The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suibster
I know many of you have asked this question before, but could someone elaborate on how to work this out ? [part (ii)]
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 12.37.50.png
Attachment not found

I under standard that the Ag+ + Cl- --> agcl Calculating 2.2868/(107.9+35.5) I'd get 0.02 which is the mole for agcl. The mole ratio of cl- to agcl is 0.01 : 0.02(1:2). But how could there be 2Agcl and 1cl- ? It just doesn't make much sense to me as the equation doesn't balance up.

I think you may want to read the questions again. It says it uses 0.01 moles of a COMPLEX. Not of cl- ions. And this forms 0.02 moles of AgCl. This means that the complex must contain 2 cl- ions.
An example is thinking of crisps. If each crisp packet contained 3 prizes. (Wierd example lol). There would still be 1.0 mole of crisps. But if I wanted to work out moles of prizes, I would do 1.0 times 3 as there are 3 in each.
Wow I hope that makes some sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know many of you have asked this question before, but could someone elaborate on how to work this out ? [part (ii)]
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 12.37.50.png
Attachment not found

I under standard that the Ag+ + Cl- --> agcl Calculating 2.2868/(107.9+35.5) I'd get 0.02 which is the mole for agcl. The mole ratio of cl- to agcl is 0.01 : 0.02(1:2). But how could there be 2Agcl and 1cl- ? It just doesn't make much sense to me as the equation doesn't balance up.

Think youve misunderstood pal.

It says, as did I when I first did it.

It says 0.01 mole reacts with excess Ag (however much)

First use n = mass/ mr to find mr of the precipitate

2.868/0.01 gives mr of 286.8

Now the precipitate would be AgCl (as learned from f321).

Using rhe formulae of the complexes, its either 3Cl- reacting, 2Cl- or Cl-.

As Ag is in EXCESS, all Chloride ions will react, therefore meaning either :
3AgCl, 2AgCl or AgCl is formed.

Now find Mr of each and match with Mr of 286.6 to get your answer.

As two chloride ions used, it means complex B was used
Original post by ImNervous
Haha. Thanks for that. And you are right by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers pal :smile:
I think you may want to read the questions again. It says it uses 0.01 moles of a COMPLEX. Not of cl- ions. And this forms 0.02 moles of AgCl. This means that the complex must contain 2 cl- ions.
An example is thinking of crisps. If each crisp packet contained 3 prizes. (Wierd example lol). There would still be 1.0 mole of crisps. But if I wanted to work out moles of prizes, I would do 1.0 times 3 as there are 3 in each.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That does make sense! Thank you.
Original post by zirak46
Cu2+ + 2e- <-> Cu (s)
That is the eq on the table.
Adding H2O, decreases conc of Cu2+.
As its eq, the eq will shift to left to compensate. Therefore its more:

Cu (s) -> Cu2+ + 2e-

Hence, more oxidiation.

But the thing to understand I think is that, less Cu2+,so eq shifts to the left.

This means, the EP value decreases and so overall cell potential between Ag and Cu will increase due to the larger difference in EP between the two.

Hope that makes sense. (Im literally explaining this from wha I figured from nervous' answer, literally just understood all this from him, thought id give him a break though :wink: )

Okay, suppose it just asked for the emf of Copper. By this logic, if the equilibrium shifted left then the overall cell emf becomes positive? because it's losing electrons?

Edit: Or is it because it moves to the left, the cu2+ is gaining more electrons and so the emf of the cell is negative?
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had a think about the question again and I believe your example is wrong, as you can not simply just change the moles of a reactant.
My conclusion is that since there's two CL- in complex B and there's 0.01 moles of B.
This means if complex b were to dissociate, it would be this:
[Co(nh3)5cl]2+2CL- ---> [Conh3)5cl]2+ + 2Cl-
So the mole ratio is 1:2 so 0.01 : 0.02

When this cl- reacts with ag+, the equation would be ag+ + cl- ---> agcl
mole ratio being 1:1 or (0.02:0.02)
Reply 2786
HOW can i revise for this exam?? other than past papers and legacy papers? :frown: WANT an A! tipss pleasse
image.jpgCan someone please tell me why the answer is -2.31. I don't understand why it's negative.
Original post by KB_97
image.jpgCan someone please tell me why the answer is -2.31. I don't understand why it's negative.

Think about the standard cell potential formula

Standard cell potential = positive terminal - negative terminal

Rule: Oxidation= Negative terminal , Reduction=Positive terminal

Identify what's being oxidised and reduced.

O2 is being reduced so ------> Positive terminal

2.71 = 0.4 - (Negative terminal)

Rearrange to get Negative terminal = 0.4 - 2.71

Negative terminal (Al) = -2.31 V
Original post by KB_97

Whichever reaction is being reduced is the largest electrode potential value.

Cell potential is Largest Ep - Smallest Ep value

Hence: 0.4 - (Ep of other half cell) = 2.71
Rearrange to get Ep of ther half cell = -2.71
Original post by tcameron
whenever we do kc calculations the inital moles of the reactants is always known as that's what is added to make the products so the initial moles of the products is always 0
so that's why you needed to use the products as their initial moles were 0
all it was was 0.168x3

i'm confused again :frown:

we already know the moles for the reactant is three?
I've had a think about the question again and I believe your example is wrong, as you can not simply just change the moles of a reactant.
My conclusion is that since there's two CL- in complex B and there's 0.01 moles of B.
This means if complex b were to dissociate, it would be this:
[Co(nh3)5cl]2+2CL- ---> [Conh3)5cl]2+ + 2Cl-
So the mole ratio is 1:2 so 0.01 : 0.02

When this cl- reacts with ag+, the equation would be ag+ + cl- ---> agcl
mole ratio being 1:1 or (0.02:0.02)

That's right. That's what I was trying to achieve with my *****y example lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys does anyone have the unofficial markscheme for f324? Pleeeeeeaaaassssseeeeeeeeeeee
how to tackle those redox titrations at the end????????
Original post by Sab_007

easiest way is to annotate over what it's saying & may draw a diagram to illustrate it better
they'll always be a easy moles calculation in those anyways - no real method but I feel like there won't be a redox titration this year as there were soo many redox questions last year
Original post by Sab_007

do more
Reply 2796
For electrode potential, in a full cell
Does reduction happen on the positive terminal or negative terminal of the cell?
For example, silver-copper cell
Ag+ + e- = Ag has E= +0.80v
Cu2+ + 2e- = Cu has E = +0.34v
I get that Ag half cell would be going in forward direction and would be the reduction, so in the full cell would the Ag terminal be the positive or negative terminal?
Original post by lai812matthew
do more

lol i have done loads, still find it confusing tho
Original post by zirak46
Hello peeps, could someone please explain how in electrochemical cells we decide which half cell is negative electrode and which is positive?

So when drawing a diagram of two half cells, which one goes on left or right?

The question is from Jan 12

*not letting me upload pic*

Cathode
Positive
Reduction

The equation being reduced is the positive electrode and therefore in an electro-chemical cell the cathode. CPR :wink:
Reply 2799
Screenshot.pngany help appreciated.... entropy questions!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending