The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
Yeah, we should have a limited number of places and first priority should go to people who were active last year, second to those who the people in the first Group on can vouch for, and last priority goes to randoms making up the numbers. JMO.

Agreed. Happy to go by that. Anyone who was in last year who doesn't post also fall into the second group on my opinion.
Original post by ..DT..
Agreed. Happy to go by that. Anyone who was in last year who doesn't post also fall into the second group on my opinion.

Sounds like a good plan.

In more up to date news, anyone reckon that anyone will want Bradford? Heard Broncos called them to chat...
Original post by Motorbiker
Sounds like a good plan.

In more up to date news, anyone reckon that anyone will want Bradford? Heard Broncos called them to chat...

I saw on reddit earlier that a broncs rep had said that they didn't feel like the eagles were really trying that hard to deal Bradford and wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.
Reply 2203
Well I love the Jags draft so so much already. I feel like Ramsey was #1 on their board. Thank the lord for Jerry Jones and his lunacy. Honestly, I think you have to consider that a RB is the next coming of Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith for one to be worth the #4 pick in 2016,
Man that Twitter video has absolutely tanked Tunsil's draft stock.

I'm pleased with Buckner for us.

Edit: This entire draft has been crazy so far. I wonder how many mock drafts have been screwed up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2205
Original post by MrDystopia
Man that Twitter video has absolutely tanked Tunsil's draft stock.

I'm pleased with Buckner for us.

Edit: This entire draft has been crazy so far. I wonder how many mock drafts have been screwed up.

Mine was! I am not winning Super Bowl 51 tickets because of my epic drafting skills :frown:
Original post by Wattsy
Well I love the Jags draft so so much already. I feel like Ramsey was #1 on their board. Thank the lord for Jerry Jones and his lunacy. Honestly, I think you have to consider that a RB is the next coming of Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith for one to be worth the #4 pick in 2016,

Just to be clear, the Cowboys were #5 in pass defense by yards, #16 in points allowed, and #31 in points scored last year. Why is Zeke a bad pick again?

In terms of taking him over defence anyway.
Got a free 4th for our man. Than Chicago and NY
Original post by Wattsy
Mine was! I am not winning Super Bowl 51 tickets because of my epic drafting skills :frown:

Only player I got right was Hargreaves to the Bucs, which worked out wrong because of the trade, and treadwell to the viks (oh and the 2 QBs at the top)
Reply 2209
Just to be clear, the Cowboys were #5 in pass defense by yards, #16 in points allowed, and #31 in points scored last year. Why is Zeke a bad pick again?

The Cowboys aren't so high up often. I think RB at #4 is a luxury pick and there were other players with that potential superstar tag at more important positions still on the board. The Cowboys were 22nd against the run? Draft Buckner or something!

Also I think we have to talk about Paxton Lynch to the Broncos. I think that was their best possible move and the trade up was required. I think Denver aren't going to be up to that much this year but if Lynch develops, they could be serious again in 2018.

I also checked my mock draft. I only got Doctson to the Redskins outside of the 2 QBs bang on. I got a few close too but 7 players who didn't even get drafted in the 1st is pretty tragic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by whw
Thats great thanks, I've only played 'proper' football so far lol but definitely think that this uni will be a great place to try this version out!

If you've got a willingness to learn, and to take a hit sure. Uni's a good way into american football.

Because, of three of your starting DEs from last season, one is rightly out of the league, and the other two are done for PEDs. Also, the best three defensive players (Jack, Ramsey and Buckner) were all on the board. It's not neccessarily the player you get in the first, it's who you don't get in the first and have to get a lesser talent in the second. Too early to really grade it one way or another, because we don't know who the cowboys are going to pick up next. Zeke and Bullard would be a great combo too.

In terms of fit, the Cowboys already have Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden. Solid 1-2 punch. Ezekiel Elliot, while he's a good three-down guy (can pass block real nice, show vision and cutback awareness and has good hands) is not considered to be as good a running back coming out of college as Todd Gurley. It's always going to be compared. That said Zeke, was still one of the Magic7 Elite prospects in this draft, so I can understand it. Worth pointing out that if RB was a need, they could have had Devontae Booker at the top of the second. Is Booker and Buckner or Booker and Ramsey a better combo than Zeke and Bullard or Zeke and Ogbah? Going to be fun to watch out.
Original post by Wattsy
The Cowboys aren't so high up often. I think RB at #4 is a luxury pick and there were other players with that potential superstar tag at more important positions still on the board. The Cowboys were 22nd against the run? Draft Buckner or something!

Also I think we have to talk about Paxton Lynch to the Broncos. I think that was their best possible move and the trade up was required. I think Denver aren't going to be up to that much this year but if Lynch develops, they could be serious again in 2018.

I also checked my mock draft. I only got Doctson to the Redskins outside of the 2 QBs bang on. I got a few close too but 7 players who didn't even get drafted in the 1st is pretty tragic.

I had the Broncos trading up to 27, giving up a third round pick and getting a fourth rounder from Green Bay for Connor Cook. I liked Connor Cook more than I did Paxton Lynch...I guess because I was invested in him as a pick, but also footwork, leadership and ability to do it all under center...all while doing it against a higher level of competition.

I didn't think Paxton Lynch, while he has higher upside, was going to be in play either, but at 26, it's a good pick. He's got a heck of an arm. He did his pro day under center a lot, and should be the starter week 1. He has to win it, of course, but he has to be in play at the same time.

He helps the Kubiak offense run as intended. That's fine by me. His arm strength turns Sanders, Latimer and DT into legitimate vertical targets. Kubiak's a former QB who should help sort out his footwork, and get him through the progressions quicker. Bootlegs and designed roll outs should help him a lot with some half-field reads as he develops, but he'll need to develop as a pocket passer who can scramble rather than being run first. One thing, he'll need that arm strength to drive it through the cold and snow in Denver.
Love that first round pick by the Pats.

Oh wait
Reply 2214
Who's in for Round 2? I'll probably be posting ramblings in my usual style. Would like a pass rusher today. If Jack is there and the knee isn't a complete write off that's also going to be tempting.
Jack's knee is not a complete write off, it's just a rare type of surgery that hasn't been tested in the NFL really. No doctors want to vouch for it and no GMs want to overdraft it because they could end up looking really stupid. He could also play at the highest level for 10+ years. If I'm a Cleveland personnel guy I'm taking him with 9:59 on the clock and starting up a conga line around the war room. They have so many picks that they can hedge the high risk vs high reward.
Reply 2216
I think the Browns probably trade it because they're aware the cupboard is bare. However, I want them to pull the trigger if no microfracture surgery is on the cards because they need quality as well as the quantity and I think they did enough stacking yesterday.
Surprised that Jaylon Smith has come off before Jack. Smith's injury/prognosis sounded a lot worse.
Not surprised to see people hugging each other in the Jags' war room lol
Reply 2219
I am HYPED! If these two pan out this draft is going to be historic for the Jaguars. Edge though... I'm still a bit scared I won't lie. There are some serious edge players who are unlikely to survive until the 3rd round. As of right now Dante Fowler needs to ball out. Edge and Center or Guard are the holes which need filling now. I don't like Linder to center so a center would work better for me.

The Jets are such a circus! Hackenberg now? What? Why? How? He misses open guys all of the damn time.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest