The Student Room Group

630 av. Ukcat medicine advice?!?

I sat my UKCAT earlier this week before then I was hoping to apply to Cardiff and Nottingham for my unis that require UKCAT for the A100 course. This score was lower than what I wanted to get but I have no idea whether I will be considered with this score? Please advise me whether it will be a wasted application!

(I achieved 7A*s, 3As and 1B at GCSE and AA at AS - predicted A*AA)
Reply 1
Original post by tryingtogetAs
I sat my UKCAT earlier this week before then I was hoping to apply to Cardiff and Nottingham for my unis that require UKCAT for the A100 course. This score was lower than what I wanted to get but I have no idea whether I will be considered with this score? Please advise me whether it will be a wasted application!

Hey, well done on the grades :smile: I'm not sure how Cardiff use these grades, or whether they'll be good enough. But they don't use a cut off value for the UKCAT. From previous threads I gather that Nottingham are fairly UKCAT heavy, allocating points to each subsection score (please confirm this though!) and therefore you would need to weigh up the risks of where you are in this year's deciles (released on UKCAT website).

Wishing you luck in your applications.
A
(edited 7 years ago)

Cardiff use a point scoring system for GCSEs in which your top 9 GCSEs are scored. Via this system you would score 25/27, this is a borderline score for interview, by which I mean usually those with scores of 27, then 26 are invited for interview with an left over places (which there may not be any of) being assigned to those with a score of 25. Cardiff may therefore be a risky choice but it's up to you if you want to take this risk.

You would stand a better chance applying to Birmingham as they score your top 8 GCSEs for 70% of your total score and only assign 30% to UKCAT. Nottingham seems like a good option as they take quite a holistic approach to the application process.

You could also consider looking at Leicester, UCLAN or Bristol (if you are confident in your personal statement). Have you considered BMAT as your GCSEs and overall academic profile is very strong so if you scored well in BMAT you would be a very strong candidate to a BMAT uni?
Original post by elish2chambers
Cardiff use a point scoring system for GCSEs in which your top 9 GCSEs are scored. Via this system you would score 25/27, this is a borderline score for interview, by which I mean usually those with scores of 27, then 26 are invited for interview with an left over places (which there may not be any of) being assigned to those with a score of 25. Cardiff may therefore be a risky choice but it's up to you if you want to take this risk.

You would stand a better chance applying to Birmingham as they score your top 8 GCSEs for 70% of your total score and only assign 30% to UKCAT. Nottingham seems like a good option as they take quite a holistic approach to the application process.

You could also consider looking at Leicester, UCLAN or Bristol (if you are confident in your personal statement). Have you considered BMAT as your GCSEs and overall academic profile is very strong so if you scored well in BMAT you would be a very strong candidate to a BMAT uni?

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately, I got a B in English Languge GCSE so Birmingham and Bristol will not consider my application.

Do Cardiff not also look at the personal statement or other factors other than GCSEs before inviting people for interview?

I am also looking at 2 BMAT unis (Imperial and UCL).

Do Leicester and UCLAN allow low UKCAT scores?
Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately, I got a B in English Languge GCSE so Birmingham and Bristol will not consider my application.

Do Cardiff not also look at the personal statement or other factors other than GCSEs before inviting people for interview?

I am also looking at 2 BMAT unis (Imperial and UCL).

Do Leicester and UCLAN allow low UKCAT scores?

I believe Leicester and UCLAN use both GCSEs, A-Level predictions and personal statement when selecting candidates for interview. I know Leicester require UKCAT (but they aren't too heavy on it) but I don't think UCLAN does require UKCAT, you'll have to double check with that though as I'm not applying to either I'm not 100% sure on the admissions policies.

In regards to Cardiff, I believe they mainly use GCSEs as a selection for interview. If a candidate is borderline following interview then they refer to UKCAT as a decider and personal statements are only checked briefly for any glaring red flags.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending