The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpeg

Why does the equation here have to involve OH- ions??

The CO2 that is bubbled reacts with the water, H2O, that is on the left of the equilibrium equation, to form carbonic acid, H2CO3,

which dissociates to form H+ and HCO3-,

the H+ reacts with OH- on the right of the equilibrium equation, to form H2O,

So the position of equilibrium shifts to the right to replace the OH-,

sorry if this was already answered or didn't make sense
Original post by mechanism
Can't polyamides be made from a carboxylic acid and an amine? Whereas polypeptides are made from lots of amino acids specifically, not lots of carboxylic acids and amines.

Yep :smile:
2015 f321 f322 papers anyone ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please explain how to construct the redox equation June 2014 Q8? Strugglingggggg
Reply 184
Original post by Kamara7
Yep :smile:

yes but u can also make amide bonds with amino acids according to the book thats why im confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start from the left to get the more 'important' peaks, and explain the splitting pattern of each (e.g. quartet=3 hydrogens on adjacent carbon) and try to link to hydrogen environment using the data sheet. You'll get quite a few marks from this even if you can't get the structure :smile:
Original post by ranz
yes but u can also make amide bonds with amino acids according to the book thats why im confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

an amide link is just the bond between an amine group, -NH2, and the carboxylic acid -COOH. So both polypeptides and polyamides have amide links, they are just formed in different ways.
Reply 187
an amide link is just the bond between an amine group, -NH2, and the carboxylic acid -COOH. So both polypeptides and polyamides have amide links, they are just formed in different ways.

but theyre both formed by condesation reaction isnt it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are unsure about the group, try writing all the information about every other peak, and then see what is remaining. It's a process of elimination in some way. See if that works out for you :smile:
Hello peeps,
In this question, why do I have to times the [OH-] by two??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zirak46
Hello peeps,
In this question, why do I have to times the [OH-] by two??

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are two moles of OH- dissociated per mole of Ca(OH)2

Ca(OH)2 ---> Ca^2+ + 2OH-
Original post by ReeceM1
There are two moles of OH- dissociated per mole of Ca(OH)2

Ca(OH)2 ---> Ca^2+ + 2OH-

Whaaaaat, i never knew that was a rule.

Is that the same if its h2so4? Meaning theres two moles of H?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zirak46
Whaaaaat, i never knew that was a rule.

Is that the same if its h2so4? Meaning theres two moles of H?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It will always tell you in the question how many moles of H+ will dissociate in H2SO4,
But normally only 1 H+ does and with our spec I've only ever seen pH questions with monobasic acids.
In reality the first proton dissociates but the HSO4^- that remains actually acts as a weak acid:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ReeceM1
It will always tell you in the question how many moles of H+ will dissociate in H2SO4,
But normally only 1 H+ does and with our spec I've only ever seen pH questions with monobasic acids.
In reality the first proton dissociates but the HSO4^- that remains actually acts as a weak acid:

Ahhh nice but if theres ever Mg (OH)2 then itll be 2 moles of OH- ions?
Original post by zirak46
Ahhh nice but if theres ever Mg (OH)2 then itll be 2 moles of OH- ions?

Yepp
Can someone please explain how to construct the redox equation June 2014 Q8? Strugglingggggg

Have you managed this now?
Original post by ranz
but theyre both formed by condesation reaction isnt it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, H2O is released
Original post by TeachChemistry
Have you managed this now?

Yes, thank you. Was not on my game yesterday haha.
I struggle with it myself, but you would usually get some kind of an incling, e.g. a molecular formula (which may indicate no nitrogens present or a benzene ring at 7ppm)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending