The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know why D20 is used in nmr spectroscopy?

Also, if anyone has links to nmr and combined spectroscopy practice questions ( like at the end of the paper) I can't find any!

Thanks
QUESTION: Does carboxylic acid get reduce by NaBH4?
Original post by Magicalgeofray
Perfect thank you :smile: Your explanation is the clearest i have heard

sorry for the bluntness, I was getting tired of other people saying the incorrect things
Original post by sakuraton

No
Why do only O-H and N-H peaks disappear when you add D2O?
Original post by greenorange

Also, if anyone has links to nmr and combined spectroscopy practice questions ( like at the end of the paper) I can't find any!

Thanks

D2O Undergoes Proton exchange with the Hydrogen atoms (protons). D atoms have an even number of nucleons so are undetected in the NMR spectra and results in no O-H or N-H peaks

no, only carbonyls (aldehydes and ketones)
D2O Undergoes Proton exchange with the Hydrogen atoms (protons). D atoms have an even number of nucleons so are undetected in the NMR spectra and results in no O-H or N-H peaks

Thanks

No it doesn't

Thanks

Using D2O swaps the protons of -NH, -OH and -COOH so these don't show up on the spectrum, which helps in identification

Thanks

It used to identify OH,SH, NH2 etc. They go through proton exchange and disappear from HNMR peak

Thanks

D20 is used when there is a alcohol or amine group because when you add D20, the Deuterium (hydrogen atom with even number of nucleons in nucleus) undergoes proton exchange witht he compound. This means the O-H changes to O-D for example. D doesn not produce a peak on NMR (because of equal nucleons so no spin)
Therefore you compare the spec before and after adding D20 to identify which peak was caused by O-H/N-H because they can occur over a large range of ppm values so it just makes everything easier :smile:
Original post by annaj97

Their protons are exchangeable/labile as the D atom can replace the H's
Original post by annaj97

Don't forget -COOH
Original post by ranz
what about in standard isolectric point

Posted from TSR Mobile

At isoelectric point it exists as zwitterion with NO OVERALL CHARGE (in definition) hence its only COO- and NH3+ and the R group is NOT affected :smile:

Why does this only happen with O-H and N-H peaks?
Original post by CalistaJupiter
They don't all protonate… I did a past paper that had a 'zwitterion' with an extra cooh side group and the mark scheme said "reject if both cooh groups are shown to have donated a proton" because only groups directly involved in being an amino acid (eg RCH(NH2)COOH) actually protonate

yes BUT if its then in acidic conditions or pH below isoelectric point, the ALL NH2s become NH3+ :smile: COOH stay COOH

pH above IP, all COOH beccome COO- and NH2 stay NH2
Original post by annaj97

-OH, -NH and -COOH protons are labile and easily interchange with D2O protons
Original post by Rust Cohle
Ooops, number 4 was typo; should be suggest why organic product in q3 cannot be hydrolyses.
1, 2 and 3 three correct.

still think its cos theres no amide/peptide/ester linkage hence cannot hydrolyse? :/
Original post by annaj97

It can to COOH and S-H as well and the reason is because their protons are easily exchangeable/'labile'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending