The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mydearestpotato
Like this, idk if that's Born-Haber

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it a mistake btw that it has Energy Change of formation? Might be an r actually, but I think I've read it as an f in the book before
Did You Do The Old Spec? Maybe Thats Why Your One Says 60

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 442
What was the molecule with no permanent dipole.
I put trans 2,3 dichloro but-2-ene (think it was B)
Original post by BTTaz
What was the molecule with no permanent dipole.
I put trans 2,3 dichloro but-2-ene (think it was B)

It gave E/Z options but yeah that would be E-2,3-dichlorobut-2-ene
Original post by Clintbarton
Was it two marks or one mark? You usually get a mark if you wrote the correct equation. :smile:

Could be worse - I forgot to x100!!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Damn

Spoiler

Sometimes they allocate marks for both ways, as you added 50cm^3 to heat something up which happened to also be 50. it depends on the mark scheme. I did another question like this where they added magnesium to the solution and i did the mass of both added together but it also awarded marks for using the solution only
Original post by iamDev
So pissed with myself. I clearly didnt read the question. I wrote CrCl3H12O6 and didnt realise is was water of crystalisation

Same :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 447
Original post by KevinClyde
What did people get for (delta)H of reaction? I think I got 58.5 or something like that. Worked out q=4000(odd)J and divided by the mol of the substance you were provided with.

Yeah I got that too, -58.5..
Reply 448
My predictions for Depth:

- Drawing reaction mechanisms (didn't come up on breadth that much other than some of the basic questions on Multiple Choice where a question on identifying their names and the propagation step for free-radical substitution came up)

-Isomers

-Drawing Boltzmann distribution graphs and collision theory

- Ionic, covalent and metallic bonding structures

- Combustion of alcohols/alkenes + drawing equations

-Practical investigations - Titration is the famous one

-Percentage yield/ applying basic mole questions

- Polymers (why it is sustainable, drawing repeat units etc)

-Ozone depletion

-Trend in Group 2 elements, uses etc.

-Definition questions + average bond enthalpy calculations.

I have a feeling that one of the 6 marker is going to be based on one of the reaction mechanisms for some reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nikosunway
Total marks : 70.

80% out of total : 70* 0.8=56. Any questions?

Hey Dude my fault for the confusion.
Two OCR chemistry exams this morning.

We talking at cross purposes. 80% is normally threshold but if there are 60 or 70 marks available that makes a difference :smile:

My fault for the confusion.
Reply 450
Although the paper seemed alright with a couple of questions that requires thought and quite challenging, I think the grade boundaries will be:

My prediction:
A - 54
B - 47
C - 40
D - 33
E - 27

The paper wasn't too difficult apart from the last question, perhaps. However, this is a new specification so examiners will take that factor into account. Some questions also took a long period of time to complete as well, so some students may not have probably had sufficient time to check their answers at the end.
Did anyone divide 4.2 (grams of copper in the coin) by 63.5 (Ar of Cu in the periodic table) or by the value you obtained in the first part (63.166) get the mol of copper? The correct one should be by 63.166, if i did it by 63.5 would i get any marks?
What was the mole value in the enthalpy change of reaction question?
Reply 453
Can anyone who can get hold of todays new as chemistry paper please forward it to me so i can see the way how the questions are being asked in this new spec as i am having a mock which will determine my predicted grade for uni. Many thanks.
Reply 454
What did people get for Question 3 on multiple choice that asked you the volume of the gas or whatever it was? I got 120cm3, can't remember which option it was.
Reply 455
Can anyone remember the chemicals in the enthalpy change question
Reply 456
Original post by oni176
What did people get for Question 3 on multiple choice that asked you the volume of the gas or whatever it was? I got 120cm3, can't remember which option it was.

I think I got 300cm3
Original post by 11234
Can anyone remember the chemicals in the enthalpy change question

2KI and Something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11234
I think I got 300cm3

Original post by oni176

I got 300cm^3, the volumes are independent of the gases' molecular formula (for the n=v/24 approximation), so you essentially have 2.5 moles of gas. v=24000/2.5 = 300cm^3
Reply 459
Original post by h3rmit
I got 300cm^3, the volumes are independent of the gases' molecular formula (for the n=v/24 approximation), so you essentially have 2.5 moles of gas. v=24000/2.5 = 300cm^3

Can you remember the chemicals in the enthalpy question or any details

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending