The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KB_97
But are you not meant to heat it to get the silver mirror or is my memory failing me? If it says state the reagent and conditions I can't put tollens for both.

What question is this?

All I know for Tollens is it's a redox. You add it to Aldehyde or Ketone and if it is Aldehyde a silver mirror/ppt forms if not, then no OBSERVATIONAL change- I am sure writing no change/reaction maybe wrong cause something changes but you can't see.

I don't remember anything about conditions for tollens.
Original post by ranz
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465822559.240373.jpg

guys whats ur approach to this qs, how would i know not to draw one straight chain like i drew, this qs confused me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this. The 1st one is just copy and paste of the top thing, the second is much harder, I hate drawing cyclic. TBH, I'd accept that as empty/do it last. I rather miss 1 or 2 marks and get the paper done with precision than waste time on it. These ones are made for the best candidates. I am aiming for like A lower end or high B.
Original post by ranz

guys whats ur approach to this qs, how would i know not to draw one straight chain like i drew, this qs confused me

Posted from TSR Mobile

For m/z= 129
The nh2 group and -cooh group on the same compound react together to Form a cyclic structure with an amide bond.

For m/z = 258
258/2 = 2
So that means 2 of that compound has reacted together forming another cyclic structure with the nh2 of one compound creating an amide bond with cooh of the other and vice versa. There's 2 different ways to join the 2 compounds. Either is credited.
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

when you calculate the m/r of the polyglumatic acid you got 129, so you would just wrap the entire thing out to get the left image. 258/129=2, so you would just wrap 2 polyglumatic acid up to form a 10 side polygon lol.
Original post by ReTakingF324/5
What question is this?

All I know for Tollens is it's a redox. You add it to Aldehyde or Ketone and if it is Aldehyde a silver mirror/ppt forms if not, then no OBSERVATIONAL change- I am sure writing no change/reaction maybe wrong cause something changes but you can't see.

I don't remember anything about conditions for tollens.

There's no specific question. I'm just talking about it generally. Thanks anyway
always wondered this, in the nucleophilic mechanisms does the curly arrow go from the lone pairs or the negative charge?
And for electrophilic mechanism does the lone pair go to the positive charge or to the atom which has the positive charge on it?
Reply 1046
oops posted it twice
Original post by tcameron
always wondered this, in the nucleophilic mechanisms does the curly arrow go from the lone pairs or the negative charge?
And for electrophilic mechanism does the lone pair go to the positive charge or to the atom which has the positive charge on it?

Nucleophilic goes from the lone pair. Because curly arrow represents the movement of an electron pair. I'd personally put it from the electrons but u might get credited if you put it from negative charge because the electrons are giving it that negative charge.

For electrophillic I do it to the atom because the atom is gaining the electrons not the charge.
Reply 1048
Original post by lai812matthew
when you calculate the m/r of the polyglumatic acid you got 129, so you would just wrap the entire thing out to get the left image. 258/129=2, so you would just wrap 2 polyglumatic acid up to form a 10 side polygon lol.

but how would u know its a cylic and not just 2 joined tigether in a striaght chain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lone pairs. I don't know what you mean for the 2nd part?
AQA papers are so much harder. If you want to practise harder questions try them out.
Reply 1051
I did this. The 1st one is just copy and paste of the top thing, the second is much harder, I hate drawing cyclic. TBH, I'd accept that as empty/do it last. I rather miss 1 or 2 marks and get the paper done with precision than waste time on it. These ones are made for the best candidates. I am aiming for like A lower end or high B.

its crazy how this kittle qs is only worth one mark soo much time. this oaper is full of those silly one markers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
but how would u know its a cylic and not just 2 joined tigether in a striaght chain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Draw the straight chain one and then calculate it's m/r. It wouldn't equal the values they give you
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact that it says it is not a polymer and the molecular mass decreased is always an indication that the structure must be cyclic - that's what my teacher said
Lone pairs. I don't know what you mean for the 2nd part?

like for the reaction of chlorine with benzene, does the curly arrow go to the Cl or the + next to the Cl
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably about alpha amino acids which form diemers that are cyclic peptides so the assumption is that is must be a cyclic compound. Otherwise, if its not mentioned that it's an alpha amino acids,then it could be a straight chain.

For nucleophilic mechanisms the curly arrow can go from the lone pair or the negative charge. The -ve charge represents the lone pair, so as long as you use one or the other I don't think it matters.
For electrophilic mechanisms the curly arrow can just go to the electrophile, it doesn't have to be the +ve charge. This is what the mark scheme says anyway.
Can someone clarify that the splitting patterns in NMR are the adjacent protons on the adjacent CARBON atom?
Original post by rory58824
Can someone clarify that the splitting patterns in NMR are the adjacent protons on the adjacent CARBON atom?

Singlet = adjacent to no C bonded to a H
Doublet = adjacent to CH
Triplet = adjacent to CH2
Quartet = adjacent to CH3
Septet = adjacent to 2xCH3
whatever else you can just call multiplet
remember must only be protons which aren't in the same proton environment as the proton you're identifying so -CH2CH2- will not be split

C13 nmr does not have splitting
Singlet = adjacent to no C bonded to a H
Doublet = adjacent to CH
Triplet = adjacent to CH2
Quartet = adjacent to CH3
Septet = adjacent to 2xCH3
whatever else you can just call multiplet
remember must only be protons which aren't in the same proton environment as the proton you're identifying so -CH2CH2- will not be split

C13 nmr does not have splitting

So the spltting patterns only include protons on adjacent CARBON atoms, not adjacent nitrogen or oxygen atoms?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending