The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - F(x) = Q(x) X divisor + remainder.... HELP

Can someone explain the bit below where you're meant to compare the co-efficients?..

Click to enlarge...
F(x)=Q(x) X Divisor +Remainder.png
(Taken from pg.9 of the Edexcel C3 Modular textbook)
Reply 1
Original post by Philip-flop
Can someone explain the bit below where you're meant to compare the co-efficients?..

Click to enlarge...
F(x)=Q(x) X Divisor +Remainder.png
(Taken from pg.9 of the Edexcel C3 Modular textbook)

Yes see the triple lined equal sign? that means exactly the same.

So you compare the coefficients.

For example Ax^2 +Bx \equiv 5x^2 +2x

so when we compare the x^2 coefficients we understand that Ax^2\equiv 5x^2

so we know A=5

with the textbook just see what multiplies to give every single x^2 terms then set that equal to the x^2 coefficient

you can do that for every single term and sometimes and easier way to do things is you can set x= whatever number to make some 0s so then you can find out that the coefficients are
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jakaloupe
Yes see the triple lined equal sign? that means exactly the same.

So you compare the coefficients.

For example Ax^2 +Bx \equiv 5x^2 +2x

so when we compare the x^2 coefficients we understand that Ax^2\equiv 5x^2

so we know A=5

with the textbook just see what multiplies to give every single x^2 terms then set that equal to the x^2 coefficient

you can do that for every single term and sometimes and easier way to do things is you can set x= whatever number to make some 0s so then you can find out that the coefficients are

I still don't understand. How come the numbers you've used are different to the ones in the text book?

How does comparing x3x^3 mean 1=A1=A ??
Reply 3
I still don't understand. How come the numbers you've used are different to the ones in the text book?

that was just an example sorry

ok so we can get the x3x^3 term by multiplying Ax2 by xAx^2\ by\ x the coefficient of x3x^3 on the left hand side is 1 so A must be 1
Reply 4

He said "For example"

The only way to get a cubed term in that multiplication is by multiplying Ax2Ax^2 by xx

and you know that the x3 x^3 has a coefficient of 1.
(edited 7 years ago)

Most equations are written as ax^2+bx+c

A is a number representing the coefficient of x^2; B is a number representing the coefficient of X, and C is the Y intercept/final number/whatever you want to call it. If you compare ax^3 against 5x^3, you can see that A will be equal to 5.

I think that's the best explanation I have ;-:
that was just an example sorry

ok so we can get the x3x^3 term by multiplying Ax2 by xAx^2\ by\ x the coefficient of x3x^3 on the left hand side is 1 so A must be 1

OMG you're amazing. I think I understand it now.

Is what you're explaining just like what is explained in this video?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNnRoTFA3fc
Reply 7
OMG you're amazing. I think I understand it now.

Is what you're explaining just like what is explained in this video?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNnRoTFA3fc

yes.... wtf they doing lol?

in that first example see to get all the x terms you have to multiply Ax by 2 and B by x so you get 2A+B=7 where the 7 on the left hand side is the x coefficient

Anyway as long as you understand it's all good. :biggrin:
yes.... wtf they doing lol?

in that first example see to get all the x terms you have to multiply Ax by 2 and B by x so you get 2A+B=7 where the 7 on the left hand side is the x coefficient

Anyway as long as you understand it's all good. :biggrin:

Yes I definitely get it now. Thank you so much for the explanation. It was a rookie mistake but I am feeling much more refreshed today so hopefully I won't be silly again :P
Reply 9
Yes I definitely get it now. Thank you so much for the explanation. It was a rookie mistake but I am feeling much more refreshed today so hopefully I won't be silly again :P

Awesome :smile:

(tbh tho i got stuck on this aswell when i first saw it ^-^)

Quick Reply

Latest