The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2240
Original post by Timon512
Sorry. His logic is just so flawed.

Where in our textbook does it talk about fatty acids breaking down into fats? Thought this was a chemistry exam not a biology exam :smile:

P.S you used the wrong 'too' (*to) in your original post.
What were the conditions for making the amine from halogenoalkane ? ethanolic ammonia, and I said distillation?
Original post by JodieMae
That's what I did :smile:

I swear it was (ch3)3ch2oh,
becuase the relative peak area of the hnmr was 9 for one of them
Original post by Cal 1
It's the question where they added dilute HCl to a diamide (I think). People were discussing whether the NH would turn to NH2, NH3 or NH3+ or NH3+Cl-. I think the later 2 will be accepted.

Was this the one which asked you to draw the two structures?
If that's the one, NH3+ is correct.
Guys do any of you know, if there is a unoffcial markscheme yet?
Original post by mechanism
What were the conditions for making the amine from halogenoalkane ? ethanolic ammonia, and I said distillation?

HUR mate.
question about stitches: is it asking about hydrolysis of photodegradable. or you need both to score 3.
can someone please answer
what would happen if you drew the correct compound in the wrong box for FGHI questions
Reply 2248
Original post by slugmonkey97
lol, if any of you had acc read the question you would have seen it said theyre all natural fats, trans unsatuated fats are produced unnaturally therefore it has to be the saturated fat... if you went for one of the unsaturated fats it would be cis and therefore good for you.

Some trans fats are made naturally. Literally type 'are trans fats naturally occurring' into google and you'll find that some are.
In the one where you had to draw ethanoic anhydride and another product, was the other product ethanoic acid?
Original post by Cal 1
Where in our textbook does it talk about fatty acids breaking down into fats? Thought this was a chemistry exam not a biology exam :smile:

P.S you used the wrong 'too' (*to) in your original post.

When the Hell did I ever say fatty Acids break down into Fats? That is the biggest pile of bulls**** I've seen all day. All I said was that Saturated Fats will form Saturated Fatty acids and as slugmonkey97 correctly pointed out and as I mentioned earlier, your THIRD fatty acid would most likely be a Cis Fat. Just because it has 2 C=C double bonds instead of one, it does't mean it is going to be Trans. You need to hydrogenate it - which as a matter of fact is in the book too - to form a Trans Fat.

Oh, I am sorry I used the wrong "too." Thought this was about a Chemistry exam - not an English exam thread and it was more of a typo. Plus, I see you are reverting to picking the flaws in my sentencing because you have realised how wrong what you said earlier is.

One last thing, Biology stems from Chemistry. They are one and the same...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cal 1
Some trans fats are made naturally. Literally type 'are trans fats naturally occurring' into google and you'll find that some are.

mate saturated fatty acids caused increased ldl production, you're wrong just accept and stop being a berkshire hunt with your arrogant insistence
Original post by lai812matthew
question about stitches: is it asking about hydrolysis of photodegradable. or you need both to score 3.

Both for 3marks.

explain that condensation polymers:
(i) may be photodegradable as the C=O bond absorbs radiation,
(ii) may be hydrolysed at the ester or amide group.
Reply 2253
Original post by Notahugetsrfan
Literally created this account just to say you are chatting a load of shiiiteee (and its annoying me) : its is saturated fatty acids that help cause LDL (as well as transunsaturated fats) - a saturated fat is a saturated fat because it contains saturated fatty acids - glycerol never changes in triglycerides so no idea where you got this saturated fat bad but saturated fatty acid completely fine and dandy idea from; maybe next time don't just think that a biological fact isn't true just because the CHEMISTRY textbook doesn't literally phrase it in the exact way you want.

Never said the biology is wrong, just saying I don't expect the examiners were expecting us to know stuff from biology for a chemistry exam. I think either way, whoever is right, it is a cleverly worded question by saying 'most likely'.
Original post by Joooeee
On past mark schemes I've seen it says 'ALLOW polypeptide' so I would think it will be the same for this year

Do you think theyll accept 'amide' since it asked for the type of condensation polymer inferring poly anyway?
Original post by student.1997
In the one where you had to draw ethanoic anhydride and another product, was the other product ethanoic acid?

Yeah yeah - Ethanoic acid.
Original post by Cal 1
For the first question it was the THIRD fatty acid. The question asked which is 'most LIKELY' to cause heart disease. The third fatty acid is most LIKELY to have at least one trans bond, and therefore most likely to be a trans fatty acid. It is TRANS FATTY ACIDS that act like SATURATED FATS. Key point to note here is there is a difference between TRANS FATS and TRANS FATTY ACIDS.

trans fats are potentially more damaging than saturated fats as they not only increase ldl levels but they reduce hdl levels according to the spec. I think you could get either fatty acid 1 or 3 depending on your explanation both can be argued
Original post by Cal 1

maybe so, but according to the text book and ocr, the link we're supposed to make is cis are naturally occuring and trans are produced via processes like making margerine
Reply 2258
Original post by Notahugetsrfan
mate saturated fatty acids caused increased ldl production, you're wrong just accept and stop being a berkshire hunt with your arrogant insistence

So do trans fatty acids? why are you in denial? trans fatty acids increase LDL and it is likely that the third will have a trans bond that's all I am saying.
Original post by Cal 1
So do trans fatty acids? why are you in denial? trans fatty acids increase LDL and it is likely that the third will have a trans bond that's all I am saying.

Answer to the first question was the first acid bro, the saturated one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending