hope everyone's well. I'm currently in my 1st year of a master's in France. Here Master's degrees are 2 years, but each year is kinda separate (called M1 and M2). I say separate because one can do their M1 in one university and go do an M2 in another university. If you do just the M1, you get 60 ECTS and transcripts, but no "diploma".

I applied to LSE for an MSc and got a conditional offer, the first condition is for an IELTS over 7 (which I met) and the other one is "You must obtain your Master's degree". This is impossible to meet, as I can pass the first year of my master's degree (M1), but I can't do both years (M1 & M2) in one year. As offers are only for the year applied of 2023-2024, it clearly isn't them telling me to come back the year after I finished both years.

Furthermore, I received a full funding scholarship last week for the program from the department itself, which makes me 100% sure of attending. But I'm scared I can't meet the requirement. Did they just make a mistake and meant I should just pass my year, or?

Only LSE can answer this I'm afraid. They may have misread your dates and thought you'd have finished both years or study, or perhaps they just want you to complete the first year as they were accepting you based on your undergrad results.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by redaxcx

You need to contact LSE to ask , but it is not clear what you actually want - do you want to just do one year of your masters degree in France and then start at LSE, or complete your masters and delay your start at LSE by one year?

What was your intention when you applied to LSE?
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Only LSE can answer this I'm afraid. They may have misread your dates and thought you'd have finished both years or study, or perhaps they just want you to complete the first year as they were accepting you based on your undergrad results.

Yes I will be contacting them soon I guess. I was wondering about my chances of me sending my grades for this year and that fulfilling the requirement.
Original post by redaxcx
Yes I will be contacting them soon I guess. I was wondering about my chances of me sending my grades for this year and that fulfilling the requirement.

Impossible to say as it depends whether it was an error or just a bit of janky wording on their part. Anecdotally, I know that my uni accepts French students onto Masters courses straight from undergrad, so I am not sure why the require for completing your Masters is there. Maybe they just want to make sure your grades remain good?
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm
You need to contact LSE to ask , but it is not clear what you actually want - do you want to just do one year of your masters degree in France and then start at LSE, or complete your masters and delay your start at LSE by one year?

What was your intention when you applied to LSE?

My intention initially was to take a gap year at my French master's (legally possible and accepted by my school), go to the LSE master's and then come back and finish my French master's. My French master's is a computational methods master's and I wanted to get a "discipline" MSc in Comparative Politics. Thus having good training in research methods and an LSE political science one.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Impossible to say as it depends whether it was an error or just a bit of janky wording on their part. Anecdotally, I know that my uni accepts French students onto Masters courses straight from undergrad, so I am not sure why the require for completing your Masters is there. Maybe they just want to make sure your grades remain good?

Oh, they do as well I believe. My best guess is that my undergrad school is kinda meh, as well as my undergrad grades. But I'm at one of the best schools in the country for my master's and my grades are perfect. So maybe they thought ok we want him to prove that he's good for us.
Reply 7
Original post by redaxcx
My intention initially was to take a gap year at my French master's (legally possible and accepted by my school), go to the LSE master's and then come back and finish my French master's. My French master's is a computational methods master's and I wanted to get a "discipline" MSc in Comparative Politics. Thus having good training in research methods and an LSE political science one.

Makes sense. You need to ask LSE, but I suspect they will be fine with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending