The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chem1stry101
An aldehyde H can be split

Eg in ethanal CH3CHO, the aldehyde H would be a quartet due to the adjacent CH3 group

in the data sheet, the ones with * would not be splitting in the diagram shown in exam. http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/74947-datasheet.pdf , and aldehyde is not one of them.
Original post by fannehh
When asked to identify what feature causes stereoisomerism, is it just any double bound in the molecule?

and chiral carbon
june 2015 markscheme and paper unit 4
Original post by lai812matthew
and chiral carbon

Thanks!
Original post by fannehh
When asked to identify what feature causes stereoisomerism, is it just any double bound in the molecule?

Non rotation around a c=c bond as well as different substituent groups
And optical isomerism where a carbon has 4 different substituent groups so it is chiral so forms a non superimposable mirror image
If you have symmetry and one environment is mirrored elsewhere in the molecule, just look at one side for the splitting pattern.

Eg if you had CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 it is symmetrical. So only 2 H environments. The CH3 peak would be a triplet due to the neighbouring CH2, and the CH2 would be a quartet due the neighbouring CH3

But just to check if you had CH3CH2CH2CH3 the CH3 would be split into a triplet but the CH2 would not be split as its symmetrical?
Really wish the exam was in the morning, gonna be stressing over it until 13:45
Original post by yoda123

I agree especially as I have two exams the next day and one on Thursday so I'm not really going to be able to revise much for the ones on wednesday
Reply 1448
Original post by yoda123

same, just cba!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1449
Original post by Jehaan
But just to check if you had CH3CH2CH2CH3 the CH3 would be split into a triplet but the CH2 would not be split as its symmetrical?

ch2 would split into quartet right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do u use pencil for displayed formula, skeletal, etc and do you have to use pencil
what do I write for bonding and structure for benzene??

good luck guys btw
Can carboxylic acids be reduced by NABH4 aswell?
If you have symmetry and one environment is mirrored elsewhere in the molecule, just look at one side for the splitting pattern.

Eg if you had CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 it is symmetrical. So only 2 H environments. The CH3 peak would be a triplet due to the neighbouring CH2, and the CH2 would be a quartet due the neighbouring CH3

But in this case, the two CH2 groups would be in the same environment (peak integration:4), and the two CH3 groups will also be in the same environment (peak integration:6)
Would the peak representing the two CH2 groups not be split into a septet tho because there is a CH3 group neighbouring each of them (so 6 neighbouring protons in total?)
And vice versa, the peak representing the two CH3 groups will be a quintet?
Soz I'm confused af lol
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right
Original post by ranz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a legacy paper and I think the answer said that it can't be split as it can't split itself if that makes sense
also, do aromatics have a splitting patters?
No
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
Can carboxylic acids be reduced by NABH4 aswell?
Original post by thesmallman
But in this case, the two CH2 groups would be in the same environment (peak integration:4), and the two CH3 groups will also be in the same environment (peak integration:6)
Would the peak representing the two CH2 groups not be split into a septet tho because there is a CH3 group neighbouring each of them (so 6 neighbouring protons in total?)
And vice versa, the peak representing the two CH3 groups will be a quintet?
Soz I'm confused af lol

No my splitting pattern description was correct. And integration would be 2:3 not 4:6 as its simplified
Original post by rahma1994
what do I write for bonding and structure for benzene??

good luck guys btw

Overlap of p orbitals = pi bonds
Overlap of more land 2 carbons=delocalised electrons
Benzene has a delocalised ring system
The 6 electrons are shared over 6 carbons give a low electron density
Benzene is planar, with bond angles of 120 degrees
That's all I can think of

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending