The Student Room Group

Medicine

I've been planning on studying a biological degree but I've changed my mind and now want to study medicine. however I feel it's too late as I have to start the application process now and I have no work experience and I can't get any in the summer due to having a job??
Any words of advice?
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
I've been planning on studying a biological degree but I've changed my mind and now want to study medicine. however I feel it's too late as I have to start the application process now and I have no work experience and I can't get any in the summer due to having a job??
Any words of advice?

Are you in year 12? If so, take a gap year. Get some experience over the next year and apply after a-levels. You can spend your gap year gaining more experience, save some money, see the world. You don't need to go straight from college to uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Helpmeoutplease
Any words of advice?

What year are you in? 12 or 13? :smile:
Original post by 06shawm
What year are you in? 12 or 13? :smile:

A gap year can sound daunting but you should consider it. On the other hand, you could just not apply in year 13 and focus on finding work experience and volunteering for a medical application. Even if you didn't have a job it would be a bit late now to do work experience or volunteering as medical schools like to see a long term commitment. You could speak to your school and see if they would let you not apply with the rest of your year and instead apply the following October.
You could also still apply to a biological degree at somewhere that allows you to intercalate into medicine after a few years and then go into it that way.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending