The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mbh16
is that for the one where you had to say what the functional group was of T and S was?

Yeah it was the one which talked about distilling and other one requiring reflux and h2so4

One of em was aldehyde other was carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile
For everyone clarifying over the mGo Q :

White ppt will work as in chemistry as ppt is also referred to a solid and mgo is a solid
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465578299.749199.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think white flame will be correct as that's when you react it with oxygen not h2o which is steam and the flame stuff is Chem 5 which we is not meant to be tested in Chem 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone seems to be very wrong about the magnesium observations.

It should have been brilliant white flame/flash & white smoke, this is basic chem2 knowledge also required for chem5.

As for the paper it was pretty standard
Original post by mgill17
I definitely got that propagation step, but I can't remember for the life of me if I put that termination....I hope I did:frown::frown:

Oh crap we had to write CHCl2CHCl2!
Original post by Studious_Student
I found that paper pretty disgusting tbh, I think I lost around 20-25 marks, is that around a B?

I think I lost that much too but found it nice, ffs.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I think I lost that much too but found it nice, ffs.

I made loads of silly mistakes too, hopefully I can pull off a B and redeem myself in Chem 4 and 5 because my Chem 1 retake went pretty well!
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
I don't think white flame will be correct as that's when you react it with oxygen not h2o which is steam and the flame stuff is Chem 5 which we is not meant to be tested in Chem 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wouldn't be white flame if it was water. But it was steam. Perhaps flash may be a better word but aqa will not credit this squeaky pop **** everyone is talking about
What did everyone write for the question that wanted to know why Titanium can't be extracted with Carbon?
Original post by Whitney997
What did everyone write for the question that wanted to know why Titanium can't be extracted with Carbon?

Titanium Carbide would be formed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465579016.831414.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lukesta23
It wouldn't be white flame if it was water. But it was steam. Perhaps flash may be a better word but aqa will not credit this squeaky pop **** everyone is talking about

The magnesium reacting with steam (H2O) is a standard reaction, but observations haven't been asked for before. I think I got the white flame, but a precipitate surely wouldn't form, because there's no solution... I just went with increase in temperature as the other, but I doubt they'd allow that as an observation...they usually want formations or colour observations, but I couldn't think of anything else.
Can someone make a list of the questions please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The EQ with group 7

2I-===) I2 + 2e-
H2SO4 + 8e- + 8H+ ===) H2S + 4h2O
Overall : 8HI + H2SO4 ===) 4I2 + H2S + 4H2O

Posted from TSR Mobile
The EQ with group 7

2I-===) I2 + 2e-

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think they will accept if you wrote 8H+ + 8I- ???
Guys can someone write a unofficial mark scheme?
The EQ with group 7

2I-===) I2 + 2e-

Posted from TSR Mobile

i thought we needed the 8H+ and the electrons ?
Original post by okopops

from what i know, electrons dont come up in an overall equation, when you add the two half equations they cancel out,
Original post by okopops

crap I don't think we needed the H+! I added that in too! but the electrons should have balanced and therefore they would have cancelled out
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lahigueraxxx
yeah we needed the H+, but the electrons should have balanced and therefore they would have cancelled out

Quick Reply

Latest