The Student Room Group

Oxford for medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Come on, 9A* and 3A is clearly a competitive group of results. People will say it's not quite the average, but 9A* and 3A is still a good set of results and I would arguably say it's better than 8A* and 2A even though the percentage of A* to GCSE isn't as good.

I really happy with my results when I got them on results day, but now looking at the statistics of the average candidate applying to Oxford, I don't feel so good anymore. One thing I don't understand is how they can base so much of it on GCSEs. For example I have this one friend who got an A* in Physics because he memorised the whole textbook, but he did not understand any of i.
Original post by Asian5
I really happy with my results when I got them on results day, but now looking at the statistics of the average candidate applying to Oxford, I don't feel so good anymore. One thing I don't understand is how they can base so much of it on GCSEs. For example I have this one friend who got an A* in Physics because he memorised the whole textbook, but he did not understand any of i.

Have you considered Cambridge?
Reply 22
Original post by studentsixth
Have you considered Cambridge?

I thought the entry standard was higher than Oxford? But I prefered Oxford as a place and I feel like I will fit in more with the medical students there than the ones at Cambridge.
Reply 23
Original post by Asian5

If someone took the time to memorise the whole physics textbook and is able to apply what he learnt on physics problems, then he probably deserved the A* lol.

That's how Oxford does things. It's based on past statistics where there was a correlation between percentage of A*s in GCSEs and how likely you are to do well in your exams in Oxford.
Reply 24
Original post by Asian5
I thought the entry standard was higher than Oxford? But I prefered Oxford as a place and I feel like I will fit in more with the medical students there than the ones at Cambridge.

Medical students in Cambridge are no different than in Oxford, not that I know of. In fact, all medical students are the same regardless of which university they go to, whether it's Oxbridge or Bart's or Aberdeen.
Original post by Asian5

Still feel good about your results. The problem with Oxford is that they're so gcse heavy and without everyone doing AS anymore who knows how high they'll place gcse's. I'd say you're still a very competitive candidate and providing you dont mess up your BMAT then no reason why you shouldn't be invited to an interview in my opinion.
Your gcse's are very strong for loads of other unis which aren't so gcse heavy
Reply 26
Original post by Vodka
Medical students in Cambridge are no different than in Oxford, not that I know of. In fact, all medical students are the same regardless of which university they go to, whether it's Oxbridge or Bart's or Aberdeen.

I get what you mean, but I just meant the vibe I got from them
Original post by Vodka

They are not. They learn to different curricula via very different methods, tend to go into different specialties and get substantially different exam results.

But are they all equally employable? Yes.
Reply 28
Original post by tcameron
Still feel good about your results. The problem with Oxford is that they're so gcse heavy and without everyone doing AS anymore who knows how high they'll place gcse's. I'd say you're still a very competitive candidate and providing you dont mess up your BMAT then no reason why you shouldn't be invited to an interview in my opinion.
Your gcse's are very strong for loads of other unis which aren't so gcse heavy

I would need 7's in section one and two, which I have heard is almost impossible to get
Original post by PimpNamedSlikbak
... the only reason people go to oxford is to benefit from the higher quality of education, prestige and for connection making.

You clearly haven't studied at oxford then.

The college system, unrivalled wealth and provision for students, compact city, and tutorial system are all separate huge reasons to apply to Oxford, without even touching on course-related reasons or anything else.

I take it you were rejected?
Original post by Asian5
I would need 7's in section one and two, which I have heard is almost impossible to get

I heard 5's are strong and 6's almost guarantee an interview. So I'd say aim for 6s because it's not like you're far off the average anyways.
Original post by tcameron
I heard 5's are strong and 6's almost guarantee an interview. So I'd say aim for 6s because it's not like you're far off the average anyways.

It doesn't work like that. Unless you have 100% A*s at GCSE (or around 95% for that matter), you will not go through with 5s. Even 6s will not guarantee an interview with a proportion of A*s being at 0.75. He'll have a better shot at Cambridge for sure.
Reply 32
Hi guys,
I got 10a*s and an A at GCSE and at as (it's so annoying that my school did as) I got AAAC in (bio, Chem, rs, and maths) so I dropped maths at a2. Do you guys think I stand a chance? I feel like they might look at my c at as and reject me because of that, especially because most people got 4a's. I really appreciate any advice! Thank you!xx
Original post by Alevelz
Hi guys,
I got 10a*s and an A at GCSE and at as (it's so annoying that my school did as) I got AAAC in (bio, Chem, rs, and maths) so I dropped maths at a2. Do you guys think I stand a chance? I feel like they might look at my c at as and reject me because of that, especially because most people got 4a's. I really appreciate any advice! Thank you!xx

You have 3As. Regarding getting a 4th C, there are far more important factors, like the BMAT and interview. Nothing here to prohibit an application.
My friend got an offer and will be going this October with 9A*s and 2As
do you need BMAT for grads?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending