The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
Please never call a metal ion a base. That is incorrect in every way.

I agree. HA would react with the Mg2+ ions but a proton itself would be repelled by the positive charges. Its the OH- in Mg(OH-)2 that makes it a base. So yes it would react with the HA Itself but not the protons.

CH3COOH <---------> CH3COO- + H+

Mg2+ would form Mg2+(CH3COO-)2 + 2H+

So for the buffer, the equilibrium would move ultimately left as more CH3COO- ions and H+ ions would be produced from reaction with Mg2+.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow
Transition metal ions can be considered Lewis acids, like halogen carriers such as FeBr3.

Rightt? But it doesn't actually have a proton to donate?

[HA]<---> [H+] + [A-]

So it reacts with A- and equilibrium shifts to the left?
Original post by BioStudentx
So is Mg2+ an acid or a base? >.< Holy **** i'm screwed (and confused).

+1 dw, wish i never read this thread now... it cant give any H+ ions how can it be an acid LOL
Reply 3163

[HA]<---> [H+] + [A-]

I said a Lewis acid, not a Brønsted–Lowry acid.
Reply 3164
Original post by BanterBus
+1 dw, wish i never read this thread now... it cant give any H+ ions how can it be an acid LOL

A Lewis acid.
So is Mg2+ an acid or a base? >.< Holy **** i'm screwed (and confused).

It's acting as a conjugate acid
Original post by alow
Transition metal ions can be considered Lewis acids, like halogen carriers such as FeBr3.

alow m8 just allow it, for this spec we dont need to know Lewis acids, take it to another thread.
Reply 3167
alow m8 just allow it, for this spec we dont need to know Lewis acids, take it to another thread.

Clearly you do, because if not you won't be able to understand these equilibria.
Original post by alow
A Lewis acid.

haven't kept up with the discussion in recent minutes but where's the lone pair that it's accepting to become a lewis acid?

[HA]<---> [H+] + [A-]

it accepts an electron pair so it is a lewis acid. i'm not sure if they ask for lewis acids and bases in exam????? it is in the book's blue boxes.
anyone got the mark scheme for the June 15 paper?
Reply 3171
Original post by tomlam
haven't kept up with the discussion in recent minutes but where's the lone pair that it's accepting to become a lewis acid?

It can form an adduct with two acetate ions.

Original post by alow
Clearly you do, because if not you won't be able to understand these equilibria.

Looks like we've memorised it and not understood it. Oh dear. I have no clue what Lewis acids are or why it's accepting electrons or how this relates to equilibria. Lets hope they just add a normal acid or a normal base, like a normal person...
Original post by lai812matthew
it accepts an electron pair so it is a lewis acid. i'm not sure if they ask for lewis acids and bases in exam????? it is in the book's blue boxes.

If it's in the blue boxes, knowing OCR it's bound to be a 6 marker. We're screwed.
Reply 3174
Looks like we've memorised it and not understood it. Oh dear. I have no clue what Lewis acids are or why it's accepting electrons or how this relates to equilibria. Lets hope they just add a normal acid or a normal base, like a normal person...

It's the same as using AlCl3 as a halogen carrier, where the Lewis acid (AlCl3) accepts an electron pair from a halide.
I was making the (crude) assumption that he's talking about reacting Mg(OH)2 with an acid. As during buffer/neutralisation questions they'd state to add Mg(OH)2, not just leave it as "Mg2+".

The question just said magnesium, they added magnesium.
Question 6a for the June 15 paper http://stsmith.co.uk/data/documents/F325-01-QP-Jun15.pdf

How the F325 am I supposed to know which is more negative?
Reply 3177
Original post by Dinasaurus

That's a lot simpler then. Just a simple acid+metal rxn.
Original post by Dinasaurus

**** knows. Take your chances and pick a direction?
**** knows. Take your chances and pick a direction?

I guess because Metal + Acid makes a Metal Salt of the Acid, you would have to reduce the amount of acid used as the metal is reacting with it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending