The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ranz
someone pls clarifyyy! if a zwitteriom contained 2 nh2 and 2 cooh would they all protonate? or just one each?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they will all protonate
Original post by Mathematicus65
Can someone explain how on earth the answer to this is 1.35g not 0.216g...?!image.jpg

Method 1:
----------------------------------------------------------
Take 1.73g as Actual

Use Actual/Theoretical x 100 = 40%

Rearrange to find theoretical grams or X

Convert theoretical grams to moles, 1:1 mole ratio, therefore moles of D = Moles of 1,3 Diaminobenzene

Use (moles 1,3 diaminobenzene) x 108 to get 1.35g

. I think you have put 0.005 moles as your theoretical when 0.005 is the actual yield. You have to calculate the theoretical.

Method 2 (your method)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Calculate moles of D to be 0.005

So using the moles in the (A/T x 100= 40%). Rearranged to calculate T, it would be: 0.005/40% x 100 = 0.0125 'theoretical moles' of D.

1:1 ratio therefore moles of diaminobenzene is 0.0125.

Then 0.0125 x 108 = 1.35.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ranz
someone pls clarifyyy! if a zwitteriom contained 2 nh2 and 2 cooh would they all protonate? or just one each?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if in pH below isoelectric point (pH at which amino acid exists as a zwitterion), all COOH are COOH and all NH2 are NH3+
if in pH above isoelectric point, all COOH are COO- and all NH2 are NH2

Hope this makes any sense
Original post by ranz
i keeep hearing different things from people

Posted from TSR Mobile

There has been past papers testing this in the past - I'm 100% sure I'm right
Original post by itsConnor_
1. Glycerol and propane-1,2,3-triol (came up in june 13 tho :frown:)
2. Colour change from orange to green (oxidation using acidified K2Cr2O7, H2SO4 catalyst), heat under reflux
3. CH2OHCH(OH)CH2OH + 5[O] --> COOHCOCOOH + 3H2O
4. ?

EDIT: for 4 is it cos no ester linkage or amide linkage?

Ooops, number 4 was typo; should be suggest why organic product in q3 cannot be hydrolyses.
1, 2 and 3 three correct.
Original post by ranz
i keeep hearing different things from people

Posted from TSR Mobile

if in pH below isoelectric point (pH at which amino acid exists as a zwitterion), all COOH are COOH and all NH2 are NH3+

Original post by lai812matthew
they will all protonate

They don't all protonate… I did a past paper that had a 'zwitterion' with an extra cooh side group and the mark scheme said "reject if both cooh groups are shown to have donated a proton" because only groups directly involved in being an amino acid (eg RCH(NH2)COOH) actually protonate
Reply 1286

what about in standard isolectric point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

just one each because the definition of a zwitterion is the diploar ionic form of an amino acid that is formed by the donation of a H ion from the carboxyl group to the amino group. As both charges are present there is no overall charge.

Both = 2
What is a simple repeat unit?

the isolectric point is when it exists as a zwitterion, not below the isoelectric point
Sorry I know people have asked a couple of times in this thread for the 2015 F324 mark scheme but I can't find it, please can someone post it again?
Original post by embem10
Sorry I know people have asked a couple of times in this thread for the 2015 F324 mark scheme but I can't find it, please can someone post it again?

http://stsmith.co.uk/data/documents/F324_MS_June15.pdf
Zwitter ions.PNGZwitter ion mark scheme.PNG This is what the mark scheme says on Zwitter ions for this question i was confused too so emailed my teacher, and this was her reply but I am still confused:
The NH2 group that is part of the R group is not affected (ionised) at the zwitterion pH, this is because the pH is adjusted to take this group into account. E.g the pH of this amino acid will be above pH 7 as it has a basic group.The NH2 group will be ionised if the amino acid is placed into a solution with a pH less than the zwitterion i.e. in acidic conditionsHope that helpsMiss P
(edited 7 years ago)

You're a saint, thank you so much! <3
When drawing optical isomers in the tetrahedral shape, is there a standard place each group should be? Eg. on amino acids is the COOH drawn on the wedge and the NH2 on the dash? etc.
Original post by annaj97
When drawing optical isomers in the tetrahedral shape, is there a standard place each group should be? Eg. on amino acids is the COOH drawn on the wedge and the NH2 on the dash? etc.

Nope, you can draw it in any orientation
Original post by annaj97

I tend to draw the R group as the wedge as in its in the middle and the NH2 and COOH on either side with the single H vertically upwards, that way it quite clearly and a-amino acid, but i imagine you are not punished either way :smile:
Original post by Magicalgeofray
Zwitter ions.PNGZwitter ion mark scheme.PNG This is what the mark scheme says on Zwitter ions for this question i was confused too so emailed my teacher, and this was her reply but I am still confused:

Help on this please as I very confused :frown:
Original post by Magicalgeofray

Zwitterion is DIPOLAR ion not tripolar or quartpolar so only 2 groups should have a charge
Only when you add and acid or alkali do the other R groups then gain a charge as it is no longer in the dipolar ion (zwitterion) form
Original post by tcameron
Zwitterion is DIPOLAR ion not tripolar or quartpolar so only 2 groups should have a charge
Only when you add and acid or alkali do the other R groups then gain a charge as it is no longer in the dipolar ion (zwitterion) form

Perfect thank you :smile: Your explanation is the clearest i have heard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending