The Student Room Group

PhD advice

Hi all.
Soon I will finish my Msc in theoretical Physics and next year I am going to start my PhD in physics of complex systems.

I have been admitted to two programms:
- Applied Math at Warwick, dep of Mathematics (1 y Msc+ 3 y PhD)
- Financial Computing and Analytics at UCL, dep of Computer Science (1y MRes + 3 y PhD)

In both programmes I will work on a interesting topics related to complex systems applied to finance and real word systems in general and in both programme I will be able to work with very good professors.

What I would like to know is wich of the two uni will give me more shots with (and is most regarded by) IB banks, hedge funds or consultancy firms .

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the two. I reckon you would have particularly high chances for a quant role in IB/HF/PE.
Original post by Tini123
Hi all.
Soon I will finish my Msc in theoretical Physics and next year I am going to start my PhD in physics of complex systems.

I have been admitted to two programms:
- Applied Math at Warwick, dep of Mathematics (1 y Msc+ 3 y PhD)
- Financial Computing and Analytics at UCL, dep of Computer Science (1y MRes + 3 y PhD)

In both programmes I will work on a interesting topics related to complex systems applied to finance and real word systems in general and in both programme I will be able to work with very good professors.

What I would like to know is wich of the two uni will give me more shots with (and is most regarded by) IB banks, hedge funds or consultancy firms .

Thanks

Really doesn't matter mate, we're talking about sinking the next 4+ years of your life into a degree programme. You better be choosing one because you like the subject matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Really doesn't matter mate, we're talking about sinking the next 4+ years of your life into a degree programme. You better be choosing one because you like the subject matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, in fact I was also taken at Imperial but in a programme I don't particularly feel comfortable in and so I discarded it.

This two projects are really the same to me. I still don't know if I am going to leave the University world in my career.

I was just asking in order to make a choice with as much informations I can gather around.
Reply 4
UCL obviously.
Original post by Thomb
UCL obviously.

How in any way is it obvious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
How in any way is it obvious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just from the title.
Reply 7
Original post by Thomb
Just from the title.

I disagree. Pretty much the only employment advantage to doing a PhD (of which there are near enough zero advantages in general) in finance would be if the OP wanted to become a Strat/Quant, and you'll find most teams have PhDs in maths/physics and so, from a title perspective, having a PhD in applied maths would most likely be better - even if both PhD programmes are practically identical.
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
I disagree. Pretty much the only employment advantage to doing a PhD (of which there are near enough zero advantages in general) in finance would be if the OP wanted to become a Strat/Quant, and you'll find most teams have PhDs in maths/physics and so, from a title perspective, having a PhD in applied maths would most likely be better - even if both PhD programmes are practically identical.

As far as I know, a PhD, is a must if someone wants to become a Quant (and so enter in IB or HF with a non economic degree)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tini123
As far as I know, a PhD, is a must if someone wants to become a Quant (and so enter in IB or HF with a non economic degree)

It's pretty much a must now-a-days, just because so many people do PhDs, but you'll find senior Quants that didn't do PhDs, and some exceptional undergrads manage to become (proper) Quants without a PhD, but most end up in Strat roles (although even a slight majority of Strats hired now have PhDs as well).
Reply 10
[QUOTE=Noble.;65077149having a PhD in applied maths would most likely be better - even if both PhD programmes are practically identical

Do you think that a CS PhD in Financial Computing and Analytics is less considered than a PhD in App Math even if I got a Msc in theoretical physics?

I mean in the dep there are more thoretical phycisits and mathematiscians than actual CS experts and also what I will do is in between the two areas not just programming stuff .
Reply 11
Original post by Tini123
Do you think that a CS PhD in Financial Computing and Analytics is less considered than a PhD in App Math even if I got a Msc in theoretical physics?

I mean in the dep there are more thoretical phycisits and mathematiscians than actual CS experts and also what I will do is in between the two areas not just programming stuff .

I said from a title perspective, not passing any judgement on the content of either programme. HR (or even a Quant) will look at 'Applied Maths' and instantly know it's suitable, the same can't really be said for 'Financial Computing and Analytics' - the title is just more ambiguous and could entail a wide variety of things. I don't actually think it'll make much difference (and it shouldn't influence your decision) but I was just countering the other poster saying you should do the Financial Computing course just because of the title.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending