The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4nonymous
So you know there is 0.5 of X and Y and at the start there is 0 moles of Z
At equilibrium Z=0.2 moles
So that means X=0.5-0.2
And Y=0.5-(2*0.2) because Y is two moles so times by 2

Thanks, You could have just kept that other method you posted, we weren't taught that. Also, What is the formula of calcium nitrate(V)? . From this I understood that calcium has a charge of 5+ and NO3 should have a charge of -1 but non of the options give a valid equation
Who's ready for tomorrow? I'm so nervous. Any idea on the topics?
Original post by Ash Kay
Who's ready for tomorrow? I'm so nervous. Any idea on the topics?

Loads of maths. All miles. E/Z stuff. All the alcohol/alkane/alkenes experiment stuff. IR radiation it is All new spec stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by Saaranjan
Thanks, You could have just kept that other method you posted, we weren't taught that. Also, What is the formula of calcium nitrate(V)? . From this I understood that calcium has a charge of 5+ and NO3 should have a charge of -1 but non of the options give a valid equation

The formula is Ca(NO3)2
Ca is +2
The (V) suggests the Nitrogen in Nitrate is +5 so therefore adds up to +10
The O is -2 x 3 = -6 x 2 = -12
Thus it has no overall charge
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Clintbarton
Did bio today. So much easier than specimen. We gonna be okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh was kinda straightforward really hopefully same for chemistry lmao
Yeah. Thanks for that. I forgot some of those topics. Also remember Kc and pV=nRT

I hope it's alright. Hate the fact that the papers are synoptic

Original post by Clintbarton
Loads of maths. All miles. E/Z stuff. All the alcohol/alkane/alkenes experiment stuff. IR radiation it is All new spec stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
We don't need to know about the old models of the atom do we? With Rutherford and Thompson
Reply 207
Does anyone have the 2015 F321 and F322 papers?
I made a revision video for mechanisms for this new syllabus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUE6tj1-_z4
Original post by Saaranjan

Yh my other method wasn't posting properly but thats what I normally use.

Calcium has 2+ charge
N in NO3 has a 5+ charge
O is 2- So -2*3=6
Now you need to balance it to give an overall charge of 0

So since ca is 2+
And NO3 give -1 that means you need two NO3 to get you to 0
so its Ca(NO3)2
Original post by SGHD26716
We don't need to know about the old models of the atom do we? With Rutherford and Thompson

Its in the revision guide but I haven't revised it too much tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any links or files, with exam questions by topic?
Reply 212
Yes quite a lot of people found it easy. I found it ok I messed up a few but Im not that bothered. I expect there to be high grade boundaries for it to be honest.

I don't think a lot of people find it easy. Vast majority said it was hard or okay.
Original post by oni176
I don't think a lot of people find it easy. Vast majority said it was hard or okay.

Most people I've spoken too said it was easy. It was definitely easier than the specimen paper
Original post by SGHD26716

I hope not, cause I've done absolutely no revision whatsoever on that😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
IR radiation was also on the old spec, I did it last year. The new areas are: rates from graphs, cahn-ingold, markownikoffs product rules, synthetic routes (knowing reagents and conditions, testing for ions (qualitative analysis), equilibrium constant, M+1 peak etc..
Reply 217
Most people I've spoken too said it was easy. It was definitely easier than the specimen paper

I agree that it was easier than the specimen, and the multiple choice questions were not too challenging in comparison to the practice papers. However, as this is a new specification, the A grade will roughly be 73-75%. The old specification does not even award an A as 80%.
Original post by oni176
I agree that it was easier than the specimen, and the multiple choice questions were not too challenging in comparison to the practice papers. However, as this is a new specification, the A grade will roughly be 73-75%. The old specification does not even award an A as 80%.

That seems like a reasonable prediction.
That is true but the thing is that those past papers had more worded questions (which sounds reasonable as to why their boundaries were at around 70%) compared to the paper we did which had MCQs and mainly 2-3 markers, so it could be that the grade boundaries may not be as low as we'd expect :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending