The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aschemist
What does the specification mean by this:

The benefits for sustainability of processing waste polymers by: (i) combustion for energy production (ii) use as an organic feedstock for the production of plastics and other organic chemicals (iii) removal of toxic waste products, e.g. removal of HCl formed during disposal by combustion of halogenated plastics (e.g. PVC). HSW9,10 Benefits of cheap oil-derived plastics counteracted by problems for environment of landfill; the move to re-using waste, improving use of resources.

How different processes can be sustainable/unsustainable. You need to be able to know the processes and how they work along with their overall sustainability compared to each other. In regards to plastics benefits and limitations of them being 'cheap' such as made from crude oil which is a finite resource and how waste can be processed and have second uses.
Predicting there will be questions on drawing mechanism(s) and a meaty question on the Ideal Gas Equation (pV=nRT)
Original post by asinghj
Anyone's got any tips for time management for the depth paper?

60-75 seconds per question? Try the sample and practice paper under timed conditions?
has anyone got the second set of specimen papers?
Reply 604
the grade boundaries for chemistry would be about 52/70 for an A
47/70 for a B. well that is what our school told us, because for the new spec papers, we have to learn everything for both papers whereas before it was split into two which was much easier
for biology people are saying it would be about 47/70 for an A. the thing is ocr needs to make people carry on with biology next year so grade boundaries would be lower 68% for an A. it was like that before with the old spec too which was easier so dont worry guys there is hope
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 605
Original post by Major Wilson
Predicting there will be questions on drawing mechanism(s) and a meaty question on the Ideal Gas Equation (pV=nRT)

mechanisms will be on there i hope but pv=nrt is unlikely

i would say the long answer questions would be on organic chem mainly so revise it more
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 606
Original post by asinghj
Anyone's got any tips for time management for the depth paper?

do the long answer qs first and then do the short answer questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 607
Original post by ineedA
I think i got 58-62 would 58 be an A?

Yeah. I think I got about the same around 60/70. hope the depth goes well too.
I love checking unofficial mark schemes on the student room cos i kind of know how well i did before results day :smile: :smile::smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 608
do u think unis will look at the ums as well as the grade.
Original post by 11...
Yeah. I think I got about the same around 60/70. hope the depth goes well too.
I love checking unofficial mark schemes on the student room cos i kind of know how well i did before results day :smile: :smile::smile:

not really, because we dont know how pedantic the marking will be yet
Has anyone got images for the Breadth in Chemistry Paper? I would really appreciate if someone could message them or upload them or something. Thanks :smile:
Reply 611
it is true tho. the mark scheme for the new spec is so specific :frown:. say a question is worth 6 marks there are only 6 bullet points in the mark schemes. but the old spec had a range of points that could be covered.
Reply 612
Original post by kevguy1999
Has anyone got images for the Breadth in Chemistry Paper? I would really appreciate if someone could message them or upload them or something. Thanks :smile:

Nobody has got a copy of the breadth, since it has to be used for mock exams next year. But i have no idea how there are proper unofficial mark schemes for maths. but arsey no longer writes them like the proper ones with the questions and answers :frown:
Reply 613
Original post by Danielle_16
has anyone got the second set of specimen papers?

Yes just let me have your email and i ll send it over to you.
Original post by 11...
the grade boundaries for chemistry would be about 52/70 for an A
47/70 for a B. well that is what our school told us, because for the new spec papers, we have to learn everything for both papers whereas before it was split into two which was much easier
for biology people are saying it would be about 47/70 for an A. the thing is ocr needs to make people carry on with biology next year so grade boundaries would be lower 68% for an A. it was like that before with the old spec too which was easier so dont worry guys there is hope

how sure r u about this
Original post by 11...
Nobody has got a copy of the breadth, since it has to be used for mock exams next year. But i have no idea how there are proper unofficial mark schemes for maths. but arsey no longer writes them like the proper ones with the questions and answers :frown:

There are answers to the breadth. The paper with answers were posted on twitter. Although some of the answers are wrong
Predictions guys?
So far I've gathered there'll be :
Mass spec and IR
Mechanisms
PV=nRT

___

any others?
Original post by alevelstudent217
Predictions guys?
So far I've gathered there'll be :
Mass spec and IR
Mechanisms
PV=nRT

___

any others?

Periodic trends (first IE, radius, mp and bp)
Bonding (London, pdpd and hydrogen bonds)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 11...

Teachers have access to paper...
But they won't post because OCR doesn't want them to
Oh and proper unofficial mark schemes are from teachers who have access to paper
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 619
Original post by asinghj
Periodic trends
Bonding (London, pdpd and hydrogen bonds)

safe to revise everything basically

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending