The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jerseyalevel
What parts of the theory side of NMR could come up as a question? (Just wondering which parts to revise)

TMS and the solvent CDCl3
Best to know the structure of TMS as well
Radiowaves, might want to know about the magnetic spin and why some elements can't be used in NMR
Original post by tcameron
Radiowaves, might want to know about the magnetic spin and why some elements can't be used in NMR

Great, thanks!
Original post by jerseyalevel
Great, thanks!

remember TMS is.. the standard for chemical shift measurements
Original post by itsConnor_
remember TMS is.. the standard for chemical shift measurements

You can also get away with saying 'for calibration' but I'd write both just in case the examiners decide to be mean this year
Reply 944
guys its a pm exam right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they asked to 'state a disadvantage of GC-MS other than that similar structures have very similar retention times', it's unknown compounds have no reference retention times for comparison (wording of specification)
Original post by ranz
guys its a pm exam right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes 13:00
Reply 947
Left all my revision until now. I have one day to revise for unit 4. Hopefully i can get at least a D -_-
Reply 948

why cant some elements be used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 949
Original post by ftsoft2
Left all my revision until now. I have one day to revise for unit 4. Hopefully i can get at least a D -_-

my tip learn reactions and their conditions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
why cant some elements be used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if it doesn't have (or have an isotope of) an odd number of nucleons
Original post by ranz
tips for nmr?
how do u appraoch it?

Annotate the spectrum that they give you! Think carefully about what the compound is e.g.
How many proton environments are there? - Integration of 6 = 2 x CH3
Is there a mess at 7ppm? - Benzene

I would recommend printing off every NMR question from our spec and just work through them. The only way i figured out NMR is by practice and experience!!
Original post by danthebox
Annotate the spectrum that they give you! Think carefully about what the compound is e.g.

I would recommend printing off every NMR question from our spec and just work through them. The only way i figured out NMR is by practice and experience!!

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the June 2015 paper would you?
Definition of spin-spin coupling: When the hydrogens attached to on carbon influence the hydrogens on the adjacent carbon atoms. This gives rise to the splitting patterns on the NMR spectrum.
Original post by yoda123
I'm going to do NMR like this
Peak at 0.8 ppm due to R-CH
Triplet: adjacent to CH2
Peak area of 3: CH3
-CH2CH3

Same, also when you write out -ch2ch3 circle the proton from the peak you were referring to :smile: It makes it much clearer for you when you go back and piece it together.
Original post by qweening
Definition of spin-spin coupling: When the hydrogens attached to on carbon influence the hydrogens on the adjacent carbon atoms. This gives rise to the splitting patterns on the NMR spectrum.

would we need to know this definition?
Original post by danthebox

Some are piss easy vs other harder ones. For the last year one I only got marks for working it out. TBH though, it was the hardest Q in the paper, and 4/8 or whatever it was for just getting the groups and splitting patterns and all that isn't bad for the hardest question.
would we need to know this definition?

Tbh I wouldn't think so but it's an easy one to remember
Does anyone know where to find the F324 June 2015 mark scheme? Or even an unofficial one?
I thought that when you have a 13C NMR the peak area didn't mean anything, but in the 2015 paper it did and you had peaks for 1 carbon and 2 carbons, can anyone explain this to me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending