The Student Room Group

Science help... describing reactivity

Someone please help, as I am struggling to understand a science question... "Describe what happens to ractivity (with water) as you move down Group 2, the Alkaline Earth Metals."
All/any help would be appreciated as I am currently lacking behind in my science class after missing 3 weeks of school. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
reactivity** sorry!
Original post by Morgan00
Someone please help, as I am struggling to understand a science question... "Describe what happens to ractivity (with water) as you move down Group 2, the Alkaline Earth Metals."
All/any help would be appreciated as I am currently lacking behind in my science class after missing 3 weeks of school. Thanks in advance!

Describe ..., so this will be worth 2-3 marks? A couple of short sentences should get you these.
Group 2 displays a similar trend to Group 1 when in water. Describe that.
Reply 3
The key word "describe" essentially means you need to state a trend or observation. Since there's no "explain", you don't have to substantiate your answer.

1. State the reaction. What are the products formed when you react alkaline metals with water? (Salt and hydrogen gas is formed).
2. State the trend. Down the group of metals, do the metals become increasingly or decreasingly reactive?
3. Depending on the number of marks given, you might have to explain each metal's reaction in detail(observation-based, eg - "no visual change is observed between Beryllium and water...") but I doubt you'll need to add this in, unless the question is really worth like 5 marks or something.
Reply 4
Original post by aldsgsuif
The key word "describe" essentially means you need to state a trend or observation. Since there's no "explain", you don't have to substantiate your answer.

1. State the reaction. What are the products formed when you react alkaline metals with water? (Salt and hydrogen gas is formed).
2. State the trend. Down the group of metals, do the metals become increasingly or decreasingly reactive?
3. Depending on the number of marks given, you might have to explain each metal's reaction in detail(observation-based, eg - "no visual change is observed between Beryllium and water...":wink: but I doubt you'll need to add this in, unless the question is really worth like 5 marks or something.

Thankyou, this helped a lot. The question was only worth 3 marks, so this definetely helped. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest