The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lai812matthew
the only hard thing of splitting is CH3-CH2-CH3 which they ask once in this spec only, and never in the last spec i think.

that would be a septet or just multiplet
you'd say it's adjacent to 2xCH3
Just like the oxygen shields hydrogen atom in OH to produce a splitting, does Nitrogen to the same for NH2?
Original post by AqsaMx
Why though..?

benzyl alcohol is C6H5CH2OH. don't ask me why though......
Original post by tcameron
that would be a septet or just multiplet
you'd say it's adjacent to 2xCH3

it would not be in a high resolution NMR.
it would not be in a high resolution NMR.

why wouldn't it be?
Original post by KB_97
They'll surely tell you the compound is a halogenoalkane then tell you to work out its structure right? There wouldn't be a peak for bromine would there?

Hopefully
why wouldn't it be?

cuz you take the highest number of neighbouring protons in consideration first. (3) then the one with less number of neighbouring protons (it is again 3). n+1 rule, so it would be a quartet (the one with more protons) of quartets (the one with less protons) i think. my teacher got very angry when he saw the answer allows heptet.

(p.s. this is not in the spec and you can write heptet !!!!!!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RayMasterio
Just like the oxygen shields hydrogen atom in OH to produce a splitting, does Nitrogen to the same for NH2?

Yes as we have an N-H peak
it would be a quartet of quartets. cuz you take the highest number of neighbouring protons in consideration first. (3) then the one with less number of neighbouring protons (it is still 3). so i think it would be a quartet of quartets. my teacher got very angry when he saw the answer allows heptet.

Please, stop making our lives more difficult, most of us find NMR on the spec hard enough lol.
Original post by rory58824
Please, stop making our lives more difficult, most of us find NMR on the spec hard enough lol.

i fear that one day they would not allow this and we will all cry at the exam room
i fear that one day they would not allow this and we will all cry at the exam room

pls no
cuz you take the highest number of neighbouring protons in consideration first. (3) then the one with less number of neighbouring protons (it is again 3). n+1 rule, so it would be a quartet (the one with more protons) of quartets (the one with less protons) i think. my teacher got very angry when he saw the answer allows heptet.

not heptet it is a septet - and quartet of quartets is the same as a septet
you don't even need to be specific - past quartet you can just call it multiplet
Original post by pineneedles
Yeah, I got confused about that one when I was doing it, but my teacher said not to worry about the splitting of any benzene peaks, apparently it's higher level than A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, thanks. :smile:
Will anyone be doing UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME tomorow?
Do trans unsaturated fats have higher melting points because they pack closely together?
Do trans unsaturated fats have higher melting points because they pack closely together?

yes more points of contact so stronger intermolecular forces require more energy to break
For H' NMR questions i sometimes find that the question includes, for example "this peak at 3.7ppm is usually found at 2.7ppm" do we need to know why the peak is further downfield/upfield than expected?
Original post by qweening
yes more points of contact so stronger intermolecular forces require more energy to break

Thanks guys, keep forgetting to go over this. Is it just trans unsaturated or cis too or...? :s
Original post by shamsaidk
can someone pls help me, the exams hours away and nothings sticking into my head and i can't even do a full past paper yet LOL :frown:

hours away isn't it tomorrow afternoon

Yeah

Cis vs trans (polar vs non-polar)

"Trans alkene has an organised structure, a packed structure due to which it has a higher melting point. Cis alkene has a higher dipole moment due to which it is more ionic, hence higher boiling point."

Short answer:

cis is is polar, trans is non polar = cis has higher BP.

trans is more packed/structured = trans has higher MP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending