The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OneandOnly123
Do u guys think the real papers will be as hard as the specimen papers because if they are then i have flopped it

I doubt it but just expect them to be as hard so you'll be more prepared.
Original post by OneandOnly123
Do u guys think the real papers will be as hard as the specimen papers because if they are then i have flopped it

I asked my teacher and he said that he really didn't know. The real papers may be as hard as this. Chemistry was my favourite subject and it's just taken a toll on me now :afraid:
If anyone is free to help, could they possibly help me with the last question from the specimen, paper 1.

Which of the following contains the most chloride ions?
A 10cm3 of 3.30X10^-2 moldm^-3 aluminium chloride solution
B 20cm3 of 5.00X10^-2 moldm^-3 calcium chloride solution
C 30cm3 of 3.30X10^-2 moldm^-3 hydrochloric acid
D 40cm3 of 2.50X10^-2 moldm^-3 sodium chloride solution
A calcium ion is Ca2+ and nitrate ions is NO3- so you need two nitrate ions to balance the calcium ion
I actually thought the specimen papers weren't too bad (out of 2 specimen papers and 2 Teachers' only specimen materials only one of the Teachers' specimen materials was actually hard) the specimen papers were okay
Reply 145
Original post by angellll
If anyone is free to help, could they possibly help me with the last question from the specimen, paper 1.

Which of the following contains the most chloride ions?
A 10cm3 of 3.30X10^-2 moldm^-3 aluminium chloride solution
B 20cm3 of 5.00X10^-2 moldm^-3 calcium chloride solution
C 30cm3 of 3.30X10^-2 moldm^-3 hydrochloric acid
D 40cm3 of 2.50X10^-2 moldm^-3 sodium chloride solution

I'm not sure if my method was correct but I remember getting the answer correct:
You would find the moles of each thing. But for Aluminium chloride you'd have to multiply your answer by 3 because it's AlCl3, and for Calcium chloride you'd have to multiply by 2 as it is CaCl2.
(That was a lot of work for a multiple choice question though :/)
Original post by haes
I'm not sure if my method was correct but I remember getting the answer correct:
You would find the moles of each thing. But for Aluminium chloride you'd have to multiply your answer by 3 because it's AlCl3, and for Calcium chloride you'd have to multiply by 2 as it is CaCl2.
(That was a lot of work for a multiple choice question though :/)

Thank you very much :smile: How did you find the paper?
Reply 147
Original post by angellll
Thank you very much :smile: How did you find the paper?

Is this the specimen paper that's not available online? Because if it's that one then I found it very difficult!! I especially didn't like the long answer questions. The second specimen was slightly better than the first but overall it was not a nice and I will pray hard that our actual paper isn't like that haha
Is anyone free to give a quick reminder of which types of reactions we need to know?
For example, metal + base/ acid reactions
We learnt them during GCSEs but I've completely forgotten them now
Original post by haes
Is this the specimen paper that's not available online? Because if it's that one then I found it very difficult!! I especially didn't like the long answer questions. The second specimen was slightly better than the first but overall it was not a nice and I will pray hard that our actual paper isn't like that haha

Okay phew :smile: Thought I was the only one
Will the specimens be as hard as the real
I don't know where to find this specimen paper. Please can someone link me? :smile: This would be helpful
Original post by Superwoman212
I don't know where to find this specimen paper. Please can someone link me? :smile: This would be helpful

type scienceskool into google
Original post by medicine71012
type scienceskool into google

Thank you :smile:
What do we actually need to know for 'relevant practical skills'

I know we need to know how to carry out the practicals but that's about it
If there's a question asking us to write an equation for the standard enthalpy of formation of a phosphorous containing compound, would you write phosphorous as P or P4? Similarly with sulfur - would you write S or S8?
Original post by emilysmith268
If there's a question asking us to write an equation for the standard enthalpy of formation of a phosphorous containing compound, would you write phosphorous as P or P4? Similarly with sulfur - would you write S or S8?

The mark scheme accepts both whenever I see those elements
Original post by haes

Do you think the specimens will be as hard as the real ones, If so I think grade boundaries may be lower than previous years
Original post by medicine71012
Do you think the specimens will be as hard as the real ones, If so I think grade boundaries may be lower than previous years

Won't put my money on that. They will probably slightly lower them but not significantly. It all depends if they decide to lower the proportion of A grades, in which case they won't go down by as much. If they give in to the pressure by the government to lower A grades, then those people who are at the low A side with the old spec will be affected the most

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending