The Student Room Group

PhD interview is over.

On reflection I'd like to believe it was successful. I was nervous, there was no denying the shaking hands behind the screen.

After, the panel said they had no questions...but then asked me a couple quickly after that comment.

The interview flew by as I appeared to answer all their questions. When I asked my questions they were very pleased and offered a lot of excellent advice.

Overall it felt very positive, no awkward silence or stops. They seemed happy with my responses and one mentioned I'd be a good fit and clearly have the teaching experience.

Now it's a waiting game. Fingers crossed.

Have other people's interviews been similar?
Good luck! BTW how does a PhD interview normally go? I'm hoping to pursue one after I do my masters
Reply 2
Original post by Joshwoods01
Good luck! BTW how does a PhD interview normally go? I'm hoping to pursue one after I do my masters

Thanks!! see below some tips that can help you with a PhD.

1. Try to gain teaching experience; reach out to your department and ask if there is any opportunity for an associate lecture role.
2. Try again research experience such as assistant work; again reach out to your department and ask if you know of any research you can assist on.
3. Also, when writing a proposal reach out to staff that could be on your supervisory team; this is important and in some cases they can help you drafting up your proposal .

The reason I've said the above is because in PhD interviews they asked about teaching and research experience. Also, having a solid research proposal with a potential supervisory team is important as it means you have support behind your proposal already.

For my PhD interview I had to deliver a 5 minute presentation on my proposal (the aims, background, methodology, ethics, it's relevance and contributions)

They will then ask questions about the proposal and then some general questions. I was asked the following.

What do I think a PhD is?
Why did I chose this PhD?
What is my teaching experience and engagement with students?
What is my research experience?
Do I have any training needs?

Last piece of advice; ask them questions too, this shows willingness and that you have thought about the process.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Original post by Orwell84
On reflection I'd like to believe it was successful. I was nervous, there was no denying the shaking hands behind the screen.

After, the panel said they had no questions...but then asked me a couple quickly after that comment.

The interview flew by as I appeared to answer all their questions. When I asked my questions they were very pleased and offered a lot of excellent advice.

Overall it felt very positive, no awkward silence or stops. They seemed happy with my responses and one mentioned I'd be a good fit and clearly have the teaching experience.

I never had a formal interview so can't really share experiences. Just wanted to pop into the comments to say well done! That all sounds very positive - and it sounds like they had some helpful advice for you too. Will keep fingers crossed for you to secure your place!

Amy Louise :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
I never had a formal interview so can't really share experiences. Just wanted to pop into the comments to say well done! That all sounds very positive - and it sounds like they had some helpful advice for you too. Will keep fingers crossed for you to secure your place!

Amy Louise :smile:

Thank you for the advice over that past 2 weeks! It's been very helpful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Orwell84

did you get offered the place? how is it going if so?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending