The Student Room Group

MSc Statistics -- LSE with scholarship vs Imperial

Hi all, if given 2 options for MSc Statistics, which one is better? I am an international student so fees are higher than UK students.
1) LSE with 10k GBP scholarship (£27,480 - £10,000 = £17,480)
2) Imperial with no scholarship (£34,350)

Imperial is more well-known for the mathematical programmes and MSc Statistics is under the Mathematics department, while LSE is more well-known for its econ programmes and traditional finance career.

Both has its merits and I can't choose between the two.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Bump to get some advice
Original post by eraserpencil
Hi all, if given 2 options for MSc Statistics, which one is better? I am an international student so fees are higher than UK students.
1) LSE with 10k GBP scholarship (£27,480 - £10,000 = £17,480)
2) Imperial with no scholarship (£34,350)

Imperial is more well-known for the mathematical programmes and MSc Statistics is under the Mathematics department, while LSE is more well-known for its econ programmes and traditional finance career.

Both has its merits and I can't choose between the two.

Generally I'd be inclined to recommend the one with the scholarship, although may depend a bit on your goals for this degree? Are you planning to go onto a PhD? Or into work? If work, which sector?

I'd imagine generally if you're just getting it then planning to go into work then for most if not all sectors either is equally good and so just pick the cheaper one. If going onto a PhD then you might need to look more closely at module offerings at each, how well they would prepare you for PhD projects in the specific area of research you want to do work on, and also what research people in the department at each uni are doing (i.e. who might be a potential PhD supervisor for you if you stayed!).

Although even then, unless there is something completely unrepresented at one uni which also doesn't have anything that even comes close to preparing you to do work on that area, and that is definitely what you want to pursue a PhD in, it's probably still more pragmatic to go with the one with the scholarship. Also if it's a competitively awarded merit based scholarship that might also be a positive?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Generally I'd be inclined to recommend the one with the scholarship, although may depend a bit on your goals for this degree? Are you planning to go onto a PhD? Or into work? If work, which sector?

I'd imagine generally if you're just getting it then planning to go into work then for most if not all sectors either is equally good and so just pick the cheaper one. If going onto a PhD then you might need to look more closely at module offerings at each, how well they would prepare you for PhD projects in the specific area of research you want to do work on, and also what research people in the department at each uni are doing (i.e. who might be a potential PhD supervisor for you if you stayed!).

Although even then, unless there is something completely unrepresented at one uni which also doesn't have anything that even comes close to preparing you to do work on that area, and that is definitely what you want to pursue a PhD in, it's probably still more pragmatic to go with the one with the scholarship. Also if it's a competitively awarded merit based scholarship that might also be a positive?

I am hoping to get into quant and I have heard that it is Imperial will be a better option for quant, although Statistics may not be as good as say Financial Mathematics. I have no interest in PhD though.
Original post by eraserpencil
I am hoping to get into quant and I have heard that it is Imperial will be a better option for quant, although Statistics may not be as good as say Financial Mathematics. I have no interest in PhD though.

My understanding is the it's extremely unusual to go into quant finance with just a masters. So you may want to consider the prospect of of a PhD!

I'd probably suggest the scholarship option in any event then while you explore your options, personally :smile:
LSE for me, as you will receive the scholarship. I heard the phd program there is also good. My current statistics professor did his MSc and Phd at LSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending