The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
Original post by lai812matthew
just read the book, the page about synthetic methods of aliphatic compounds have a very misleading image, which lead to a lot of people thinking that carboxylic acids could not be reduced. amuses me that they do not include it in the spec, but give questions exactly about reducing carboxylic acids in the exam lol.

but do they get reduced also by nabh4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry i know this has been asked before:

What would be the splitting pattern for CH3-CH2-CH2-CH3 (Butane)?

I know there are 2 hydrogen environments due to the symmetry, but the symmentry also affects the splitting and I'm confused as to what the effect is exactly. Thanks in advance.
Original post by ranz
but do they get reduced also by nabh4

Posted from TSR Mobile

no not by nabh4, but another molecule we don't need to know
Original post by Obi-Wan
Sorry i know this has been asked before:

What would be the splitting pattern for CH3-CH2-CH2-CH3 (Butane)?

I know there are 2 hydrogen environments due to the symmetry, but the symmentry also affects the splitting and I'm confused as to what the effect is exactly. Thanks in advance.

triplet quartet with integration trace 3:2.
(edited 7 years ago)
just read the book, the page about synthetic methods of aliphatic compounds have a very misleading image, which lead to a lot of people thinking that carboxylic acids could not be reduced. amuses me that they do not include it in the spec, but give questions exactly about reducing carboxylic acids in the exam lol.

Is this about reducing with nabh4? Because that only reduced carbonyl compounds (ketones and aldehydes). I asked my teacher why we can't use it for carboxylic acid and he said it wouldn't reduce it because it's no strong enough or something like that.

No you don't. Just that nh3 is in excess. I was just explaining it so you understand why. :smile:

just thinking, they could ask us to suggest a suitable isotope for certain element (e.g. N,P) to perform a magnetic resonance.

Nitrogen already has an odd number of nucleons. So does P. Do you think the could ask for halogens though. Because they might throw in a molecule containing halogens for the proton name question
triplet quartet with integration trace 1:1 .

Wouldn't the integration be 3:2??
Original post by biologyworm
Wouldn't the integration be 3:2??

yes i got it wrong
Would an NH2 produce a splitting pattern?
just thinking, they could ask us to suggest a suitable isotope for certain element (e.g. N,P) to perform a magnetic resonance.

What examples would you give for N and P?
Original post by underestimate
Would an NH2 produce a splitting pattern?

It would produce a single like O-H but with an integration trace of 2.
What are the conditions for diazonium ion + phenol reaction?
Original post by xMillnsy
What are the conditions for diazonium ion + phenol reaction?

alkaline
I hope they give you the integration values for the name question. It helps me so much
Looks like I'll finish the paper before most people on here. I'll be panicking about my answers till the rest of you come on here. I'll finish the paper at 2:15
What does the 6moldm-3 HCl for 24 hours, heating under reflux do?
Original post by KB_97
Looks like I'll finish the paper before most people on here. I'll be panicking about my answers till the rest of you come on here. I'll finish the paper at 2:15

mine starts at 2
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
What does the 6moldm-3 HCl for 24 hours, heating under reflux do?

hydrolyses peptides with NH3+ s and COOH s.
http://us20.chatzy.com/27882973356288
ANYONE WHO FANCIES Some last minute quickfire stuff
please join
Original post by AqsaMx
What examples would you give for N and P?

15 for N, 31 for P. um maybe not P would be ask then. also 19 for F.
Does anyone have the OCR breadth in chemistry specimen paper link like the one that we did for mocks that OCR send the teachers??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending